insane

Off Grid

I have been looking at you tube at extreme geocaches in Sweden and Germany and wondering why don't we have sweet stuff like that here and do we have any extreme other than union bay mine on Vancouver island. I'm hoping to put out a few caches you have to think to do they have given me a lot to think about those swedens!!

I have been looking at you tube at extreme geocaches in Sweden and Germany and wondering why don't we have sweet stuff like that here and do we have any extreme other than union bay mine on Vancouver island. I'm hoping to put out a few caches you have to think to do they have given me a lot to think about those swedens!!

If you place it, they will come.

And perhaps wait for Search and Rescue to save their butts.

Extreme caches are one thing, but they have to be thought out well and executed properly by hider and seeker.

That said, I was intrigued by one video that was a 5/5, in a small city and almost a drive up (under a bridge).

Of course that was all in the way it was done.

Doug 7rxc

And perhaps wait for Search and Rescue to save their butts.

Extreme caches are one thing, but they have to be thought out well and executed properly by hider and seeker.

That said, I was intrigued by one video that was a 5/5, in a small city and almost a drive up (under a bridge).

Of course that was all in the way it was done.

Doug 7rxc

Well, yeah. That's why I don't place "extreme" caches. I'd rather not be the one featured on the evening news when someone is talking about ".... hid in 2013 by a local geocacher cacher_name_here . Authorities are looking to speak to them now ..." Followed by that *knock* *knock* at the front door.

In all honesty I'd bet it's the fear of lawyers that keeps the extreme stuff down in USA/Canada.

Well, yeah. That's why I don't place "extreme" caches. I'd rather not be the one featured on the evening news when someone is talking about ".... hid in 2013 by a local geocacher cacher_name_here . Authorities are looking to speak to them now ..." Followed by that *knock* *knock* at the front door.

In all honesty I'd bet it's the fear of lawyers that keeps the extreme stuff down in USA/Canada.

I don't sweat the lawyers that much, however I always shudder a bit when I see (via GE) a low D/T cache placed in a nice scenic locale, with a nice view and an easy trail... At the bottom of an obvious avalanche chute and marked available in winter... Not a real problem IF you understand the facts, and have the appropriate gear, some well trained friends with their gear and an interest in at least watching you get wiped out, then recovering you and claiming FTF :rolleyes: On the other hand, you can always wait for Spring, or better yet mid to late Summer or early Fall if you don't have the above gear, training etc... I lost my chance on one locally that went unclaimed for a few years because I could not bring myself to solo that one... same for another a lot closer to home... but the FTF on the other one says she will either join me for a share on this one or wait til I at least try it... but it is hard to find people dumb enough er interested in mountain walks/ hikes let alone Geocaching... maybe I scare them a bit with the description, or maybe it's just that there is only the view to look at. I could do it solo, but I like the company now I'm gettng older. Besides I would like to avoid my SAR group buddies having to come look for / rescue me... No one likes their own team to get carried away with your treatment, I'm not a masochist, but I'm pretty sure a few of them are sadists.

This area isn't like Halton, although I did a lot of hiking there, growing up in North York (TO).

Doug 7rxc

This area isn't like Halton, although I did a lot of hiking there, growing up in North York (TO).

Doug 7rxc

Totally understood. Having said that I have done backcountry hikes in Jasper (Skyline trail), and I'm planning a trip to hike the West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island in a few years. There are many ways to make a cache "extreme" (the multi-kilometer storm sewer one in Buffalo comes to mind, or that one that got archived when cachers got flushed out by storm waters in Erie, PA).

My base point had more to do with the growing trend to point liability toward the CO for things like bomb scare caches and/or cachers walking off cliffs. Frankly there's more danger in driving to work in Toronto than there is on the typical geocache hunt around here ph34r.gif