Are Souvenirs Staying?

South Lyon Trekkers

There was a recent update - one that I can not find anymore - that added a whole bunch of souvenirs and came with a cryptic message that, to me and some others, seemed like GC.com was abandoning souvenirs. Will there be more souvenirs? For EarthCache day, GC.com produced what looked like a souvenir. I and many others thought it was and found a cache on that day thinking we were earning one. Alas, it just looked that way and the post I read never indicated it was. Now the same thing for CITO Day. The Latitude 47 Blog has a nice little picture that looks like a souvenir, but the write-up mentions nothing about it being one, just like what happened on EarthCache day. So, if this is not a souvenir, why not?

There was a recent update - one that I can not find anymore - that added a whole bunch of souvenirs and came with a cryptic message that, to me and some others, seemed like GC.com was abandoning souvenirs. Will there be more souvenirs? For EarthCache day, GC.com produced what looked like a souvenir. I and many others thought it was and found a cache on that day thinking we were earning one. Alas, it just looked that way and the post I read never indicated it was. Now the same thing for CITO Day. The Latitude 47 Blog has a nice little picture that looks like a souvenir, but the write-up mentions nothing about it being one, just like what happened on EarthCache day. So, if this is not a souvenir, why not?

The EarthCache day souvenir was never officially announced as being one, but a lot of people incorrectly assumed it was. I'm sure this year's will get a true souvenir.

Regarding the CITO souvenir, I just looked at the most recent Latitude 47 post, and it doesn't mention anything about a souvenir. However, a previous post a few weeks ago did explicitly state that a souvenir would be awarded:

Those attending CITO Events on April 20, 21 or April 22 (or all three!) will earn a 2013 CITO souvenir for their Geocaching profile.

If you want to take a look at which souvenirs were added recently (to celebrate the 2,000,000th cache), I have a list of all souvenirs here. Note that the recent additions were for the states/regions in Australia and Ireland, as well as souvenirs for a bunch of other countries.

Edit to add: Oh, yeah, what about souvenirs in the future. When those souvenirs were added recently, Groundspeak stated they wouldn't be releasing any more souvenirs for countries. Lots of us have tried to persuade them to continue to release them, but our cries are falling on deaf ears. New souvenirs are still being created for Mega events and the occasional special date, like CITO day.

Edited by The A-Team

Getting a souvi is not going to make my life worth living, or not.

If getting (or not getting) a souvi is going to make or break your caching experience, you are one sick puppy.

On the other hand, Souvenirs as a feature requires very little development and other resource commitments from Groundspeak. They're isolated on a single page that is easy to ignore if you're not interested in them.

We all enjoy different aspects of this game and for some, finding caches in different states or countries, and getting an acknowledge for that achievement is something that takes precedence over the total number of caches founds, getting as many FTFs as possible, or completing challenges.

For those that might want to voice their opinion on the continuation of country based souvenirs I encourage you to add a response the Continue Releasing country based souvenirs thread here.