[suggestion] Posibility to give a thumbs up to a nice log

MacDD

Sometimes I see funny or very nice logs as a CO. Sometimes I write the logger, most of the times not.

I think it would be nice as a CO to give a Thumbs Up to a nice/funny log.

Not for stats, no counters, only a thumbs up that is shown on the listing-page.

Important, only a thump up to a log on a cache I own, no thumb up counters, so no goal to gain

Edited by MacDD

Sometimes I see funny or very nice logs as a CO. Sometimes I write the logger, most of the times not.

I think it would be nice as a CO to give a Thumbs Up to a nice/funny log.

Not for stats, no counters, only a thumbs up that is shown on the listing-page.

desismileys_4176.gif

It didn't take much effort to scroll down through the threads on the first page of this forum to find a recent thread titled "Like Button":

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=309154

There have been other suggestions that want to turn this into another version of Fazebook.

This isn't Fazebook. Why would we want to turn it into that type of thing?

All the "+1" posts just prove how bad an idea this is. I don't want to see cache pages looking like that. Ugh. Either post some thoughts or don't post at all. This is just as bad as "TFTC" as the only comment in a "found it" log.

B.

Is anything safe from the seemingly endless desire to make everything look like twitface?

If we give a "like" or "thumbs up" or whatever else it gets called it just means the site has to store who has given a log a thumbs up so people can't just spam logs with endless approvals. Then the next development will inevitably be that someone wants to see who else liked the log and before long people will be writing logs hoping to get people to like their log rather than giving future finders some useful information and the cache page will contain logs interspersed with interminable lists of who liked a particular log.

I'd rather see cache logs used to describe the hunt, the location, any problems with the cache etc. Turning everything into a popularity contest will just discourage people from being truthful about a cache that's 100 feet away from the posted coordinates and with a soaked log because the CO chose a poor container and doesn't maintain it well.

Following my previous comment...

If you particularly like a log use the existing feature to drop a note to the person who wrote it. I've had that happen a couple of times and to be honest the implied statement of "I liked your log enough to take the time to write a few words to thank for you it" means so much more than "I liked your log enough to click a button next to it".

Edited by team tisri

I don't know...you see this sort of thing on countless sites where discussion occurs - 'promote' or '+' or 'like' or 'approve', etc. Just because Facebook made this sort of thing prominent doesn't mean they own the concept. Go to the comments sections of most tech blogs and you'll see this sort of feature. I'd rather see a + count next to a post than a bunch of posts saying "+1!!". Not that people do that...much...but it DOES happen occasionally.

I'm not really for or against the feature, personally. I doubt I would use it unless it was a log posted on one of my own caches.

If you really want to thank a cacher for his witty log or kind words, send an email.

Giving him a "thumbs up" is the beginning of turning the cache page into a chat room, something that Groundspeak will archive your hide for.

- And the reason many don't want to see this site end up like another faceplant.

desismileys_4176.gif

^This

The primary reason for a log is to record your experience and pass along useful information to the owner and other cachers, not attempt to receive an electronic pat on the back.

I agree.

- And who's to say the logger will ever return to see that "thumbs up" on his log anyway.

A feature that has no benefit to anyone but the CO himself, really.

Giving him a "thumbs up" is the beginning of turning the cache page into a chat room, something that Groundspeak will archive your hide for.

Explain.

First you give a "thumbs up" for a log that the logger probably won't notice, then every cacher thereafter (even those not attempting the hide) gives a "Yes, we agree!", Or "+1" to, then some leave brief notes, "Awesome post! Wish we could have been there" - and it falls downhill from there.

- Its already happened. Caches archived for discussions on the cache page.

And you started it.

Actually, all the OP was suggesting is that the Cache OWNER be able to give a single 'like' to a log, not other people.

By itself, it's not a bad idea, but it would be a 'gateway' upgrade, sparking a 'creep' toward you-know-what, so I have to disagree with this suggestion.

And, BTW, just this week I took the trouble to send a note to a logger on one of my caches, telling him how much I enjoyed his log. Expendng that effort makes it mean more than '*click*'.

...Bill

Actually, all the OP was suggesting is that the Cache OWNER be able to give a single 'like' to a log, not other people.

By itself, it's not a bad idea, but it would be a 'gateway' upgrade, sparking a 'creep' toward you-know-what, so I have to disagree with this suggestion.

And, BTW, just this week I took the trouble to send a note to a logger on one of my caches, telling him how much I enjoyed his log. Expendng that effort makes it mean more than '*click*'.

...Bill

True.

Unless an email was generated and sent to the logger that 'the cache owner has appreciated your log', how would they know?

If you feel it's worthy of special recognition, speak directly to the person who would most like to know you especially liked the log.

I don't know...you see this sort of thing on countless sites where discussion occurs - 'promote' or '+' or 'like' or 'approve', etc. Just because Facebook made this sort of thing prominent doesn't mean they own the concept. Go to the comments sections of most tech blogs and you'll see this sort of feature. I'd rather see a + count next to a post than a bunch of posts saying "+1!!". Not that people do that...much...but it DOES happen occasionally.

I'm not really for or against the feature, personally. I doubt I would use it unless it was a log posted on one of my own caches.

It makes sense in a setting that's a discussion. In this forum in particular it would be good to be able to register a "+1" or "-1" vote to an idea without having all the "+1" posts. If nothing else it would give an idea at a glance how many liked the idea and how many disliked it.

A cache page isn't a forum for discussion, it's a place to log your experiences finding a cache. If you want an idea of what to expect when you get to GZ you might find it in the previous logs, but it isn't a place to discuss the cache with others. As such it serves no purpose to register agreement/approval/whatever with a log.

Following my previous comment...

If you particularly like a log use the existing feature to drop a note to the person who wrote it. I've had that happen a couple of times and to be honest the implied statement of "I liked your log enough to take the time to write a few words to thank for you it" means so much more than "I liked your log enough to click a button next to it".

I`ve had that happen a few times as well, and I must say I did enjoy getting a response from the COs to my log entries. Much more so than I would a "like" button. If I can, I will try to make my entry more enjoyable to read than just posting "TFTC", and if something funny happened during the search or en route, I will try to give a summary of those events. Animal encounters, beautiful views or something completely different. After all, before going hunting I read logs to check if there is something special about the cache or the journey to it. So I will try to give readers of my log an impression of the overall experience I had. And I know it will generate more visits for the CO if you post a good, humourous log. Being a little creative goes a long way. :)