Amusing Caching Stories

ErSamin

Do you have an amusing story/caching experience that you would like to share?

Today, I was apporaching a cache and came across this cool looking little bright green ball. I picked it up and it was kind of squishy. I thought "Neat, I'd like to take this home" So I stuffed it into my pocket, completer my cache find. While I was doing this, I was crouching, crawling, etc. As I was walking back, I remembered the green ball I had put it my pocket. I pulled it out, started to inspect it again.....and got introduced to the sport of paintball. (Thank goodness I was wearing a green shirt. How it didn't splat in my pocket, I'll never know!)

"Could be worse...could be raining"

I was approaching the last stage of a multi today and heard a voice from above. 'Hey, I'm up here.' Seems that a hunter was in his tree stand which was about where I was headed. I only had a walking stick and a GPSr. He had a bow and sharp arrows. I left.

I can just imagine his adrenaline getting him pumped up as he heard this animal come thrashing through the woods.

No regrets. I will just have to go back.

Well I think this ranks as my funniest attempt at finding a cache. Anyone who has ever tried to fit just one more cache in has probably had a experience where you are fumbling around in the dark. Well of course I have no flashlight and am REALLY determined to find this cache so feeling like McGyver I pull out my trusty Sony S75 digital camera with long life battery and proceed to use the infrared focusing mechinism to light the areas I intend to find the cache. This works well if you fake out the camera into thinking your not really going to take a picture but if you hold it a hair too long BOOM flash (night vision is now gone) but hey! I now have a picture of the lit area... hmm this may work.... after about 45 minutes of flashing... (probably will be reports of aliens in the march in New Smyrna) I have to admit defeat... I will be back ... with a bigger flash.... or maybe even daylight.

icon_razz.gif I went to hide a cache on a very skinny road between a canal and a river. It snowed and melted causing nice slippery mud. icon_frown.gif I was driving my Hyundai Accent and I went to turn with the road and my car continued to go straight. I ended up in the canal. icon_eek.gif This really sucked. I walked to the nearest farm and the farmer drove me to the site with his tractor and a chain. We hooked the two together, but the bank of the canal was too steep so he pulled my car down the canal for 4.25 miles 'til we found a good spot. I drove the car home, changed all the vital fluids and it still runs like a champ. icon_cool.gif You can knock Hyundai but they make a great sub!

Happy. Hunting.

Originally posted by ErSamin:

Do you have an amusing story/caching experience that you would like to share?

Today, I was apporaching a cache and came across this cool looking little bright green ball. ...and got introduced to the sport of paintball." [END QUOTE]

Just a couple of days ago at a cache in AZ, my 17 year old teenage daughter did the same thing-only hers was orange. She didn't know what it was and was looking at it when a five year old (who we had brought with us) wanted to see it. She then pulled back to keep it from the child (because she doesn't really share well) and squeezed it all over her own face. Of course, she tried to blame the 5 year old as she began wiping her face and trying to spit out the nasty goo. The rest of us (including her three teenage brothers and the small innocent child) were rolling with laughter. Between giggles, I tried to asure her it was non-toxic, but it was just too funny. Oh well, live and learn. I'm still gigglin over it Ü !