Starting First Cache - quick questions

bjcrisp

I am building my first geocache and am a bit confused on the order of things. The Official Geocache label has a place for the GC Code but I presume, because I have not yet started my first cache, that the cache form will require the cache coordinates. My questions:

1. Do I have to visit any cache spot twice before it can be reviewed/approved - once to get the coordinates and once to deposit the cache after I have received the GC? Or will I get the GC as soon as I submit the form so I can take the cache out immediately afterwards? Either way, it looks like there is no way to enter a cache without having to visit it twice or more time to start. Wondering if someone can confirm or clarify.

2. When do I physically place the cache in the designated location? Before or after it has been approved?

3. When do I receive a GC code? Before or after the cache has been reviewed/approved?

You might want to read through this. It should answer some of your questions.

However, in case you don't read that, I'll mention some important points:

1. When you submit your cache for review, your container should already be in place. Once a reviewer has looked over your cache and sees everything is okay, they'll publish it right away for everyone to find. There are many people who will rush out to attempt to be the first to find it. You don't want to waste everyone's time by having them search for something that you haven't had time to place yet. Trust me, they'll beat you to it.

2. You can create a cache listing, which will generate a GC code, before submitting it for review. You can make a bare-bones listing, get the GC code, add it to the label, place the container, and then finish and submit your listing.

3. While you may see it as a waste of effort to visit the location twice, I strongly advise you to do so. If you only take a single set of readings when getting the coordinates of your spot, it may not necessarily be very accurate. If you go back on another visit, you can check the accuracy of your first set and, if necessary, take more readings to improve the accuracy.

^^^ What he said

As soon as you start your cache page a GC number is generated. You can use your initial coordinates or even just get the coordinates off of Google maps (do NOT use the Google maps coordinates as your final, published coordinates....this is just to create your cache page so accuracy is not critical at this point). Just don't submit it for review yet. Once you have your good, final coordinates you can edit your original ones before you submit it for review.

And DO visit the site two or three times, at least, to ensure accurate coordinates. If your GPS has a waypoint averaging feature, learn it and use it. If it does not, do the math and get an average reading yourself. Just hitting "mark waypoint" is not accurate enough for cache placement.

1. GC code is generated when you first start your cache page.

2. Take multiple readings. Use your waypoint averaging feature, or take three or four readings on different days and average them.

3. Make sure there are no other caches within 528 feet of where you are planning on placing yours. Do a search on geocaching.com and check to see. If there are caches in the area load them into your gpsr and check to see if they are to close to yours.

4. Make sure the cache is placed and ready to go before you submit it for review. Select "Post a reviewers note" for each cache. In the note tell the reviewer (1) that the cache is in place and you have permission to place it. Include the contact info of that person. (2) what type of container it is (make sure it is labeled "geocache" (3) How it is hidden, in a tree, under a rock ect. The more information you give the reviewer the faster your cache will be published.

If there is an issue with the cache the reviewer will "disable" the cache temporary until the issue(s)are resolved. Post another reviewers note with your solutions to the issues and re-submit the cache for review. All "post a reviewer notes" between you and your reviewer will be removed from the cache page when it's posted.

You get the gc code after it's published.

Not exactly. You get the GC code after you have started the cache page. You can start the page and leave it NOT ENABLED, ie NOT In Place and Ready to be Found. You can then take as long as you need to finish the cache and the page. At this time you can use approximate coordinates (say, from Google Earth for instance).

When everything is ready, and you have placed the cache and obtained the most accurate coordinates possible, (using your GPS at the location) you can submit the listing for publication.

Thanks for the quick responses, everyone!

My young daughter is very excited about put out our first geocache so we are ready to put it out this weekend based on your assisted responses. We are also less than 1KM from the cache so it will be no problem revisiting it to update the coordinates. I will read up on my Garmin eTrex Venture HC to see if it has Waypoint averaging and try and learn how to use it.

Thanks again!