Looking for a GPS that works like my iPhone

We started Geocaching a little over a year ago. Our first GPS was a eXplorist GC. We are looking to upgrade to a better GPS. We were wondering if there is a GPS that would work similar to the way the geocaching app works on my iPhone. Is there a GPS that doesn't need to be connected to a computer and have geocaches "sent to my GPS"? Is one that just automatically has them and will tell you what you are near just like my iPhone app does?

If there isn't one that does the above what GPS would you recommend? We want something that is easy to maneuver and use. I would like one that I can type details when we find a geocache without having to use the toggle button to move around (again something similar to the app on my iPhone). If I'm getting a GPS that does need to be connected to a computer it needs to be MAC friendly.

Thanks!

There are no dedicated GPS units made with a wireless connection to let you load Geocaches without connecting to a computer.

Most of Garmins's handheld units and software are Mac compatible though, so apart from that "works like an iPhone" you can pretty much pick a price point and feature set and find something that will suit your needs.

Edited by user13371

It depends on your price range. You define that first and we can give you recommendations. I have had the Garmin Legend, Etrex, Colorado, 62, 450, 550 and now the Montana. Any from the Colorado up will do what you want. I have had the Montana as long or maybe longer than any other and unless thay do a model like you want it may be the last one I ever own.

Then there is the map issue. DO NOT get the T model. You are better off with after market for your TOPO.

If there isn't one that does the above what GPS would you recommend? We want something that is easy to maneuver and use. I would like one that I can type details when we find a geocache without having to use the toggle button to move around (again something similar to the app on my iPhone). If I'm getting a GPS that does need to be connected to a computer it needs to be MAC friendly.

I have a Colorado 400t, an eTrex 30 .... and a MacBook Pro. Pretty much all the newer Garmin models (with USB) are Mac friendly. There's even a Garmin Communicator plugin for Safari, and Basecamp for Mac to manage waypoints, maps, caches.

Only real issue on Mac is the lack of a decent GSAK like program. iCaching is about the best I've come up with so far on that front.

It depends on your price range. You define that first and we can give you recommendations. I have had the Garmin Legend, Etrex, Colorado, 62, 450, 550 and now the Montana. Any from the Colorado up will do what you want. I have had the Montana as long or maybe longer than any other and unless thay do a model like you want it may be the last one I ever own.

Then there is the map issue. DO NOT get the T model. You are better off with after market for your TOPO.

No it won't....😋

Maybe you want to wait for this one:

http://forums.Ground...howtopic=309332

Can't begin to imagine how pricey that's going to be!!!

Early indicators I read (Amazon listing for example) point to a $700 unit, with WiFi.

At $700 I can get an Android tablet or an iPad Mini with Cellular and an Otterbox. I expect the Monterra will be more rugged than an iPad but let's face it a Wifi large screen Android device is not exactly first pick for backcountry travel. If you're caching in the city the Samsung Mini or the iPad Mini will likely smoke the Monterra for capabilities/price. Me, I'm sticking with small scale purpose built for my outdoor GPS. The Colorado 400 (and it's bugs) taught me that. K.I.S.S. applies well to backcountry gear.

There are no dedicated GPS units made with a wireless connection to let you load Geocaches without connecting to a computer.

Most of Garmins's handheld units and software are Mac compatible though, so apart from that "works like an iPhone" you can pretty much pick a price point and feature set and find something that will suit your needs.

That may be true in this country but not in Europe where this http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-01065-00-Monterra-Enabled-Handheld/dp/B00BLZDK82 Garmin is being sold. They have not announced USA release date yet.

Oops the penguin beat me to it.

Edited by Walts Hunting