Jasmer Challenge search

RoyCarole

If you think of Pocket Queries as advanced search, does that help? Why "short of pocket queries"? Go to your PQ page, set what center and radius "nearby" equals, and then ask for the dates that you want.

You don't have run this, just preview it.

If it's multiple dates, you'll have to ask for them, this isn't terribly difficult. Likely you're going to be traveling some distance for the early months.

You could simply set up a query for Oregon caches placed from May - December 2000. There are 5 of them, and you've found one. If you're close to some other state border, add it to your query.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

You can do this easily without running/using up any PQs.

Create your new PQ and name it 'Jasmer search' or something.

Select the type of cache (probably everything/anything is best here).

Any container.

That:

I haven't found.

Don't own.

Are not on my ignore list. ;)

Difficulty/terrain as default (any/everything.

Within (this is where it gets a bit tricky)

Select the state(s) you are interested in. With some of the older caches in 2000/2001/2002, there may only be a few in the whole USA. I selected every state by holding down the CTRL key as I add them.

From origin: NONE

Placed during:

This is where you select the inclusive dates you want to check for. May 1, 2001-May 31, 2001 would return all the caches place in the USA (or your selected states) during May of 2001.

Hit the 'SUBMIT' button, and you immediately find out how many caches were submitted during May. B)

Then preview the results, open each listing in a new tab and add them to your 'Jasmer Cache' bookmark list.

Once you are done with May, change the dates to whatever else you need/want and repeat.

You can do this easily without running/using up any PQs.

Create your new PQ and name it 'Jasmer search' or something.

Select the type of cache (probably everything/anything is best here).

Any container.

That:

I haven't found.

Don't own.

Are not on my ignore list. ;)

Difficulty/terrain as default (any/everything.

Within (this is where it gets a bit tricky)

Select the state(s) you are interested in. With some of the older caches in 2000/2001/2002, there may only be a few in the whole USA. I selected every state by holding down the CTRL key as I add them.

From origin: NONE

Placed during:

This is where you select the inclusive dates you want to check for. May 1, 2001-May 31, 2001 would return all the caches place in the USA (or your selected states) during May of 2001.

Hit the 'SUBMIT' button, and you immediately find out how many caches were submitted during May. B)

Then preview the results, open each listing in a new tab and add them to your 'Jasmer Cache' bookmark list.

Once you are done with May, change the dates to whatever else you need/want and repeat.

I just did a search by name query in the basic hide and seek a cache page and entered Jasmer. That gave me 108 results, which included full jasmer challenges as well as a lot of "mini" jasmer variations.

When I did searches by date range I ran into the 500 miles proximity limit so I didn't see any caches for June 2000. I wrote in a thread in the general topics forum that I was thinking about developing an "Challenge Helper" application where which could look at ones list of finds then produce a list of candidate caches which satisfy criteria for a Jasmer challenge, sorted by proximity to ones home coordinates. It would be fairly easy to adapt that to a challenge helper for a fizzy challenge, a-z challenge, etc. However, I have looked at the list of service methods for the API and don't know if I could accomplish that using the API.

I've often wished the GS would make their API available for experimental purposes so that a programmer could determine whether or not it could do what they want *before* registering as development partner and specifying an application to be developed.

When I did searches by date range I ran into the 500 miles proximity limit so I didn't see any caches for June 2000.

For that kind of search, you don't want to use a radius from a point. If you use the "Within" -> "States/Provinces" and select every item in that list (the only way to get caches in the US, the country list won't cut it), and leave "From Origin" set to "None Selected", you'll get results from the entire world. I just did such a search and set the date range between May 1, 2000 and Dec 31, 2000, and it says there are 115 such caches still active around the world. You'll still need to look at the results carefully, though, because there are some caches with clearly bogus hide dates like GC1HTTN.

When I did searches by date range I ran into the 500 miles proximity limit so I didn't see any caches for June 2000.

For that kind of search, you don't want to use a radius from a point. If you use the "Within" -> "States/Provinces" and select every item in that list (the only way to get caches in the US, the country list won't cut it), and leave "From Origin" set to "None Selected", you'll get results from the entire world. I just did such a search and set the date range between May 1, 2000 and Dec 31, 2000, and it says there are 115 such caches still active around the world. You'll still need to look at the results carefully, though, because there are some caches with clearly bogus hide dates like GC1HTTN.

Thanks for that.

I gave it a try to get a sense for how far I'd have to travel to complete the Jasmer challenge. I already have finds for May and December of 2000 but it looks if I just want to complete 2000, and went for the closest caches, I'd have to travel from NY to Michigan, Colorado, and Georgia.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher