Bogus Traveler Logger from Germany

BBWolf+3Pigs

A long missing TB of mine was just logged

"Log Date: 4/10/2013

Discovered. Thanks for sharing this. Greets from Germany. :)"

I was suspicious and decided to look at the logger's profile. He appears to have logged hundreds of TBs/GCs in the last couple of days with the same log. Many of them have been missing for years.

Who do I need to contact to prevent further logging by this indivual?

I was suspicious and decided to look at the logger's profile. He appears to have logged hundreds of TBs/GCs in the last couple of days with the same log. Many of them have been missing for years.

I would guess only Groundspeak could do anything, if they do anything about this sort of shenanigan.

B.

Domo!!!

Same here, sort of.

I long lost TB I still had on my Watchlist, just got logged by the probably the same guys.

http://coord.info/TBD738

Very suspicious...

Maybe just randomly typing in numbers, and bogusly logging whatever hits. Dumb use of the mind...

Domo!!!

Same here, sort of.

I long lost TB I still had on my Watchlist, just got logged by the probably the same guys.

http://coord.info/TBD738

Very suspicious...

Maybe just randomly typing in numbers, and bogusly logging whatever hits. Dumb use of the mind...

Same guy.

Got hit with the same log by the same guy on one of mine.

http://coord.info/TBJ4EN

I am finding these logs on the older travel bugs whose tracking numbers consisted only of the digits 0 - 9

I have "grabbed" the bug so that it now appears in "the hands of the owner".

I also posted the following log when I grabbed it.

This travel bug is not in Germany or any other part of Europe. It is lost. Any further falsified logs from those areas will be deleted.

Diese "travel bug" nicht in Deutschland oder einem anderen Teil von Europa. Es geht verloren. Alle weiteren gefälschten Protokolle aus jenen Bereichen, werden gelöscht.

Perhaps this will slow down bogus logs.

It would be nice to be able to lock and unlock travel bugs when this problem arises

In Dr.Moro's case (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=TBD738) It looks like he's getting the tracking number from the picture on the travel bug page. many people are "discovering" trackables online using pictures that show the tracking number. I think you should physically have the traveler in your hand to log or discover it. The only way to stop this is to educate cachers to make sure they don't show the tracking number in any of the pictures they post. For Travel bugs it's easy enough to turn the travel tag over to the side that doesn't contain the tracking number. Here is what I do for geocoins.

Go to http://www.irfanview.com and download the free image viewer (I'm sure many other free image viewers will have this capability but Irfanview is the one I've always used) Load the picture of the coin. Using your mouse select the area around the tracking code (you can use the magnifying glass on the tool bar to enlarge the image and make it easier to work on) On the toolbar select Image/Effects/Effect browser. Select an effect (I use Explosion, Pixelize or Twirl) and use the slider to distort the selected image. When your done click ok and save the image. Now you can post any picture and have the tracking number obscured.

After looking at the account profile I was able to manipulate many of the pictures of the travel bugs he has found and get the tracking number. There a lot of them I can't figure out. May just be entering codes until he hits one. Sad

Edited by justintim1999

I got hit by the same männlich!

Discovered. Thanks for sharing this. Greets from Germany. "

If he spent that kind of time and effort to get the number from the bug's picture, he must live a very sad and lonely existance.

We were so excited to see the bug back after 10+ years. Now just :(

In Dr.Moro's case (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=TBD738) It looks like he's getting the tracking number from the picture on the travel bug page. many people are "discovering" trackables online using pictures that show the tracking number. I think you should physically have the traveler in your hand to log or discover it. The only way to stop this is to educate cachers to make sure they don't show the tracking number in any of the pictures they post. For Travel bugs it's easy enough to turn the travel tag over to the side that doesn't contain the tracking number. Here is what I do for geocoins.

Go to http://www.irfanview.com and download the free image viewer (I'm sure many other free image viewers will have this capability but Irfanview is the one I've always used) Load the picture of the coin. Using your mouse select the area around the tracking code (you can use the magnifying glass on the tool bar to enlarge the image and make it easier to work on) On the toolbar select Image/Effects/Effect browser. Select an effect (I use Explosion, Pixelize or Twirl) and use the slider to distort the selected image. When your done click ok and save the image. Now you can post any picture and have the tracking number obscured.

After looking at the account profile I was able to manipulate many of the pictures of the travel bugs he has found and get the tracking number. There a lot of them I can't figure out. May just be entering codes until he hits one. Sad

Edited by spiny norman