Wherigo and Android

djbach

I have an Android 4 and would like to be able to do Wherigo caches. I've done one a year or so ago when I had a different phone but am not sure if the phone I have will work for this. I don't have a Garmin so the phone appears to be my only option. Can I use my current phone and what's the process for downloading the software from the Wherigo website?

I have an Android 4 and would like to be able to do Wherigo caches. I've done one a year or so ago when I had a different phone but am not sure if the phone I have will work for this. I don't have a Garmin so the phone appears to be my only option. Can I use my current phone and what's the process for downloading the software from the Wherigo website?

Download the whereyougo app, i have downloaded it but not used it yet but should meet your needs.

is that the nexus 4? if so that is what I have...

here's what I had to do - download whereyougo and astro file manager from play store

go to http://www.Wherigo.com on chrome and pick whatever cartridge you want to download (you'll need to log in with your geocaching trail name & password)- click download and choose pocket pc device and click download now

now exit chrome and open astro file manager - click my files and then click download - find the file but don't click on it yet - first click on the little thing that looks like a notebook page at the top. then click on the file and then click on move - click on sdcard along the top row (at least that's where my whereyougo app is) and click on the whereyougo folder and then click paste

exit and open the whereyougo app - click start and the cartridge should be there

Edited by TheMasses

Here's the note I have on my Wherigo pages:

---

Install the free WhereYouGo app. Install the Firefox browser and another free app called "Download All Files" (DAF). Visit this Wherigo page in Firefox, and download the cartridge, using DAF, to the /external_sd/WhereYouGo/ folder. You can then open it in WhereYouGo. You should also install the "GPS Status" app. Run it to get a GPS lock before you start. Leave it running in the background to keep your GPS from switching off by itself. Make sure "GPS" and "Compass" are set to "ON" within WhereYouGo.

---

A couple of other things. I've found it useful to set up GPS Status to keep the GPS fix while the screen is off. That way, you can turn off the screen while walking to save battery, and not have to wait for a fix when you turn the screen back on. There's also a setting in WhereYouGo called "Disable when Hidden" which you should also turn off.

WhereYouGo has a flaky compass in it. It's a good idea to move the phone in a figure 8 pattern for 30 seconds, parallel to the ground. This helps calibrate the compass, but it doesn't always help. Using the map to navigate is easier.

Also, turn the phone off and on again before you start your journey. It made all the difference in the world last time I tested a cartridge. Before I did that, it was lagging badly and would never trigger a zone.

Thank you to all that have responded to my query. I actually discovered that I have the WhereYouGo Ap on my telephone with the cartridge that I was hoping to use. I really appreciate all the responses and help I've received so far. Glad to know that people actually read and answer ones questions. Geocachers are GREAT folks!