How do I approach this situation?

scottmcblane

So a few years ago I sent out a travel bug... it failed and got taken by a new cacher after 14km.

Then a few months ago I sent out a new travel bug http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=4370960 with hopes that it would be more successful.

Now it's in the hands of the first person to get it and they aren't placing it in a new cache and not responding to my messages.

So here's the question.... should I send quite a blunt email with my thoughts, or should I just be patient?

Now it's in the hands of the first person to get it and they aren't placing it in a new cache and not responding to my messages.

Worse, the TB Owner hasn't added anything to the TB's page stating that there's a problem. :ph34r:

The person has only had it for a month, which is obnoxious, but typical. It kinda stinks that the first one to take it had no plan to move, drop, and log, promptly. But they're still caching, so maybe it will be placed soon.

When you send a PM to another cacher, they may reply to the email, in which case, it's a reply to a "No-Reply" mailbox -- it gets deleted by the mail server, so the reply doesn't reach you. You may need to specify that they do a PM as a reply, and sending your email address may be good, or simply request an update log. There are tons of reasons to get no reply, but increasingly "blunt" messages evidently aren't working.

Edited by kunarion

So a few years ago I sent out a travel bug... it failed and got taken by a new cacher after 14km.

Then a few months ago I sent out a new travel bug http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=4370960 with hopes that it would be more successful.

So here's the question.... should I send quite a blunt email with my thoughts, or should I just be patient?

I go with a very straight forward process that hopefully covers most of the process. I could list out everything I've done in the past but gc,com does nothing to support the issue.

Worse, the TB Owner hasn't added anything to the TB's page stating that there's a problem. :ph34r:

When you send a PM to another cacher, they may reply to the email, in which case, it's a reply to a "No-Reply" mailbox -- it gets deleted by the mail server, so the reply doesn't reach you. You may need to specify that they do a PM as a reply, and sending your email address may be good, or simply request an update log. There are tons of reasons to get no reply, but increasingly "blunt" messages evidently aren't working.

Not to the purchaser of course.

Unfortunately it's part of the game. I have a few Travel Bugs that met with the same fate. a polite e-mail is your best bet. It could be a simple case of a new cacher not knowing what a travel bug is.

If you go to http://geocacher-u.com and look under "downloads and printables" you can download the travel bug travel guide. It's a customizable zine you can use to use to input your travel bugs personal information (name, goal, owner ect). It also contains good information on what a travel bug is and what to do with it.

Check out this youtube tutorial on how to fold a zine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh1W15BWCUk.

I include one of these in a bag with all of my travel bugs so if it is picked up by a new cacher it will have a better chance of surviving.