GSAK Query: my caches

Munroist3935

I have just subscribed to GSAK, primarily for the statistics it enables you to generate. It all looks good, but the data on my owned caches only shows a fraction of the true number. I've googled this issue, and older posts seem to say I need an Addlogs macro, but this seems to be unavailable. There must be a way of geeting this history onto GSAK and generating accurate stats...anyone got any thoughts or suggestions?

Is this other people's logs on your caches?

GSAK overhauled itself in version 8, and the Addlogs macro you're referring to is from versions up to 7.

With GSAK 8, you can use it to talk to the API and fill in the missing logs that way. I can't remember off hand as I'm on the ipad and haven't got GSAK open, but if memory serves you're looking for a menu called Geocaching.com access. Will confirm later.

I've googled this issue, and older posts seem to say I need an Addlogs macro, but this seems to be unavailable.

The AddLogs macro was the old way to do it, and I don't think it even works anymore. Assuming you're using GSAK version 8.x, you'll need to do the following:

-Switch to the database containing your hides (it's simplest if that database contains only your hides, and not any of your finds or unfound caches)

-Go to the "Geocaching.com access" menu, then "Get recent logs..."

-Set it to "All in current filter" to get the logs for all of your hides

-Set the "Max logs" field to a number large enough to cover all of the logs in your hide with the most logs

-Click OK

It will take a bit to run through them all, because there are restrictions on how quickly this function can retrieve data so the server doesn't get overwhelmed. Once you've done this once, you can update your database periodically by doing the same, but limiting it to 30 or less (which will be the fastest) or whichever number will cover all new logs since you last updated. Another option to update would be the "Refresh cache data..." function, and to set that to return 30 logs (the max possible with this function).

I assume you have GSAK v8.xx, eh?

It's built in using the Groundspeak API.

Sort out your owned caches in GSAK.

Click on Geocaching.com access, in the menu at the top.

Select 'Get recent logs'.

Select a number that exceeds the maximum number of logs on your most popular cache.

Select 'All in current filter'.

I wouldn't bother seeing the summary in this case.

Click OK, and wait.

You can only get so many 'calls' per day/time period.

If I recall correctly, this one will 'get so many', and then set a timeout of one hour before proceeding to get more.

You may need to leave it running while you go out and find some caches. ;)

A BIG thank you guys! I did not realise you could request more than 30 (else why state there is a limit?). Anyhows, all looks good now, just a couple of minor tweeks to make, and I have a shiny new profile!!!

Do the 'minor tweeks' include the double logged cache? :)

munroist3935 has 1204 Finds on 1203 unique Geocaches

Remember to do the occasional PQ to add your newer hides to the database.

Also, running the "refresh cache information" will add the 30 most recent logs, plus any favorite points your caches have accumulated -- I do not believe the "get recent logs" function captures favorite points.

I assume you have GSAK v8.xx, eh?

It's built in using the Groundspeak API.

Sort out your owned caches in GSAK.

Click on Geocaching.com access, in the menu at the top.

Select 'Get recent logs'.

Select a number that exceeds the maximum number of logs on your most popular cache.

Select 'All in current filter'.

I wouldn't bother seeing the summary in this case.

Click OK, and wait.

You can only get so many 'calls' per day/time period.

If I recall correctly, this one will 'get so many', and then set a timeout of one hour before proceeding to get more.

You may need to leave it running while you go out and find some caches. ;)

Groundspeak changed it back to a per minute limit a few months ago.

It is important that you have the latest patch for GSAK or it may not work properly with the current limits. On Tools/Options, Advanced tab, top right, make sure "Also check for patches" is checked.

Also, running the "refresh cache information" will add the 30 most recent logs, plus any favorite points your caches have accumulated -- I do not believe the "get recent logs" function captures favorite points.

I ran this on Sunday, and it updated the stats nicely on my finds. I am keen to confirm that I have this sussed, so am doing it again tonight (Wednesday) to see if I can add the finds since I last did it. But, it won't let me do it, and comes up with error messages. Is there some kind of time restriction on how often I can do this?

I ran this on Sunday, and it updated the stats nicely on my finds. I am keen to confirm that I have this sussed, so am doing it again tonight (Wednesday) to see if I can add the finds since I last did it. But, it won't let me do it, and comes up with error messages. Is there some kind of time restriction on how often I can do this?

See my post directly above yours. You may need to update GSAK to the latest patch. The older versions will not work properly with the current limits.

For logs, you are limited to so many "calls" a minute, a "call" consisting of a block of 30 logs. I forget what the exact amount is, but GSAK will suspend itself and allow the current minute to expire and then resume if that limit gets reached.

For "get caches", you are limited to 6000 with full data, 10,000 lite data, in a 24 hr period. With 1200+ finds, you should be able to run this more than once a day. If not, update to the latest patch.

Thanks for your patience. I have tried as you suggest, but keep getting error messages. Darn this is hard work!!!

What are the error messages? Additionally, you can open the Help menu and choose "GSAK Support Forum". That is where the experts are and they are very responsive and helpful.

Also, I guess I didn't mention it, but after you set GSAK to accept patches, you need to go to Tools/Check for newer version to actually get those patches.