Garmin 450 and batteries

Hi

I'm finding my 450 is constantly eating batteries. Normal alkaline ones don't seem to last very long, I've never had much joy from rechargeable ones - maybe the ones I have are too old?

What's the best solution? Lithium? Lithium rechargeables?

John

UK

With my Oregon 450, I get as little as 6-8 hrs on Lithium rechargeables IF the backlight is turned up high. However, I can get 12-16 hrs from the same batteries if I turn the backlight down to as low as is comfortable to see. The backlight seems to use a lot of battery power!!

I use the Eneloops, the ones with the black labels and 2500 mAh capacity. I get about 6 or 8 hours out of a set, and I don't turn down the screen brightness. I have a Maha MH-C9000 charger that does a great job of keeping the batteries in good condition. The fast chargers that plug into an outlet destroy rechargeables.

I don't use more than two sets a day, so it's not a problem. I just keep an extra set in my backpack, which I always take with me.

If you don't like rechargeables, use lithium. They last a couple of days in my 450.

Another vote for Eneloops, been able to do a 3-day backpack on a pair. Only on while hiking.

Also, a quality Lacrosse or Maha charger is a must, the little fast chargers will destroy any battery in a few cycles. Basically if it doesn't have an LCD charge indicator for each cell, you've wasted your money. I typically use the default 200 ma charge rate.

I use the Eneloops, the ones with the black labels and 2500 mAh capacity. I get about 6 or 8 hours out of a set, and I don't turn down the screen brightness. I have a Maha MH-C9000 charger that does a great job of keeping the batteries in good condition. The fast chargers that plug into an outlet destroy rechargeables.

I don't use more than two sets a day, so it's not a problem. I just keep an extra set in my backpack, which I always take with me.

If you don't like rechargeables, use lithium. They last a couple of days in my 450.

Agree with all.....its what I use.

I got 24 hr on my 62S the other day.

NiMH cells. Eneloops and Duracells have done very well for me. I get about a day and a half, with a little use of backlight or enable track recording (which seems to consume a little extra power) I carry a few charged sets for the GPSr and anything else which runs on them.

My advice on NiZn cells, stay away from them. They were dead and wouldn't hold a charge within a couple months.

I see you've already got an answer, but I am assuming you meant NiMh rechargeables and not lithium rechargeables.

AA sized lithium rechargeables do exist, but they are 4.2 volts each at full charge. A pair of those (8.4 volts) will toast your GPS.

With my Oregon 450, I get as little as 6-8 hrs on Lithium rechargeables IF the backlight is turned up high. However, I can get 12-16 hrs from the same batteries if I turn the backlight down to as low as is comfortable to see. The backlight seems to use a lot of battery power!!

Out of curiosity, are you leaving the backlight on all the time, or letting it time out? I can get about 12 hours of "on" time with alkaline batteries, or over 16 hours with a pair of Eneloop XXs. That is:

- Power Saver: Turned off

- Display Timeout: 15 seconds

- Track Logging: Auto / Normal

Alkalines: Backlight set to 40-60%

Eneloops: Backlight set to 100%

So I'm able to actually get ~17 hours of runtime with the backlight at 100% assuming I'm letting it time out, and that isn't with the screen turning off entirely. It sounds like a bunch of folks may be leaving the backlight on longer than I do, which is a big drain, as you say.

Hi

I'm finding my 450 is constantly eating batteries. Normal alkaline ones don't seem to last very long, I've never had much joy from rechargeable ones - maybe the ones I have are too old?

John

UK

Try the Lithium, they last longer than alakline, We went through alkaline in less than two days, the Lithium have been at full charge for two weeks. It is worth the extra money.

Hi

John

UK

Try the Lithium, they last longer than alakline, We went through alkaline in less than two days, the Lithium have been at full charge for two weeks. It is worth the extra money.

Howdy......

My Lithium's lasted about two days.

Not very good. I ain't gonna use em no more....

Vern / Foothills Drifter...

Is it actually turning off, or simply claiming the batteries are low?

Since I "upgraded" the firmware on my 550, the battery gauge shoots down, and the "low battery" appeared after 2 hours, but the unit stayed on for a total of 8 1/2 hours, 6 1/2 of them with a single red bar indicated.

I've set the battery type back to alkaline and powered down, then powered up and reset it to NiMH, but I didn't try a drain test since.

I use 2700mAH NiMH cells, and the backlight is permanently on at about 90%.