Is this a bug, or have I missed something?

The citizens of the District of Columbia have lesser rights compared to other states. They could not vote for a president until 1964, and did not have a city council or Mayor until after 1973.

As the U.S. capital, the District of Columbia is a special federal district, and therefore does not have voting representation in the Congress. The Constitution grants the Congress exclusive jurisdiction over the District in "all cases whatsoever."

In the United States House of Representatives, the District is represented by a delegate, who is not allowed to vote on the House floor but can vote on procedural matters and in congressional committees. D.C. residents have no representation in the United States Senate. As a result of the Twenty-third Amendment to the United States Constitution, adopted in 1961, the District is entitled to three electoral votes in the election of the President of the United States.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/dc-residents-cast-first-presidential-votes

Yes, it's a bug, but not from the site..

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

The fine folks at Groundspeak are computer geeks, not political scientists, and I think most of us are happy with that state of affairs. They just need a place for DC to fit in, and calling it a state is close enough for caching purposes, right?

The URL for searching the newest caches in my Canadian province is:

http://www.geocachin...spx?state_id=63

note the part at the end. I don't take offense at my province being considered a state - at least inside some software.

But some people out there take things seriously. Quebec thinks Quebec is a country, China thinks Taiwan isn't a country, neighbours disagree about borders and shoot at each other, and so on. Maybe this is part of the reason Groundspeak stopped making country souvenirs...