Garmin Choice

I have the Oregon 550 and I like it a lot. I have no experience with the new Etrek.

If you prefer touch screen interface, go with one of the Oregons. That was a big factor for me after fiddling with the Etrex's tiny joystick for a year.

If you think you'll want a rugged, waterproof camera on the trail, go for the 550. It's not a great camera, but it's decent....as good as the camera you'd get on cell phones 3-5 years ago (3 mp). If the camera is not a deal breaker for you, save some money and get the 450, that's the only difference between them.

I wouldn't waste my money on the T model....you can download maps for free from online sites like GPSfiledepot.com.

I'll throw another one into the mix...

GPSMap 62s

:anibad:

We have a Oregon 450 & 62s.

Basically, they both do the same thing. Oregon 450 has touch screen and the 62 does not. Touch screen is nice, however...prone to accidental touchs (if you don't lock the screen). The Oregon's screen is faint... The 62 screen is nice and crisp. We tend to favor the 62 over the Oregon because of the screen, the size/feel. The 62 has an external antennae (Oregon does not). However - that hasn't made any difference in terms of accuracy for us when using both units.

Just a quick word I have just bought a garmin etrek 30 and in the shop it looked fantastic.

went on my first geocache outing and there were no roads on the GPS.Dowwnloaded the free birds eye imaging and looked ok where i was. I now find if I want roads all over UK it will cost me £30 to download or if I want Europe it will cost me £75. I have a satnav that cost me £100 3 years ago that gives me more info than I can get now. Have I been ripped off?????????

Sjimbo77

Just a quick word I have just bought a garmin etrek 30 and in the shop it looked fantastic.

went on my first geocache outing and there were no roads on the GPS.Dowwnloaded the free birds eye imaging and looked ok where i was. I now find if I want roads all over UK it will cost me £30 to download or if I want Europe it will cost me £75. I have a satnav that cost me £100 3 years ago that gives me more info than I can get now. Have I been ripped off?????????

Sjimbo77

You can get OSM maps of the UK for free here: Talkytoaster I've been using these for years on an Etrex Vista, and will be using them on my Etrex 30 when it arrives (tomorrow hopefully), IMHO they're all you need. That page can seem a bit daunting at first but all the instructions are there to download and install the maps on your device. If you have questions about using those maps it's probably best to ask in the UK regional forum where Talkytoaster hangs out, as well as lots of other users of the maps.

Sjimbo77

Not ripped off, your research before purchasing was just incomplete. Live and learn.