How to find archived caches?

floridabiker1

There have been several geocaches in my area that I never found and have disappeared from the results since then, and so, I assume they are archived. Even though the cache isn't there any more to find, I was wondering if there is any way to locate the cache listing, just to find out what happened to it. I have been able to do this for ones that I have on my watchlist or logged, but how do you find the listing of archived caches that you DON'T have the link to?

Thank you,

floridabiker1

If you've not found it, and you don't know the GC number, the only way I know is to look in the hidden caches of the cache owner (obviously, if you know who they are), or to look through the found caches of cachers in the area to see if they have found it. Neither is an ideal method, obviously.

So no way to specifically send a query about them?

No, they are intentionally hard to find on the website. The idea is that they were archived for a reason and it might not always be a good idea to go looking for them. If you do want to go physically look for an archived cache, it is important to read the logs on the cache page and see why it was archived. The cache could have been causing problems with neighbors, property owners or land managers. You don't want to go out and renew those problems.

There's a few ways of finding them.

One is to set up notifications so you get an email every time a cache in your area is archived. You could then move these emails into a special folder in your inbox so you would have a record of recently archived caches.

Another way is to use GSAK to search for them. This only works, though, if you downloaded pocket queries containing the geocaches before they were archived.

Another way is to look through cache owner's hides or to look through a prolific cacher's finds to see them. Archived caches are red with a line through them.

If people could see archived caches on a map, more COs might not pick up their defunct caches. Which would also mess with the .1 mile rule. A CO could "archive" one cache, plant another one 25 feet away. Cachers would see the archived-but-not-removed cache on the map as well as the active cache on the GC map then find and log both.

Edited by L0ne R

If people could see archived caches on a map, more COs might not pick up their defunct caches. Which would also mess with the .1 mile rule. A CO could "archive" one cache, plant another one 25 feet away. Cachers would see the archived-but-not-removed cache on the map as well as the active cache on the GC map then find and log both.

Sadly, there are COs doing this intentionally.

Place cache.

Archive it.

Place new cache nearby. (like 50 feet away)

Give the GC code and the co-ordinates in the new listing and state the old cache is still there and to go ahead and log it. (Of course this last part is edited in AFTER the cache is published.)

Place cache.

Archive it.

Give the GC code and the co-ordinates in the new listing and state the old cache is still there and to go ahead and log it. (Of course this last part is edited in AFTER the cache is published.)

I would quietly report that to a reviewer, who would probably lock the archived cache.

• Upvote 1

Place cache.

Archive it.

I would quietly report that to a reviewer, who would probably lock the archived cache.

Me too.

Never (yet) seen such antics around here, but I've heard about it.

Probably only a matter of time before some local tries the same trick. <_<