ftf

It's not a game- it's a fact. The first FTF was on the first geocache. Of course I'm sure nobody knows when it became competitive... Probably some time before geocaching.com was around

Its a game. You have special codes you have to write down like ft ft log etc. You have to be alert and ready to break speed limits.

No it's a fact- it doesn't matter if you write down FTF, if its listed on another caching site first and someone finds it before its listed here, or they find it by mistake- the first person who finds it is first. That's what first to find means. It's only a game (competition?) if you make it so. I dont make it a competition by if I get there before anyone else I'm not the last, not the third, I'm first. And like I said above it probably happened before geocaching.com. Someone on the old forums that they first used probably said- there's $5 or a cd or something in this cache for the first person to find it, which lead to the first race to see who got there before anyone else- or what we call FTF.

It's not a game- it's a fact. The first FTF was on the first geocache. Of course I'm sure nobody knows when it became competitive... Probably some time before geocaching.com was around

I joined in April 2001 and there wasn't any 'race' to be first (my first FTF was on my 15th cache), it just happened. There weren't that many caches and there weren't that many cachers (which is why in 2003 when 11 cachers all showed up at a cache - not FTF - it was a surprise/shock, I'd only met a handful before at caches).

Besides, geocaching.com started only 3-4 months after the first cache was placed.

Its a game. You have special codes you have to write down like ft ft log etc. You have to be alert and ready to break speed limits.

You must be thinking of pizza delivery.

Its a game.

More correctly, it's an unofficial side-game of geocaching.

You have special codes you have to write down like ft ft log etc.

There are no special codes, despite Roman!'s attempts at introducing them.

You have to be alert and ready to break speed limits.

You sometimes need to be alert, but if you're breaking speed limits to get a FTF, you're doing it wrong. Geocaching is not an excuse to do something illegal.

That was actually the one and only FFTF (First first to find)

Who invented this game ? Was it started in the beginning or later

This has actually come up before. I'm far from the oldest of the old-timers, but when I started in August 2003, I can tell you in my area, people talked about, and pursued "FTF". And I had actually surfed the website for about 2 weeks, and educated myself on Geocaching before creating the account, and signing up after finding my first cache, and sitting at home getting ready to log it. So I already had figured out what it meant. You did not need an account to see coordinates and find a cache back then. That'll freak some people out these days, eh?

Some people have brought up in the past that you'll never see the acronym "FTF" used in 2000, 2001, or even early 2002. Feel free to surf some old time cache pages, and get back to me on that one. :lol:

Its a game.

You sometimes need to be alert, but if you're breaking speed limits to get a FTF, you're doing it wrong. Geocaching is not an excuse to do something illegal.

Ah I thought there was cause there was ftf ft log I've seen quite a few weird ones

You must be thinking of pizza delivery.

Good observation! Pizza delivery experience is great preparation for the FTF game...I mean un-game!

:D

Its a game.

Does this extend to illegal parking? There was a thread about a month ago where STF wanted to have the FTF disqualified because FTF illegally parked close to the cache & beat STF by about a minute!

FTF is a cut-throat game...I mean un-game.

Its a game.

Does this extend to illegal parking? There was a thread about a month ago where STF wanted to have the FTF disqualified because FTF illegally parked close to the cache & beat STF by about a minute!

god you should see some of the you tube videos for ftf crazy ones they sped into the parking lot a hundred miles an hour did like a slide didn't even look awake or dressed and ran past two kids to Get it jumping up and down took all the swag for ftf instead of leaving something for the kids ran past the kids laughing if I was the father is have wanted to smack one

Its a game.

god you should see some of the you tube videos for ftf crazy ones they sped into the parking lot a hundred miles an hour did like a slide didn't even look awake or dressed and ran past two kids to Get it jumping up and down took all the swag for ftf instead of leaving something for the kids ran past the kids laughing if I was the father is have wanted to smack one

So post a couple.

... took all the swag for ftf instead of leaving something for the kids ran past the kids laughing if I was the father is have wanted to smack one

If it's for the First To Find, why leave it?

Unless some was for the Second To Find?

Now, if they were just taking the swag, and there was NO FTF prize... That's another issue!

Back in the day...

In the early days there were no 'urban' caches.

Caches were placed at the end of a grueling 4WD trek, or at a mountain top requiring a 12 mile hike, or in some other remote area that required skill, daring, planning and ability to access.

Being FTF meant you were a true outdoors-man who knew his way around the back country.

Nowadays it just means you happened to be at WalMart when the cache in the parking lot was published.

Back in the day...

Caches were placed at the end of a grueling 4WD trek, or at a mountain top requiring a 12 mile hike, or in some other remote area that required skill, daring, planning and ability to access.

Being FTF meant you were a true outdoors-man who knew his way around the back country.

Nowadays it just means you happened to be at WalMart when the cache in the parking lot was published.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: If you say so...a log from 2002 (interesting reference to FTF even back then):

I got off work at 2:30pm and found the cache on the way home at 2:50pm. I think I am first to find this cache, which is almost impossible to do anymore with the growing popularity of this sport. This is only my 2nd first in 49 finds. This is a good location ,but; this area does indeed get a lot of activity. This is a big cache so it might be difficult to re-hide without a partner to watch for others

Back in the day...

i bet you walked uphill both ways in the snow to the cache too.

You guys remind me of Abe Simpson with these "back in my day" posts.

35nzxx.jpg

Edited by Roman!

Yeah, and as we all know ALL geocachers are men. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Like in all other languages, when you're referring to EVERYONE, the proper way is to use the masculine form. If that offends you then we've really gone over the deep end.

Yeah, and as we all know ALL geocachers are men. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Like in all other languages, when you're referring to EVERYONE, the proper way is to use the masculine form. If that offends you then we've really gone over the deep end.

I'm an outdoor women last I checked

Anybody hungry for pizza?

My clan is so new to this and we are considering putting together a first time cache of our own to hide; is there certain etiquette to follow as to what to place inside for that first time finder? I’ve also seen people claim being second finder. I’m only in this for family fun and if we take something from the cache the kids and I try to leave it better than when we find it. Although that has been a bit problematic at times cos the girlie has wanted to take what we left :lol:

Anybody hungry for pizza?

My clan is so new to this and we are considering putting together a first time cache of our own to hide; is there certain etiquette to follow as to what to place inside for that first time finder? I’ve also seen people claim being second finder. I’m only in this for family fun and if we take something from the cache the kids and I try to leave it better than when we find it. Although that has been a bit problematic at times cos the girlie has wanted to take what we left :lol:

Geocoins trackable landsharkz has some good stuff

Back in the day...

I agree and I could not stop laughing at the Walmart part so true

FTF for me has become a bit of a rush. I've got 3 so far, (2 in the last 2 days) and man, there is just something about it! Opening that container in anticipation that the FTF line is still clear, it's good times for sure.

There is someone in my area who has a TON of FTF, I see him/her on lots of caches as the ftf. You know who you are, and yes, I'm coming for you! : ) J/K!!! LOL