Pit Bull "attack"

whooven

I was looking for a cache in Riverside, CA with my family. We found it and sat on a nearby bench to read the log and all. I look up and down the trail is a pit bull headed straight for me full bore. I'm a dog lover but those things look scary and I just about had a heart attack. I grabbed my backpack and put it between me and it but it (she) came around the backpack and proceeded to lick my 6 year old. Whew! Everyone laughs at me about it now but what would YOU think if you saw a pit bull coming right at you. The owner was nearby and I guess this dog was friendly.

-----------

Bill

Jeeps Only!

http://www.jeepsonly.com

------------------------

I was hunting a cache today, fairly deep in some wetlands protected area. There were no other people around. At about 0.12mi from the cache, I heard an extremely strange series of howling sounds. It sounded like a pack of dogs. Lots of dogs. Angry dogs.

There'd be no domestic dogs in the area where I was, unless it was from another cacher. If that was the case, it would have come from either behind me (the only way in) or directly in front of me (the only way out). I did not run into anyone during my search in.

I have no idea if coyotes are in NJ, nor what they would sound like.

I stopped in my tracks, and listened for about five minutes (yes, they howled about that long). Since I was already over a mile in from my car and _so close_ (after a spectacular failure two days prior), I wasn't going to turn around. I just looked to find the most climbable tree, just in case. I also have a fairly stout (and natural) walking stick. I sat down for maybe 10 minutes after the howling stopped, and then finally continued on. I didn't run into anyone on the way out, either.

"Wan't" and "differen't" are not words.

I have had a coyote follow me once, and have heard other people say the same. Probably happens more often than one thinks as usually you would not see them.

This one I caught sight of 3 or 4 times, maybe 150 ft behind me. It was kind of eerie, I imagine it was either just natuaral habit, or curiosity. I was clearing a trail and had an axe in hand that day, so figured I'd be safe against one should it decide to get closer.

I can't imagine one would attack a person anyway, but they are wild animals and there is always the possibility of rabies.

In the case of dogs coming at me full steam, I would definately be on the defensive, especially if I had a kid there.

Warning: Objects in GPS may be closer than they appear!

quote:
I was looking for a cache in Riverside, CA with my family. We found it and sat on a nearby bench to read the log and all. I look up and down the trail is a pit bull headed straight for me full bore. I'm a dog lover but those things look scary and I just about had a heart attack. I grabbed my backpack and put it between me and it but it (she) came around the backpack and proceeded to lick my 6 year old. Whew! Everyone laughs at me about it now but what would YOU think if you saw a pit bull coming right at you. The owner was nearby and I guess this dog was friendly.

Well, let's see, I guess I would be seeing dinner. FOr, if my 6 year old daughter is in the area, I would not even be waighting as long as you did. That would be one dead dog.

Just last week I was backing out of some brush, turned around and there was a pit bull. I'm a dog lover and it didn't un-nerve me too much but it was in a park where it is posted that dogs must be on a leash. I hate when that happens!

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

On one of my early caches I was deep in a forest searching for a cache (this was last fall after the leaves had fallen) when I notice a deer is walking parrallel with me among he trees about forty feet away. He seemed intensely curious about what I was doing.

I took out my digital camera and began taking pictures when suddenly I notice that it is now heading toward me with its head lowered in what I considered a very menancing manner. (It was a young buck).

I'm originally from backwoods Indiana and I'd NEVER seen a deer in the wild behave like this. It really unnerved me. Flashbacks of that famous Video footage from TV where the Deer is attacking the poor guy who doused himself with doe-urine ran through my mind.

I was considering climbing a tree when it stopped, stared at me for a few moments and then moved off slowly as if it didn't have a care in the world.

Later I realized it had probably been handfed (or used to getting handouts) and was simply checking to see if I was packin' snacks.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

quote:
Everyone laughs at me about it now but what would YOU think if you saw a pit bull coming right at you.

I'm a part-time meter reader for the gas company and encounter all kinds of dogs daily. Most dogs won't attack unless they are threatened or you are on their turf. When I'm working, I'm always on their turf, and even the nicest dogs can get pretty mean.

Part of my geocaching equipment is a can of pepper spray... just in case.

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Bukosky:

Just last week I was backing out of some brush, turned around and there was a pit bull. I'm a dog lover and it didn't un-nerve me too much but it was in a park where it is posted that dogs must be on a leash. I hate when that happens!

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

Does N9BGH stand for Big Geocaching Ham?

Warm regards,

Stephen Brown (Firefishe)

N8PZT

196939_600.gif

Non-caching story, but funny nonetheless (at least in retrospect):

In my pre-caching days, I used to ride my bicycle for a few hours every other day. On one of my longer routes out in the boonies, I kept encountering a German Shepherd which lacked a bit of respect for anything going past its house (something missed in its formative years, I guess). It charged me several times and I only managed to escape with a burst of adrenaline and good luck. Determined not to let the beastie scare me away from a good ride, I packed a can of pepper mace one day.

Sure enough, as I rounded the turn, Mr. Dog spotted me and headed in my direction, firing off warning barks as it approached. I reached into my jersey pocket and aimed the pepper spray right at him and once he was in range, I let loose.

At that point, I had what long-time drunkards call a "moment of clarity" when I realized that I'd sprayed the mace directly into the wind. A few minutes later, Mr. Dog and I were both lying on the ground side by side crying, our common plight having extinguished the animosity between us.

Owner comes out, sees two writhing bodies on the ground and calls 911. Rescue squad shows up AND THEY TREATED THE %#&^*#$ DOG FIRST!

I now carry my S&W .380 instead.

Back on topic:

Not a bad idea to arm yourself with some deterrent. I haven't really encountered anything, besides a few poisonous snakes, that really endangered me. However, the old joke about the bear charging the hikers comes to mind. One started to run and the other said, "Don't you know that a bear can outrun a human?" and the other replied, "I don't have to outrun him. I just have to outrun YOU."

quote:
Originally posted by JeepsOnly:

-----------

Bill

Jeeps Only!

------------------------

You were very lucky the dog didn't hammer your child. Next time, pick that young'un up!!!! Most animals that are hungry just naturally attack the smaller and weaker looking prey, this could have been one of those times. I hope I'm never in that situation myself.

I had an unforgetable dangerous animal encounter while caching last month. While in a wildlife mitigation area, my girlfriend, her cousin, and I were looking for a cache that was between a trail and a creek of stagnant water. We began hearing a splashing sound coming up the creek, closer and closer to us. At first we thought it was a deer, but the loud noise didn't fit (the same applied for a hunter.) We all got more and more nervous, and started talking loudly and yelling to scare off the creature when we spotted it - a large black boar, complete with some nasty looking tusks! Things got even more nerve racking when it came up on the creek bank about 10 feet away; it just laid down in the shadow of some trees and left us alone.

I guess that showed our dedication to caching - we found the cache, logged our visit, and traded items, all with a good-sized animal that could kill/severely injure a human just a few feet away...

quote:
Originally posted by GoingBald:

You were very lucky the dog didn't hammer your child. Next time, pick that young'un up!!!! Most animals that are hungry just naturally attack the smaller and weaker looking prey, this could have been one of those times. I hope I'm never in that situation myself.

I probably didn't make it clear but my son was behind me so in the short time I had to respond I decided to put the backpack in between *us* and the dog. The dog came to me first then quickly went around me and started licking everyone. Thinking back I'm not sure what else I could have done that different that would have helped other than bring something that could be used as a weapon. I think picking up my son would have only left me without hands to try and fight the dog with. Luckily it didn't come to that.

-----------

Bill

Jeeps Only!

------------------------

I have a concealed carry permit, and depending on the situation, of where I'm going, I carry a hammerless 44 special revolver. A lot of anti-gun people might, out of ignorance, be offended by this, but two days ago I had a black bear walk within 25 feet of me. Yesturday, I walked into an area where I found fresh piles of bear scat, and tracks. I've also ran into some very unsavory characters out in the woods, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by armed to the teeth:

I have a concealed carry permit, and depending on the situation, of where I'm going, I carry a hammerless 44 special revolver. A lot of anti-gun people might, out of ignorance, be offended by this, but two days ago I had a black bear walk within 25 feet of me. Yesturday, I walked into an area where I found fresh piles of bear scat, and tracks. I've also ran into some very unsavory characters out in the woods, etc.

I hope you don't just make him mad! icon_eek.gif

I think I'd opt for bear spray, myself.

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

quote:

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

quote:
Originally posted by Bluespreacher:

quote:

Bluespreacher

Do you know how large a .44 Smith & Wesson Special (commonly shortened to just ".44 Special") Revolver Cartridge, itself, actually is? It's the same bullet (projectile) as a .44 Magnum, but with a shorter case.

It's velocity is similar to a .45 Long Colt revolver cartridge, but being a caliber below, is going to get out of the barrel just a bit faster, therefore having a bit greater velocity. It is anything but a lightweight, is loud, and would get any bear's or human's attention when fired. Hearing protection is suggested with this load (or *any* load for that matter).

I can tell you one thing. If you were within 25 feet of a dangerous bear with a .44 special load, even at a standard velocity, that bear isn't going to be mad, it's going to be *dead*!

Bear Spray is a poor substitute for real power in your hand. If you're that concerned about bear, carry the revolver *and* the spray. If you're really savvy, you'll carry a rifle! If not, the .44 Special will do just fine!

Just thought I'd make it clear for you icon_wink.gif.

Warm regards,

Firefishe (Stephen Brown)

196939_600.gif

[This message was edited by Firefishe on September 19, 2002 at 11:42 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Bluespreacher:

quote:

Bluespreacher

Do you know how large a .44 Smith & Wesson Special (commonly shortened to just ".44 Special") Revolver Cartridge, itself, actually is? It's the same bullet (projectile) as a .44 Magnum, but with a shorter case.

It's velocity is similar to a .45 Long Colt revolver cartridge, but being a caliber below, is going to get out of the barrel just a bit faster, therefore having a bit greater velocity. It is anything but a lightweight, is loud, and would get any bear's or human's attention when fired. Hearing protection is suggested with this load (or *any* load for that matter).

I can tell you one thing. If you were within 25 feet of a dangerous bear with a .44 special load, even at a standard velocity, that bear isn't going to be mad, it's going to be *dead*!

Bear Spray is a poor substitute for real power in your hand. If you're that concerned about bear, carry the revolver *and* the spray. If you're really savvy, you'll carry a rifle! If not, the .44 Special will do just fine!

Just thought I'd make it clear for you icon_wink.gif.

Warm regards,

196939_600.gif

[This message was edited by Firefishe on September 19, 2002 at 11:42 PM.]

My wife and I had an encounter at a cache, but it was more endearing than frightening.

On top of a local mountain there is an old viewing platform with a cache nearby. As we approached the platform, something ran out from under it. My eye caught a flash of red so I figured we had just surprised a red fox.

My wife noticed it about 25 feet away, just standing there looking at us, as if to ask if we brought any food with us. I reached into our pack and pulled out two apples, split one in half and threw half to the fox. He sniffed it, then ate it. My wife threw the other half, he ate that too.

There we were having lunch with a fox! We laid down on the platform to show him that we were not threatening (or frightened), and having now finished his lunch he curled up into a ball to take a nap.

We enjoyed each other's company for a while. I took some photos. We had to wake the fox up to let him know we were leaving. He looked at us and went right back to sleep.

We never felt threatened. Whenever we discuss geocaching with someone, that story always comes up.

geospotter

Two key words here are "pit bull" and "charging". The first by itself isn't necesarily alarming to me, but the second would be regardless of breed. I used to owna PB Terrier. Went to North Shore out on long island picked this adorable puppy, brought it home, took it tothe vet who said,"So what made you pick a pit bull?" icon_eek.gif

Luckily he was a terrier mix. Did I say luckily? He had the strength of a pit bull with the energy level of a terrier. We lived in apartments (in houses) the entire time we owned him. He was usually docile & friendly and would more likely lick a burglar's face then chew him up, BUT... I know first hand what a PB's jaws can do.

He was somewhat injured and aggrevated his injury and was in pain. Curled up under the table, did NOT want to leave. I made the foolish mistake of going after him to bring him out. Good intentioned as I may hve been he snapped. took a chunk of flesh from my hand to the point where I saw the fatty subcutaneous tissue. Not good.

To get back to your scenario, I know that most pit bulls are good natured. I know that. But a charging pit? No owner in site? All alone in a remote area? Hell yeah I'd be scared. Luckily it had a happy ending.

What I want to know is what idiot owns a pit and let's him off leash? You're asking to get that dog shot just for being a pit without a leash.

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

Two key words here are "pit bull" and "charging". The first by itself isn't necesarily alarming to me, but the second would be regardless of breed. I used to owna PB Terrier. Went to North Shore out on long island picked this adorable puppy, brought it home, took it tothe vet who said,"So what made you pick a pit bull?" icon_eek.gif

Luckily he was a terrier mix. Did I say luckily? He had the strength of a pit bull with the energy level of a terrier. We lived in apartments (in houses) the entire time we owned him. He was usually docile & friendly and would more likely lick a burglar's face then chew him up, BUT... I know first hand what a PB's jaws can do.

He was somewhat injured and aggrevated his injury and was in pain. Curled up under the table, did NOT want to leave. I made the foolish mistake of going after him to bring him out. Good intentioned as I may hve been he snapped. took a chunk of flesh from my hand to the point where I saw the fatty subcutaneous tissue. Not good.

To get back to your scenario, I know that most pit bulls are good natured. I know that. But a charging pit? No owner in site? All alone in a remote area? Hell yeah I'd be scared. Luckily it had a happy ending.

What I want to know is what idiot owns a pit and let's him off leash? You're asking to get that dog shot just for being a pit without a leash.

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

I was at Cape Canaveral some years ago for a shuttle launch. My Girlfriend & I were on my motorcycle stopped by one of the canals near the visitor center when this alligator (crocodile? whichever one Florida has..) sticks his head up out of the water down the ravine and starts toward us. Since he was about 40-50 feet away, down the ravine and moving slow I didn't think much about it but she got nervous so we slowly pulled away & he seemed to be pacing us but in the ravine. When we came out of the visitor center we saw a car stopped in the same general area & a family with a little girl out of the car at the edge of the ravine. You guessed it, they were checking out the alligator, who I assumed was checking out the kid. Just then a security car pulled up & chased the family away. It was only a while later that I read gators can hit something like 30-40 mph for short bursts..... icon_eek.gif

Wherever you go, there you are!

I was at Cape Canaveral some years ago for a shuttle launch. My Girlfriend & I were on my motorcycle stopped by one of the canals near the visitor center when this alligator (crocodile? whichever one Florida has..) sticks his head up out of the water down the ravine and starts toward us. Since he was about 40-50 feet away, down the ravine and moving slow I didn't think much about it but she got nervous so we slowly pulled away & he seemed to be pacing us but in the ravine. When we came out of the visitor center we saw a car stopped in the same general area & a family with a little girl out of the car at the edge of the ravine. You guessed it, they were checking out the alligator, who I assumed was checking out the kid. Just then a security car pulled up & chased the family away. It was only a while later that I read gators can hit something like 30-40 mph for short bursts..... icon_eek.gif

Wherever you go, there you are!

quote:
Originally posted by JeepsOnly:

-----------

Bill

Jeeps Only!

------------------------

I would have thought, poor mutt, he's about to get stabbed...

-Lets play global Thermonuclear war-

Actually, I handle dogs a little differently then that. I would have jumped up and started screaming in my deepest, meanest voice at the dog while running towards it. Haven't had that one fail on me yet... but yeah, my knife would have been drawn and if that didn't stop the dog, I would have had an angry owner to deal with icon_frown.gif

The trick to dogs is intimidation. I've been bit several times... back when I let them bite me. Since I've taught myself not to be scared of them and to face them off, I haven't been bitten again. Now mind you, I don't run around in the offensive towards dog, only in defense.

-Lets play global Thermonuclear war-

I had just finished the fabulous Leonardo Templates series by Moun10Bike when htis happened:

August 9, 2002 by evergreenhiker! (294 found)

User's web page

You can [edit], [delete] or [permanently encrypt] this log entry.

Cool, man!!!! You sure created an awesome cache series! Found the cache without too much trouble..just a bit of hunting around until the gps settled down. Took Where's george dollar and dropped off Big Boy tb.

He and I don't get along. I love the mountains and he'd whine as I scaled Si and Washington (Chainsaw Wall) these past weeks so I dropped him off on some more level ground that should be more suitable for him. icon_smile.gif

The story is just beginning. I'm on my way back, crashing through brush...making a lot of noise, finally reach near the trail. I hear sharp, urgent barking that doesn't sound too friendly.

I look to my side and see this huge dog...german shepard mix or something running at me. Bleep!!!!

It comes to a stop just 20 feet away...it's fangs are bared...his tail is tucked. This isn't good man! I hear the owner off in the distance calling for it but can't see her. Dog ignores owner and false charges me a couple times like a bear will. I stood my ground...staring at it. Talking to it, but it's doing no good at all. I know if I turn around, it attack me for sure.

The owner is now in appearance. This is about 3 minutes later...seems like a million minutes! She calls to it and dog totally ignores her. He's really growling and spitting at me literally.

Finally, she gets close and grabs her dog, but it still almost breaks free to get at me.

Man, this shows you why people to keep their bleeping pets on leash. I love dogs, but they need to be in under constant control!

Hey, thanks for the challenging series!

...very scary...closest I've ever been attacked by a dog.

When I've worked for delivery, I've always walked right past the big dogs. Its those blasted dust moppies ya gotta watch out for ! They all like to try to take out your Achilles tendon with a charge and dart attack. I think if they can bring you down, the rest of the pack charges in, nipping away quarter size chunks, like land loving pirahnas. icon_eek.gif

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

Well, since I'm a geocaching newbie, I've never had a dog encounter while geocaching. But I've had several over the years with large aggressive dogs while out walking, bike riding, or hiking. The first time it ever happened to me, I instinctively turned to face the animal, crouched, put my arms out to the sides, and bellowed out a roar with bared teeth. I didn't even think about it. It just happened. Funny thing is that the dog stopped in its tracks and backed off. Ever since then, that's been my deliberate tactic. It has never failed me. I figure the dog that doesn't stop is the one that was going to get me no matter what I did.

Strictly armchair quarterbacking, I would have advised scooping the child up off the ground. But sometimes when we're in the thick of it, we do the best we can with the cards we think we've been dealt. It's always easy in hindsight to figure out what one could have done better. I think the fact that you had enough presence of mind to do something is better than having been simply rooted to the spot, unable to react at all. Good job.

Also, here in the People's Republic of California, it is very difficult to get a permit to carry - concealed or otherwise. So, while I do own 3 different pistols (.380 ACP, .45 ACP, and .44 Mag.), I don't carry any of them unless I'm heading into deep wilderness where I'm not likely to get rousted by the man - unsavory characters or not. But, I do always carry a long, solid ash walking stick that makes a perfectly nice shillelagh.

I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me. - Noel Coward (...particularly off of a short pier - The Annoyed Man's corollary)

[This message was edited by The Annoyed Man on May 03, 2003 at 12:12 PM.]

Hmmm Bears and pepper spray? It reminds me of some old sage advice I'd heard long ago.

First try to avoid wild animal encounters by making noise as you walk. Pinning little bells to your jacket will do the trick.

Second be prepared! If you have nothing else, always carry a little can of pepper spray.

Next learn to look for signs of wild animals nearby. Look for scat on the trail. A vegitarian animal will leave pellets and is nothing to worry about. Carnivore scat will have hair in it. Grizzy scat contains little bells and smells like pepper!

Marcus

quote:
Originally posted by MarcusArelius:

Hmmm Bears and pepper spray? It reminds me of some old sage advice I'd heard long ago.

First try to avoid wild animal encounters by making noise as you walk. Pinning little bells to your jacket will do the trick.

Second be prepared! If you have nothing else, always carry a little can of pepper spray.

Next learn to look for signs of wild animals nearby. Look for scat on the trail. A vegitarian animal will leave pellets and is nothing to worry about. Carnivore scat will have hair in it. Grizzy scat contains little bells and smells like pepper!

Marcus

Black Bears are Omnivores...they eat meat and vegetables. Scavenging is a big source of meat and they will feed heavily on berries. So their scat is a function of the area they live in, bear scat is usually like round pile of feces. In berry country, they will have a definite signs of berry seed, pellets, and a purpuish to black color. Anyway, the point I'm making is that scat with pellet could be from a bear.

Coyote scat, I find, is usually doglike and has lot of fur in it. They prey heavily on small rodents and other small mammals.

Pepper spray may or may not work...no way to predict though before bear attack. Case by case. Often black bears will false charge you. People have stood their ground and the bear would go away thinking that the intruder is not afraid of it. If you show fear and try to run, forget it! Bears can run 35 mph. Don't play dead with Black bears. This only works with the Grizzly Bear. Black bears will keep chewing at you so it's best to fight back if attack occurs.

I always make a lot of noise in bear country. I even talk to myself...yes, that looks strange, but I'm usually a solo hiker and no one else is around. I've had one encounter up on Bald Mountain. It heard me coming as I came over a knoll. There it was just 75 yards away staring at me. Fortunately it was on it's fours and after a few seconds, it turned away and started head off. I went back the way I went! Huge Black bear...probably an easy 400 pounds.

quote:
Originally posted by Toyguy:

Situations such as these are one reason that I often carry my pistol. Never had to use it, but it's there if I need it.

Might want to consider a small .22 if your state allows it.

TG

Ack, no! icon_frown.gif Please consider getting pepper spray instead. Chances are, if he'd had enough time to react, he would've shot that dog in the face for fear it was going to bite his daughter, when all it wanted to do was kiss her. And if it turned out it did want to attack her, he couldn't very well shoot the dog with it that close to his daughter.

The chances of your turning a good situation into a bad one with a gun are far greater than turning a bad one into a good one.

Note that I own two guns, although I can't think of any situation where I'd ever need to take one with me while geocaching.

quote:

If you're that concerned about it, how about avoiding the areas with bears in them, rather than looking to kill them?

Geez, it's like the Dirty Harry Geocaching Club in here. icon_smile.gif

"I didn't know what might be in the cache, so I plugged a few rounds through it first."

Wow, scary story. Last time I was in California I saw a jogger get eaten by 3 pitbulls. He ended up in critical for months after that. People had boulders at least 14" around beating the dogs on the head with, didn't even slow them down. Ever since then I'm *really* not a big fan of pitbulls. Just too unpredictable.

On another related note, for bears I always carry a short shotgun with alternating slugs/buckshot. I don't trust pepperspray, and if I miss with a slug, buckshot should blind one. My father was deer hunting in Alaska once. He was charged by a bear at about 5'. Luckily he had the rifle ready to fire, shot from the hip and dropped the bear. Even if he had bearspray, he had no time to pull it.

Personally, I'd rather drop something coming at me than take a chance. Maybe I think too much of myself, but I think my life is a little more valuable than a dogs/bears.

quote:

Coming from a family that hunts, I have seen and heard both stories..I have seen people get mauled after shooting a bear, bullets sometimes just p/o bears. "even deer I have seen run for a good 3/4 of a mile to a mile after being shot.

As far as the peper spray it will throw the animal off and make it so he can't see you run away!! plus then you don't have to explain your actions to the game wardens as to why your shooting an animal off season....

Do you get funny looks from co-workers -when you say your going into the woods with a 200$ gadet to find kids toys?

See You In the Woods!!!

Natureboy1376

Only a high powered rifle MIGHT give you a instant one shot kill. Anything other than brain or spine he's NOT going to drop in his tracks. A 44 is .429 inches, a 44mag will not give you one shot stops on a human let alone a bear. There is a chance of a POed bear but I would think it's rare. His first instinct would be to run unless he's a mommy. I would never trust spray. Hawgs are the only critter I watch out for around here...

Rino 110

MeriGreen 128

quote:
Originally posted by DeerChaser & Poni:

Only a high powered rifle MIGHT give you a instant one shot kill. Anything other than brain or spine he's NOT going to drop in his tracks. A 44 is .429 inches, a 44mag will not give you one shot stops on a human let alone a bear. There is a chance of a POed bear but I would think it's rare. His first instinct would be to run unless he's a mommy.

Maybe, I'm misunderstanding you, but even a well placed .22. can stop a person. Then again, there is no guarantee that anything will stop a person.

I was recently reading an article about gunfights. The author had been commissioned to determine how often those in a gunfight see their sights. This was to see if it is best to teach shooting with sights or shooting instinctively. Anyway, he said firepower had very little to do with winning a gunfight, some, but not nearly as much as people think. His sampling ran from a little old lady dropping an attacker with a single .32 shot all the way out to an officer failing to stop an attacher with 5 rounds from a .45. What determined "winning" a gunfight, primarily, it was who got off the first shot and then how many times they hit the other person. There was a lot more to it, but not really within the scope of this post.

Another article I read many years ago dealt with a guy bear hunting. I can't remember the type or gender of the bear, but it had gotten into a cave/den/thicket. The hunter was carrying a TC Contender and a .357 Mag with hollow point ammo. Well, he couldn't get a good shot at the bear and didn't want to use a single shot pistol in case the bear charged. The plan was to flush him out, pull his TCC and finish him off. He holstered the TCC and shot the bear in the muzzle with the .357.

Well, the bear did charge and a lot faster than he had anticipated, and directly at him! He shot the bear three more times directly in the forehead and the bear only shook it off. He stepped behind a tree in an effort to get away and as the bear charged past him, he was able to put his last round in the bear's ear.

Upon analysis, he and his party determined the three rounds at the bear's forehead had merely glanced off the skull because the bullet was too light and deformed too much to penetrate the skull. The forehead of a bear is very thick. He said the next time he goes after bear his backup gun is going to be a .44 mag with flat nose jacketed.

Another another issue, the type of ammo is critical as well. The stories of deer running for miles after being shot with a high powered rifle are true. My father has a .338 Win Mag and made the mistake of using SilverTip bullets. My Dad is an excellent shot (dropped one with a shot right between the eyes out just over 100 yards because the dadgum thing had spotted him, was snorting and wouldn't step out from behind a tree--the only choice was a head shot or loss him) and was extremely disappointed in his new rifle because the deer didn't drop instantly. All the while my uncle used to drop deer in their tracks with a 7mm Mag. The difference is the SilverTip ammo fragments on bone. One deer we dressed, the heart was not touched though all the bones in the shoulder were disintegrated. The bullet had been expending it's energy before reaching the heart. After Dad switched to a "lesser" bullet, the deer never got very far.

So you see, while there is no magic bullet, it sure helps to know what you are doing and have the right equipment.

CR

72057_2000.gif

I 4 one, feel experience is key in this kind of situation. The bullet type is only one factor(as are bullet size,shot placement,etc.)

I've hunted in my home state(Maine),ever since I've been of leagal age to do so.

I too have had run ins with pit bulls,rottys,and bear.So far,I haven't had to shoot one(thank God).

One thing to keep in mind, my local police chief once gave me some advice on rottys.

Simply put,12gauge ooo buck,close range, it's the only way to make sure.

When your life is on the line(or the life of a loved one)it's no time to take chances.

I have many guns(a Smith+Wesson.357mag is my almost constant companion),but when all is said and done,you will allways feel better if you're not forced to use one.

My point is this-It's better to have and not need than to need and not have,but if you're going to carry a gun,you dadgum well better know how to use it.Otherwise,that old saying about the front sight could come true.

A good offence is not allways the best defense.Sometimes, it's STAYING OUT OF THEIR WAY.

Just my .02$.

Maine MountainMan

precisely the reason I cache in the desert armed. Something like a .22 is only going to **** off most carnivorous animals, and a shotgun is just too...bulky for the benefit.

I carry .40-cal CorBon 165gr. JHP, which at 1300fps is going to cause some momentum to be lost by a charging animal, and I've got 10 more rounds sitting in the mag to make sure it doesn't get to me, unless it's sliding in to homeplate. But it still boils down to shot placement.

Brian

Team A.I.