Reading, PA - "HISTORIC WALKING TOUR"

seanhmoretti

hello! So, I am a volunteer with the City of Reading PA "Downtown Improvement District" and this Friday (April 12th 11:00 - 2:00) and Saturday (April 13th 11:00 - 3:00) we have a 14 location "HISTORIC WALKING TOUR".

I thought how cool would it be to include the sites as part of a geo tour as well.

What hope for is if someone from this group would create and publish the tour sites for anyone to see. It's self guided and the building is the "find" but on those two days, people will be able to go inside some of the properties.

The first site is underground holding cells for prisoners on the way to the hangmans noose!

If there is not a volunteer to do that, tell me how to do it myself and I'll get it done!

My contact information is:

Sean H. Moretti, Realtor, Broker Owner

Destination Realty, llc

Commercial Real Estate

C # 484-769-3209

O # 610-743-3310

F # 610-743-3312

www.destinationrealtypa.com

To find locations allowed that will remain (a minimum of 3 Months), log it all in, send to reviewer and have the reviewer publish them by Friday would be some doing.

Sure there aren't caches already at any of those locations now?

- Any historic sites sometimes have something nearby.

This isn't a Feature D&S topic.

Hi Sean

I know where Reading PA is. Mt Penn is the view out my front door. It's possible something could have been worked out this year if you had asked for help and started planning for this last year. What you propose is possible. Probably not the way you envision it, but if you understand the guidelines there are ways to lead Geocachers on a self guided tour with a semi permanent (nothing lasts forever) final location where they can log their find. To set that up, write the cache page, and have it reviewed in such a short period of time, short of life or death, is impossible.

Is this an annual event? I was unaware of it. My GPS and I are now very interested in taking the tour this weekend. If this is going to take place again next year, the time to start planning a geo-tour is now. Know that this can not be a one weekend a year cache idea to be listed here (without an exception, and don't count on one). It would have to be able to be done even when the you can't enter any of the properties. Doing it when some of them can be entered would be a bonus. I'm sure there are several locals who would be interested in helping you plan such a project for next year. One of the first things we would do is run the plan past the local Reviewer. There would be waypoint coordinates and information to collect, and quite possibly photo's. There are many possibilities.

And take a look at these two cache pages listings nearby. Not exactly the same thing, but you get an idea of what is possible just using currently available information. Hiding small containers is also a possibility. Not by me, but I have friends who would not hesitate.

The Village Idiot #01 - Skippack

The Village Idiot #02 - Skippack

This was in the wrong forum, thought I would kick it over to the regional forums for people that can/want to help.

I met Sean on Saturday, and we have already engaged in the conversation for next year. If anyone else nearby is interested to get involved, we would be glad to hear from you. I visited a few interesting places that I was not aware of, and met a few persons inside that were proud to show off their historic site, that is still serving it's purpose. A late week newspaper notice drew a number of non cachers to take the tour. I think this will be well received by the geocaching community as a do it yourself self guided tour, with access to some of the interiors one weekend a year, and just some local history from the outside most of the time. I hope to meet some of you there next year.