Photo Competition - April 2013

I've had a think, and this month: your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to come up with an interesting photo on the theme "Close up".

This is open to a liberal interpretation, except that it must have a connection with a particular cache that you've visited. So it might be a closeup of an unusual container. Or, it might be with a seasonal flavour and be a closeup of some spring plants or creatures you encounter on the way to a cache. Or it could be some other unusual item. Or something not so unusual but that makes a good photo. Ot it could be that something is close up to your team (just about to be run over by a tractor, for instance).

Good bokeh is desirable but not essential! :laughing: A traditional closeup tends to have a deliberately blurred backgound so that the item is shown in relief: if you don't know how to do this, a tip is to use a wide aperture (F2.8, for instance). But you won't get marked down for lack of technical skill if it's a good photo anyway. And if you think your best shot doesn't stand a chance, still submit it. You can never tell what's going to win, when it comes down to personal opinion.

The rules are:

1) The photo must be cache related and to do with a specific UK cache (any type including events), caching series or caching trip - please include a link to the cache or the GC.... code so we can see where the picture relates to.

2) Maximum of two photos per caching team or cacher.

3) A new thread is started each month, with the OP stating these rules.

4) The winner each month is decided by the winner from the previous month - the new winner starting the thread for the subsequent month. They may set a theme if they wish.

5) Follow the theme

Edited by Happy Humphrey

Not that recent, from December last year. Not from a cache finding trip, though I was checking out possible places for a hide. I don't have any decent photography equipment of my own, just my phone cam. So include or not this photo as you please :P But it is one to start the thread off.

I'll admit that bokeh was a new word to me, so I had to look it up. But this quick snap of these little fun guys :laughing: seemed to fit the description. Taken along a disused railway route between Thames Path - The Three Rs, Kemble and Sidetracked - Kemble 2.

DSC02569_zps962c176e.jpg

... given it a Kodachrome 25 slide treatment;

What's that?

In the olden days, we used films and you had to select a particular brand and type of film, depending on what type of photo you were taking.

Kodachrome 25 was a type of slide film with a high level of sharpness, low grain, and fairly neutral colour. Nowadays you take a standard digital photo, and you might add in a filter to simulate the effect of the film, so I reprocessed this digital image to simulate K25.

I must say that it's been difficult, and on another day I might have selected a different one as there were several excellent entries.

However, I've gone for the spectacular fuzzybears image:

8ec70bc6-967a-40ca-b403-2e93e258502a.jpg?rnd=0.9802624

Certainly this is a great closeup shot and shows how good something can look if you take your time and observe closely, even when it's as common as a cobweb! It looks like expensive jewellery. Well done!

I keep on trying to see what the repeated pattern is in the droplets, but can't quite work it out. But it does add interest, the way it gets duplicated in all the droplets.

Edited by Happy Humphrey