World wide ranking

Roman!

Maybe not, since its not ok to find your own cache why would anyone put out a power trail so others could rack up numbers?

I think people would put out less and harder caches which should actually make the old timers happy.

There will come a time when most will be thanking me.

WOW..are you really that naive ?

My wife creates an account, places 20 caches a day around our area. I find them. She archives them.

Going even further, I had FTF on the 2 000 000 cache, do I get to claim the other 1 999 800 as well, therefore getting 2 000 000 finds and winning the competition ?

Roman, I suspect anyone with half a brain realizes these threads you make are for your own personal amusement to watch the verbal fireworks. Worldwide ranking, being forced to list finals of multis and puzzles. No true human could possibly believe these things, but you will never admit that it is your own personal joke.

Troll (pron.: /ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) - someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Hey, I resent that, I have 1/4 of a brain and I got it. Can I claim some extra finds for that ?

Maybe not, since its not ok to find your own cache why would anyone put out a power trail so others could rack up numbers?

I think people would put out less and harder caches which should actually make the old timers happy.

WOW..are you really that naive ?

My wife creates an account, places 20 caches a day around our area. I find them. She archives them.

Going even further, I had FTF on the 2 000 000 cache, do I get to claim the other 1 999 800 as well, therefore getting 2 000 000 finds and winning the competition ?

Firstly, thanks for backing up my point as she'd be archiving as we'll as placing they'd balance out and saturation would not be an issue.

Secondly when did I ever say its ok to log any caches you have never found?

Edited by Roman!

Firstly, you want to make Geocaching an official sport.........recognised by whom ? The official sporting association.

Secondly, tallying scores is a dumb idea......When I arrived where I currently live there were precisely 2 geocaches, I placed the third one and the fourth one, could I count those as finds as well. The next nearest cache was 1000 miles away, I would have to have a handicap of around 1000 to be competitive, which doesn't really make it fair on all the people who actually find caches.

Obviously this would have to be well thought out and planned, official rules made and how they'd be enforced. I'm just planting seeds, if GC decides to go ahead with the idea that will be their burden.

So basically you come up with an idea and it is somebody elses responsibility to implement it. And you expect people to take you seriously.

If it wasn't for most of the "old timers" you wouldn't be playing this game.

Firstly life's not fair, taller people have an advantage in basketball.

Secondly there are 100s of ideas posted on this forum how to improve Geocaching that do not cover how to implement them.

Thirdly, yes I am thankful for the oldtimers, but times change.

I think it's about time GS implimented a world wide ranking system on their site much like cacherstats.

Furthermore everyones ranking should appear below their find count as well as below their name on the forums.

They should also remove any duplicate finds from everyones total so their actual find count matches their unique find count.

Anyone caught claiming a find on a cache they did not find will be banned and have their stats removed.

For those that don't like it, and there may be a few, they can have to option to turn off this stat so they will not see it.

It's funny. In a thread about puzzle caches, you state you don't like them, because you question (and I paraphrase) "what does sitting in front of your computer solving a puzzle to do with getting outside and finding a cache?"

In recent threads you discuss D/T grids, making FTF official, and now wanting to see peoples' "rankings".

What does all of this have to do with getting outside and finding a cache?

It turns the game into a competitive sport and those competing will want to get out even more.

that's not true Steve Nash and I know tons of players that are 5 foot nothing and can play better:p

I'm not treating this thread at all seriously, as I'm fairly sure you're not. But even so, take me through the logic of how, in the environment we are in where we hide and seek caches by/for our peers, a competitive environment where everybody needs to find as many caches as possible would lead to fewer caches being hidden overall?

As I can point you to places on the map where already we have people hiding lots of caches so their friends have lots to find and said friends returning the favour by hiding caches of their own. Under your scheme, this will continue to happen, in fact it'll happen more and more, as under this arrangement everybody wins.

What about the people that *don't* want to compete. If you're proposal were implemented it's likely that we'd see even more hides which exist for no other purpose than to increase the find count for those that think that "he who has the most finds wins". All those hides would take up even more real estate than they do now, effectively blocking the type of caches that those that want quality over quantity. Those that don't want to compete will get out less because there will be few caches of the type they want to find.

Caches which exist solely for the "numbers crowd" are already quite prolific. In many areas, micro spew has become epidemic and power trails exists for those that want to rack up thousands of finds. Encouraging more competition for higher find counts will only make it worse, eventually turning the game into millions of hides which have no creativity or provide any kind of challenge for those that enjoy the challenging aspect.

Exactly

are ya sure about the thanking part

Competitive caching usually leads to the containers being closed hastily, with the bags containing the logsheet hanging out, bringing in water, and are often rehidden incorrectly, or not at all. In another thread from 7 years ago, the World Record of 312 caches in a day was achieved. However it was soon discovered that only one team member was actually at each cache, and that the containers were not opened at all and rather signed vandalized on the outside with a sharpie, leading to a new series of angsty threads..

10c00448-f6c4-460f-bb1f-22e0c8a5d51f.jpg

I think knitting would be much better fit as a competitive sport.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Competitive caching usually leads to the containers being closed hastily, with the bags containing the logsheet hanging out, bringing in water, and are often rehidden incorrectly, or not at all. In another thread from 7 years ago, the World Record of 312 caches in a day was achieved. However it was soon discovered that only one team member was actually at each cache, and that the containers were not opened at all and rather signed vandalized on the outside with a sharpie, leading to a new series of angsty threads..

10c00448-f6c4-460f-bb1f-22e0c8a5d51f.jpg

I think knitting would be much better fit as a competitive sport.

Wow, thanks!! I'll bet 75% or more of the readers weren't around for the DRR incident, but that was some crazy stuff, man. Oh, and before anyone asks, "Dallas Record Run". :)

that's not true Steve Nash and I know tons of players that are 5 foot nothing and can play better:p

I realize that NBA All-Star Steve Nash is a Canadian icon, but that made no sense whatsoever. :huh:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I realize that NBA All-Star Steve Nash is a Canadian icon, but that made no sense whatsoever. :huh:

What's to explain? Steve Nash is 6'3" and is good buddies with Off Grid who is 5' 0" and can play better. What's the problem with your comprehension?

Edited by cheech gang

Firstly, thanks for backing up my point as she'd be archiving as we'll as placing they'd balance out and saturation would not be an issue.

Secondly when did I ever say its ok to log any caches you have never found?

She'll be archiving them so that no-one else but me can find them.

I didn't accuse you of saying that ever, but in the eternal struggle to be the leader, who is going to prove that I did not find them ? My wife would definitely confirm that I found them.

The only way to have something "competitive" is to have a basic foundation so that everyone is playing the same game. For example, in sports - everyone plays on the same surface with the same rules. In basketball, for example, every court is exactly the same - the hoops are the same height, the floor is the same length, each game is played for the same amount of time with the same amount of players using the same rules. That makes it possible to compare results from one area to another and determine which teams are the best, etc.

Geocaching is not set up like that at all. There are areas with lots of caches and areas with few. There are areas with easy caches and there are areas with only hard caches. It's not possible to compare results because of that. If I live within easy reach of 200 caches and you only live within easy reach of 30 caches, how can you decide which of us is "better" at geocaching? It doesn't seem possible.

I think the only way to make it competitive is to do "live events" - have a group of people go somewhere that they have never geocached and see who can find the most within a certain span of time or something. Then you are using the same "field" (each geocacher is looking for the same geocaches as everyone else they are competing against) and whatnot. That seems to be the only possible way to accurately compare two (or more) geocachers.

Edited by ZeekLTK

Not exactly Zeek, competative golf is played on a variety of courses. Baseball fields have the same infield dimensions, but are irregular beyond that. Marathon courses are all different, albeit the same length.

I will agree that there can be successful geocaching events like those held at MOGA. But turning the entire activity into a competitive one? Never gonna happen, never gonna work. And I think the OP knows this.

Roman!, the current geocaching find count is poorly suited for a competitive ranking system. The current find count system is like having two people compete on bowling. One person has knocked down 62,500 pins in 500 games (125/game). Another person has only knocked down 30,000 pins, but has only played 150 games (200/game). The geocaching find count would say the person with 62,500 pins is the better bowler. For a competition to be valid, both must compete in the same arena and under the same conditions. Only then can such a comparison accurately reflect the measure of a man. Thus, I believe the geocaching find count is a poor measure for any competition.

Roman!, you are also seeking an unbalanced competition. It's as if all you're looking at is home runs in baseball statistics. Thus, you're overlooking someone with a miraculous .479 batting average and 100 home runs for someone with a .162 average with 400 home runs. You're also leaving out the pitchers entirely, whose real worth is not measured in his batting average. If you seek competition, you should adopt a comprehensive statistical view. Otherwise, how will such a competition and ranking system be taken seriously?

You're currently looking at only one part of the competition: power trails. That's fine to look at this, but not as the whole picture. For geocaching to be competitive in this arena, cachers must be judged on the same power trail under similar conditions. For this, the team size, time limit, and signing method must be the same. This will produce a stat for caches per hour over a six hour time limit for a team of four cachers. This is the closest stat to what you desire. I'd also like to see this stat for when one does a trail solo.

You're also leaving out another significant statistic: finding talent. This is significantly different from a view devoted to quantity. For this, we're competing against who can actually find a cache. Personally, this is the stat in which I'm most interested because I'm more impressed by people who can find hidden caches than I am with people who can find film cans in the middle of a rock triangle in the desert. Cachers compete on a course to find twenty-five hides of varying difficulties, most of which are challenging. We're looking at percentage finds and time taken to complete the course. You could also factor in hiking endurance to get to some caches.

Nothing is wrong with being willing to compete, Roman! (and everyone else who enjoys competition). Just be sure your competitor is judged on the same field as you. Otherwise, all you're after is an ego trip.

-----------

As for competition, though, please exclude me. I have experienced how nasty people get during a competition and I want no part of this disgusting side of people. That said, though, I have no qualms about utterly crushing people who want to drag me, unwilling, into some inane competition. I have done so before, though I do not enjoy the act.

So the BEST basketball team ever in history MUST be the Harlem Globetrotters, with over 23,500 wins and 345 losses. They use the same ball and same court as the Celtics & Lakers, right?

My wife (the Washington Generals) is planning to place a million caches (all film canisters from the photo shop), I have already signed as ftf and after they are published, she will then archive them.

Roman! will lose this inane game he wants to play and I will be the bestest Geocacher in the World!! muhahahahaha :laughing::anitongue::laughing::anitongue::laughing:

Roman!, the current geocaching find count is poorly suited for a competitive ranking system. The current find count system is like having two people compete on bowling. One person has knocked down 62,500 pins in 500 games (125/game). Another person has only knocked down 30,000 pins, but has only played 150 games (200/game). The geocaching find count would say the person with 62,500 pins is the better bowler. For a competition to be valid, both must compete in the same arena and under the same conditions. Only then can such a comparison accurately reflect the measure of a man. Thus, I believe the geocaching find count is a poor measure for any competition.

Roman!, you are also seeking an unbalanced competition. It's as if all you're looking at is home runs in baseball statistics. Thus, you're overlooking someone with a miraculous .479 batting average and 100 home runs for someone with a .162 average with 400 home runs. You're also leaving out the pitchers entirely, whose real worth is not measured in his batting average. If you seek competition, you should adopt a comprehensive statistical view. Otherwise, how will such a competition and ranking system be taken seriously?

You're currently looking at only one part of the competition: power trails. That's fine to look at this, but not as the whole picture. For geocaching to be competitive in this arena, cachers must be judged on the same power trail under similar conditions. For this, the team size, time limit, and signing method must be the same. This will produce a stat for caches per hour over a six hour time limit for a team of four cachers. This is the closest stat to what you desire. I'd also like to see this stat for when one does a trail solo.

You're also leaving out another significant statistic: finding talent. This is significantly different from a view devoted to quantity. For this, we're competing against who can actually find a cache. Personally, this is the stat in which I'm most interested because I'm more impressed by people who can find hidden caches than I am with people who can find film cans in the middle of a rock triangle in the desert. Cachers compete on a course to find twenty-five hides of varying difficulties, most of which are challenging. We're looking at percentage finds and time taken to complete the course. You could also factor in hiking endurance to get to some caches.

Nothing is wrong with being willing to compete, Roman! (and everyone else who enjoys competition). Just be sure your competitor is judged on the same field as you. Otherwise, all you're after is an ego trip.

-----------

As for competition, though, please exclude me. I have experienced how nasty people get during a competition and I want no part of this disgusting side of people. That said, though, I have no qualms about utterly crushing people who want to drag me, unwilling, into some inane competition. I have done so before, though I do not enjoy the act.

I don't think Roman! will read it all, but based on the number of words, he might believe it's a pretty good reply. ;)

I think it's about time GS implimented a world wide ranking system on their site much like cacherstats.

Furthermore everyones ranking should appear below their find count as well as below their name on the forums.

this an exsillint idea and they should do it everyone gets one creddit per find and looses a creddit for evry speeling and grammer errer in there forum posts, loose all creddits and your banned!!

:P

I do understand how you all feel though, change is scary and so is admitting to yourself you were wrong. Look back at when Christopher Columbus proved the Earth was round and didn't revolve around the sun, he was almost executed by the church but he suck to his convictions and proved he was a brilliant man and way ahead of his time.

Yes, I made all that up

You seem to be the one unwilling to admit he's wrong, based on everyone's response to this :huh::lol: and it doesn't seem like what you're saying is all that revolutionary, just because you keep saying it over and over will make it so? Not everyone wants to play the way you do. And they shouldn't be forced to. Those who choose to watch their statistics, rankings, d/t grid, can choose to do so through a third party website. And that seems to be fine with everyone playing, except you.