ANOTHER EXPLOSIVE CACHE

Guest DAM TROLLS

Guest 4wheelin_fool

I guess the best thing is HIDE GEOCACHES ONLY WHEN NO ONE IS WATCHING and HIDE THEM WELL SO THAT A NONGEOCACHER WONT FIND IT. Most people are not familiar with geocaching and if they see something they dont understand, rolleyes.gif they wont easily dismiss it. It will probably bug the hell out of them and/or make them paranoid. eek.gif

Guest VentureForth

Sometimes ya just gotta have something out there to make the bomb squad's job worthwhile.

SIGH.

Of course, if this was in a state park and the park manager knew about it, it shouldn't have been a problem, eh?

------------------

VentureForth out to the wild, wet forest...

I'm astounded at how "stuck in the game" geocachers can be.

Most people don't know the word "geocache." Most people don't know a thing about the sport.

If you place a cache in a densely populated area, you have to expect this sort of thing to happen.

People are alarmed by strange people dropping off strange packages in crowded areas. (I think I'm going to make that sentence my .sig) They're not likely to spend much time investigating something that may or may not be dangerous. We can't expect them to.

Look at it this way - if you have kids attending a school, wouldn't you want the school principal to take reports of someone dropping off a strange package near that school very very seriously? I would. It's standard procedure to call the police in these cases.

Once the police get called, it becomes a black mark for Geocachers and Geocaching. Every time it happens, it'll be one step closer to having our sport banned in urban areas.

For heaven's sake, alert the powers that be when you place a Geocache. If they won't let you, don't place it! I for one would like to practice this sport without being hampered by local ordinances!

-- Kit

(Team KITandSHAE)

"We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane." --Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Hey Gang,

Being a trained Bomb Tech, and having served on a Bomb Squad, I can assure you that it is much safer for us to blow it in place than play with it. Of course, "I" know about GeoCaching, so if one comes up in my area I will know how to check it out a bit more than your average Bomb Tech, but even then, if there is anything that seems suspicious about the cache, I'm going to hit it with the water cannon just like any other suspicious device.

On the "go light with the explosives" comment, trust me, we do. Most of these plastic caches have been popped by what is called a "water cannon" that shoots water at a high enough velocity that it can open up just about any type of container that any of us are likely to use to place a cache. Others would be popped using one or two blasting caps laid in strategic spots. Rarely do we actually use an "explosive" to break these things open. The goal is to not create a bigger problem by making whatever might be inside go "high order."

So, relax, it isn't like we're putting Rolex watches in these things as cache items.... LOL icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

It's always better to be safe than sorry in our business, I have two kids that I want to go home to each and every night, just like anyone else.

I have to say, I love this game, and I really enjoy these forums, and you guys and gals are interesting folks to chat with, you have my thanks for making this an even more interesting activity for me to participate in.

Mac (Breaktrack)

Hey Gang,

Being a trained Bomb Tech, and having served on a Bomb Squad, I can assure you that it is much safer for us to blow it in place than play with it. Of course, "I" know about GeoCaching, so if one comes up in my area I will know how to check it out a bit more than your average Bomb Tech, but even then, if there is anything that seems suspicious about the cache, I'm going to hit it with the water cannon just like any other suspicious device.

On the "go light with the explosives" comment, trust me, we do. Most of these plastic caches have been popped by what is called a "water cannon" that shoots water at a high enough velocity that it can open up just about any type of container that any of us are likely to use to place a cache. Others would be popped using one or two blasting caps laid in strategic spots. Rarely do we actually use an "explosive" to break these things open. The goal is to not create a bigger problem by making whatever might be inside go "high order."

So, relax, it isn't like we're putting Rolex watches in these things as cache items.... LOL icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

It's always better to be safe than sorry in our business, I have two kids that I want to go home to each and every night, just like anyone else.

I have to say, I love this game, and I really enjoy these forums, and you guys and gals are interesting folks to chat with, you have my thanks for making this an even more interesting activity for me to participate in.

Mac (Breaktrack)