World wide ranking

Roman!

I think it's about time GS implimented a world wide ranking system on their site much like cacherstats.

Furthermore everyones ranking should appear below their find count as well as below their name on the forums.

They should also remove any duplicate finds from everyones total so their actual find count matches their unique find count.

Anyone caught claiming a find on a cache they did not find will be banned and have their stats removed.

For those that don't like it, and there may be a few, they can have to option to turn off this stat so they will not see it.

I think it's about time GS implimented a world wide ranking system on their site much like cacherstats.

Furthermore everyones ranking should appear below their find count as well as below their name on the forums.

They should also remove any duplicate finds from everyones total so their actual find count matches their unique find count.

Anyone caught claiming a find on a cache they did not find will be banned and have their stats removed.

For those that don't like it, and there may be a few, they can have to option to turn off this stat so they will not see it.

Why?

My guess is that someone cared enough about it to start that other site but that there isn't enough interest in it for Groundspeak to make the rankings official. I'm not saying any of your ideas are bad (to each his own) but they are niche things. You enjoy the competitive aspects of geocaching, as do many people but not everyone. I would guess that incorporating your ideas into a side website like that cachestats and geochecker and the like would be the fastest and may the only way to implement your ideas.

:rolleyes:

It's a shame the forum guidelines don't cover trolling...

Hence why I ask the OP 'why?' Until they explain their motivation for asking such a question then I see no reason to answer.

Let's face it, geocaching has been slowly turning into a competitive sport and all the oldtimers don't like it so they complain on the forums. With the creation of power trails and huge geoart it's become about the numbers as much as it can be without making it officially recognized by GS.

It's time they do that and put the oldtimers out of their misery, time to turn geocaching into a legitimate sport.

Let's face it, geocaching has been slowly turning into a competitive sport and all the oldtimers don't like it so they complain on the forums. With the creation of power trails and huge geoart it's become about the numbers as much as it can be without making it officially recognized by GS.

It's time they do that and put the oldtimers out of their misery, time to turn geocaching into a legitimate sport.

again it maybe a case of where you are. here it doesn't matter if you have 1 find or 1000 finds if you follow the rules of the game. no one here think it's a competitive game and no one cares if your cache is a sign post cache of a cache with a hike as long as there is a reason behind you taking them there.

also i am now to this and i am young so your oldtimers isn't correct either.

Hence why I ask the OP 'why?' Until they explain their motivation for asking such a question then I see no reason to answer.

Based on this and other forum posts, I can see that you are a very competitive person.

If GS did completely change this game to a competitive sport they would drive away a lot of the oldtimers. Most of us are probably premium members, and some of us (like me) have more then one premium account. I don't think GS would want to lose that revenue.

Perhaps GS could create another site called Competitive Geocaching - then they could move all the challenge caches and power trail caches over to that site. They could include official FTF stats too. They will need a good staff of referees to settle all the disputes that are sure to arise about who officially outranks who.

Edited by L0ne R

Based on this and other forum posts, I can see that you are a very competitive person.

If GS did completely change this game to a competitive sport they would drive away a lot of the oldtimers. Most of us are probably premium members, and some of us (like me) have more then one premium account. I don't think GS would want to lose that revenue.

Perhaps GS could create another site called Competitive Geocaching - then they could move all the challenge caches and power trail caches over to that site. They could include official FTF stats too. They will need a good staff of referees to settle all the disputes that are sure to arise about who officially outranks who.

That's actually no a bad idea.

A 'legitimate sport'? Interesting concept. Please explain how you would take this forward?

A 'legitimate sport'? Interesting concept. Please explain how you would take this forward?

Obviously this would have to be well thought out and planned, official rules made and how they'd be enforced. I'm just planting seeds, if GC decides to go ahead with the idea that will be their burden.

Edited by Roman!

Obviously this would have to be well thought out and planned, official rules made and how they'd be enforced. I'm just planting seeds, if GC decides to go ahead with the idea that will be their burden.

...in other words, you have absolutely nothing!

You seem very adept at asking questions but abysmal at answering any. If you are planting seeds at least have some water.

All caches count for the same: 1 :)

There's nothing legitimate about it. Not all caches are the same. Not all players started at the same time. If you want to find five hundred caches in a day on a power trail, and if you can do that without feeling like a fool, somehow, then I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. Maybe you'd do well working on an assembly line, and you'd at least accomplish something in the process. One cache on a mountaintop beats all five hundred from the power trail, and if your ranking doesn't reflect that, then it isn't worth the disk space it's written on.

If geocaching were to become a competitive sport I would guess that it would be comparable to golf in a way. There are governing bodies and sanctioned competitions and anyone at the local level can get an official handicap for a nominal fee. But much if not most of the play is not officially sanctioned in any respect. Also, like golf, people keep their own scores so it would be prone to those who fudge. The governing body of geocaching can't police every find any more than the US Golf Association can police mulligans.

If it becomes an official sport, somebody is going to have to police 2 million log books....

EDIT: it couldn't possibly be the cache owners. Under most sporting governing body's definitions, they wouldn't be impartial. Like playing a football match and finding the other team's coach is the referee.

I refer you to the dictionary definition of 'HOBBY' I posted some moments ago.

Edited by Beach_hut

i12088040._szw425h320_.jpg

Where does Groundspeak call a find count a score?

A score is a number that expresses accomplishment and find count flits that definition so it is a score.

But what you are missing is that numbers aren't the only way to express accomplishment.

Of course but back that trolley up here a second. Geocaching isn't competitive? Well there's a surprise.

So all that FTF, not signing the logbook, Discovering coins from photos, cache count - angst was just friendly discourse?

There is nothing wrong with cache stats and there is nothing wrong with competition. The only problem is people practice excuse caching. Even to the point that logging a missing and archived cache just for a number. Even that they made an effort to try to go caching, Couldn't retrieve the cache. Logbook was too wet. Forgot their pen. I'm sure the owner just wanted me to visit the location.

Stats are important and people will lie to get them.

Since the GC.com maintains the find count upon which any ranking site uses, why not just look at a cacher's find count if you are curious? I don't understand why there is this need to impose one's own will upon the community.

Exactly how am I imposing my will on the community? I am stating what I'd like to see just as others do all the time. I have every right to voice my opinion, whether you or anyone else listens is their right.

Not to mention any locations or anything, but people in certain parts of Ohio, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania, who log events as attended up to 125 times, aren't going to be down with the removal of duplicate finds idea. :ph34r:

This is kind of cute, actually. On one hand you appear to be all about the stats, and all about the numbers, but on the other hand, you appear to discount the people who "choose to play the game their own way" (and for the numbers, I might add)

Exhibit A :lol:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Since the GC.com maintains the find count upon which any ranking site uses, why not just look at a cacher's find count if you are curious? I don't understand why there is this need to impose one's own will upon the community.

Exactly how am I imposing my will on the community? I am stating what I'd like to see just as others do all the time. I have every right to voice my opinion, whether you or anyone else listens is their right.

Not just this thread...I've noticed a recent trend. But since you asked...

How about you just keep track of your ranking and keep it updated under your name on the forum. :laughing:

So, you are planting seeds in a place in a place where people complain about such things? And all the old timers at Groundspeak, who have have never thought about this before, and it has never occurred to, are going to jump all over this idea? :rolleyes:

So when you do a powertrail, I suppose you imagine yourself beating other cacher's find counts into the ground while they sit at the top of a mountain on a long hike and meditate. :P

win-46086152200.jpeg

Not just this thread...I've noticed a recent trend. But since you asked...

How about you just keep track of your ranking and keep it updated under your name on the forum. :laughing:

That's not imposing my will, I'm not forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to I'm just stating my opinion on where I'd like to see the game go.

So, you are planting seeds in a place in a place where people complain about such things? And all the old timers at Groundspeak, who have have never thought about this before, and it has never occurred to, are going to jump all over this idea? :rolleyes:

So when you do a powertrail, I suppose you imagine yourself beating other cacher's find counts into the ground while they sit at the top of a mountain on a long hike and meditate. :P

win-46086152200.jpeg

I have sat atop more mountains then you can shake a fist at and I'm sure while I was up there some other cacher was passing me in the rankings.

Numbers are meaningless. I've done power trails and many mile long multicaches. I'd rather do the latter.

I agree power trails make it feel cheap getting 100 in a day and there usual just nanos

100? I got over 500 and it was one of the best days I ever spent with my kids.

We'd have to reset all counts.

See that was you imposing your will just there...

It's just an opinion, but do you see how it imposes on everyone else? Same as your other threads on cache types you would like eliminated because you don't like them, that imposes on everyone else too.

As has been stated in this thread, there are many caching stat sites that allow you to display your stats in glorious technicolor on your GC.com profile. The people that really care about stats can display them to the world and show off, and the people that don't want to dont have to. Everyone's happy, no one gets hurt. Exactly what have you got against that set up?

Firstly, you want to make Geocaching an official sport.........recognised by whom ? The official sporting association.

Secondly, tallying scores is a dumb idea......When I arrived where I currently live there were precisely 2 geocaches, I placed the third one and the fourth one, could I count those as finds as well. The next nearest cache was 1000 miles away, I would have to have a handicap of around 1000 to be competitive, which doesn't really make it fair on all the people who actually find caches.

So basically you come up with an idea and it is somebody elses responsibility to implement it. And you expect people to take you seriously.

If it wasn't for most of the "old timers" you wouldn't be playing this game.

It's funny. In a thread about puzzle caches, you state you don't like them, because you question (and I paraphrase) "what does sitting in front of your computer solving a puzzle to do with getting outside and finding a cache?"

In recent threads you discuss D/T grids, making FTF official, and now wanting to see peoples' "rankings".

What does all of this have to do with getting outside and finding a cache?

Not to mention any locations or anything, but people in certain parts of Ohio, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania, who log events as attended up to 125 times, aren't going to be down with the removal of duplicate finds idea. :ph34r:

This is kind of cute, actually. On one hand you appear to be all about the stats, and all about the numbers, but on the other hand, you appear to discount the people who "choose to play the game their own way" (and for the numbers, I might add)

This is where I live, and the abuse of this is absurd. There's also a yearly event in Cambridge, Ohio, where there are 70-80 virtual temp caches that are Christmas displays, all within one mile of each other. In essence, drive a mile, log 80 caches. :lol:

This is where I live, and the abuse of this is absurd. There's also a yearly event in Cambridge, Ohio, where there are 70-80 virtual temp caches that are Christmas displays, all within one mile of each other. In essence, drive a mile, log 80 caches. :lol:

Back in say 2005 or 2006, when this practice of logging "temporary caches" was much more common, there were many long threads, and even many defenders of the practice chiming in. (For example, the Whole State of Wisconsin used to go bonkers over the practice; now it's completely dead there). But now that it's died out just about everywhere but a couple hundred square mile region of Ohio, W.V., and Pa., I predict you and I will be the only two who even comment on it.

Oh, I've heard of that one with the 80 virtuals (A cache type that was discontinued from this website in 2005, incidently :laughing:). I find it very disappointing that the people who worked hard for those 80 smilies would be not have them count in Roman's world wide ranking. :blink:

We make fun of the people who log that annual event all the time. Over 8000 attended that event. Uh, sure, right. Put out a 5 gallon bucket with 200 film cans each holding a log, and then claim a find on each one. Whatever.

Everybody has their own idea of a score. How about this instead?

- GS allows you to define your own formula for a score

- functions are provided to calculate your score, things like:

totalFinds() returns total number of finds

totalFinds(5,5) returns total number of D5/T5 finds

totalFinds(1,1,3,3) returns total number of finds between D1/T1 and D3/T3

totalFinds(Size.Micro) returns total number of finds that are micro containers

etc ...

- Enter the formula you want to use in your profile:

totalFinds() : the default, and traditional "score"

totalFinds(1,1,3,3) + totalFinds(4,4) * 10 + totalFinds(5,5) * 100 : gives "extra credit" for harder finds

totalFinds(5,5) : for he-man cachers, score includes only 5/5 caches

totalFinds() * 10000 : for cachers that want a really high score

totalFinds() * 0 : for cachers who think the whole numbers thing is stupid

My point is, find count, score, ranking, whatever ... is irrelevant. Everybody plays this game (not sport!) differently, has a different set of rules, and imposing your own way of ranking just doesn't make sense. I'd love to hide my total find count, because it's relevant to me and me alone.

My all time favorite abuse of "numbers" has to do with the GPS Adventures Exhibit. For those who have been to the exhibit, you know that there are "rooms" with hidden containers to give non geocachers an idea of what Geocaching is like.

These are tethered, screwed shut, and contain no log. Yet when the exhibit came to Dayton, Ohio, some of the "anything for a smiley" crowd logged these non-geocaches in addition to the exhibit itself.

Edited by St.Matthew

My all time favorite abuse of "numbers" has to do with the GPS Adventures Exhibit. For those who have been to the exhibit, you know that there are "rooms" with hidden containers to give non geocachers an idea of what Geocaching is like.

These are tethered, screwed shut, and contain no log. Yet when the exhibit came to Dayton, Ohio, some of the "anything for a smiley" crowd logged these non-geocaches in addition to the exhibit itself.

Did they log a smiley for finding their car in the parking lot after the visit?

• Funny 1