Adopt caches not being maintained

Harvey1310

I see and hunt for Geocaches in my area and have noticed have not been found or noticed for long time, several years for some, would like to find a way to adopt or delete cache cause have another hide spot for new and to follow rules must be over .1 mile from other close....any suggestions?

I see and hunt for Geocaches in my area and have noticed have not been found or noticed for long time, several years for some, would like to find a way to adopt or delete cache cause have another hide spot for new and to follow rules must be over .1 mile from other close....any suggestions?

You cannot adopt a cache without the owner's consent and positive action to do so. You also cannot forcibly archive a cache. No caches are "deleted". If you come across a cache that is not properly maintained and has become no more than litter or is hidden in violation of the guidelines, you can post a "needs archived" log. If you want to put a cache out that is too close to another cache, you just have to wait until a spot opens up or find another spot.

The cache owner must initiate the adoption procedure:

Help Center → Geocaching → Caches in General

3.3. Adopting or Transferring a Cache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=54

Just because a "found it" log hasn't been posted for a cache for a "long time" doesn't necessarily mean that the cache is in trouble in any way.

What you can do is the normal procedure: look for the cache, post a DNF if you can't find it or post a "needs maintenance" if you have found the cache in a state of disrepair.

There is a "Needs Archived" log that you can post, if you feel it's necessary.

Help Center → Geocaching → Cache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

6.13. Permanent Removal: Archiving a Cache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=56

If the cache gets archived, that opens the area up to a new cache being placed, which must follow the regular Review process.

B.