Been out of caching for a while and need some help please.

I took a year off from caching and am now starting to feel the itch to get back into it. The only problem is my tired old brain has forgotten some important information. I realize I could search online and find it, but I don't have much luck with finding anything on the internet and am hoping a couple folks will throw some of their wisdom out for my benefit.

I've got a pretty good idea of which GPSr I will be purchasing based on my previous caching experiences, but for the life of my I can't remember the names of some of the online vendors that sell GPSrs. I can remember eBay (yep always a bit of a risk, but I'm pretty experienced there so I generally do good at picking good sellers) and Amazon.com. However, I know there were a couple other online vendors that frequently had good sales, but I can't remember any of their names. So if anybody can just share some names of good reputable vendors online so I can start researching prices it would be appreciated.

I will keep an eye on the Garage Sale forum here since I know that can be a good place too, but I'm not too patient and if what I'm looking for isn't listed soon I'll probably just opt to pay retail and get caching sooner.

Thanks in advance and happy caching!

If I understand correctly, you're asking about brand and model GPS unit. I have three ways I search for caches. I installed an app on my smart phone that allows me access to geocaching.com almost anywhere. I do everything through the phone. I chose cachesense which is a one-time cost and has more capability than you can shake a stick at. Once your pocket queries are loaded, cachesense can go offline (back country) and it still works great. So if you have a GPS enabled smart phone, that may be the cheapest route.

Next, I learned how to load GPX files into my Garmin Nuvi. Yes, this is for cars but it can make due. Mostly I use it while driving to see what is in the vicinity. It has limited battery life so it is best used in the urban setting.

Finally, my serious GPSr is the Garmin GPSmap 60csx. It is a handheld specifically designed for back country use. It does well in areas with weak GPS signal, such as deep valleys in our Colorado mountains where I live. I also pull this out when my other options have trouble with signal bounce. However, its not cheap.

You really should check on what's available through geocaching.com and visit the review pages for the various devices.

All the best, doug

Thanks for the input BlueDeuce. I'll definitely be checking on Amazon and probably some other places. :)

I'm not giving my input without sincerity. I've dealt with many online sites and gave them more than a few dollars. I will not play around with anything other than honest service. You would have heard about any problems, trust me.