Extreme Caching

TeamDJ*

We are compiling a list of extreme must do geocaches in SA and plan to do them whenever we get the opportunity. Please share some of your stories and caches that you have found and that you think will fall in this category. Photos would be beneficial and always welcome.

One of the best extreme (I guess) experiences I've had was Reverse Travers - Kloof corner difficult - Frodo's journey (with other caches on both ends & in between but this gives you the backbone of the route up Table Mountain). The Kalbaai caves are also great but they're definitely in second place for an air-loving upper-terranean like myself. The Darkness Beacons outside Robertson is also up there with the best.

Don't have a clue about their D/T ratings but they will encroach on your comfort zone and are extreme fun that's for sure!

In Cape Town I would say there are many "extreme" caches.

some are tough hikes with climbing and exposure.

Some are in caves.

Some are on cliffs.

Some are in trees.

Some are in some kind of tunnel.

Some require scuba.

Some require extreme travel.

It would be a long list!

417215_10150525283751693_115355596692_9104012_1763534159_n.jpg

The "Most" extreme caches I have done (choosing just 6)

"The Darkness Bekons" - mainly because you are waist deep in flowing water in the dark with bats touching your face.

"Ratus Maximus - immerse fully into mud and inch your way 30+m up a spider infested narrow sewer pipe

"Pristine" Cave (continue past the cache).Worm through a cave with ridiculous contortions and holes in the floor of its tunnels

"The Hardest cache on Table Mountain" Abseil over an overhang, dangle about 40m up, Swing into a ledge to sign the log.

"Traverse Reverse" (The traverse). Your heart will stop when you look at where you are about to hike: Climb an exposed cliff round a tree, then walk on a 1m wide ledge with a 100+ cliff next to you.

"XXX Extremly well hung" Just climb a tree ....about 22m up a vertical climb up a rope" See pic below

b315af6a-2508-4a8d-8102-c1c401006bb6.jpg

Edited by CapeDoc

Thanx CapeDoc

These looks like serious challenges.

Will look them up when in the area. Do know yet how I would be able to open the caches, since we do not carry a lot of equipment with us when travelling per airplane. Never the less, thats our problem.

Thanx CapeDoc

These looks like serious challenges.

Will look them up when in the area. Do know yet how I would be able to open the caches, since we do not carry a lot of equipment with us when travelling per airplane. Never the less, thats our problem.

The photos looks great, thank you guys. Please keep emcoming.