Cache's in wierd place's

I did a virtual cache that consisted of the meager rusted remains of an old car out in the woods. Using evidence found at the scene, one had to identify the year, make and model. That was fun.

I didn't occur to me until afterwards that perhaps the cache placer hadn't known the answer ... icon_wink.gif

I did a virtual cache that consisted of the meager rusted remains of an old car out in the woods. Using evidence found at the scene, one had to identify the year, make and model. That was fun.

I didn't occur to me until afterwards that perhaps the cache placer hadn't known the answer ... icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by tomboy:

In the far future would'nt it be cool to hide a cache in space. If so someone would have to invent a new kind of GPS

Well it looks like NASA does use GPSr's on the shuttle while it is in orbit. http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/srtm/aoda.html says
quote:
Orbit determination is provided by the Global Positioning System (GPS). For SRTM, two GPS receivers, developed as part of JPL's Space Receiver program, are connected to GPS antennas located on the outboard radar antenna.

quote:
Well it looks like NASA does use GPSr's on the shuttle while it is in orbit

I wonder if their GPSr works like my Vista.

I wonder if they use the "Goto" feature when they are lining up for a landing. I wonder if it signals the the astronauts that they are "Arriving at destination" while they are still somewhere over Texas. icon_biggrin.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

quote:
Well it looks like NASA does use GPSr's on the shuttle while it is in orbit

I wonder if their GPSr works like my Vista.

I wonder if they use the "Goto" feature when they are lining up for a landing. I wonder if it signals the the astronauts that they are "Arriving at destination" while they are still somewhere over Texas. icon_biggrin.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

If the cache was in a geosynchonous orbit, you could just use a regular lat/lon

You wouldn't need to post the Lat or elevation. Just the Lon if the geosynchonous orbit was geostationary.

Otherwise you will need to give several fixes depending upon time of day. For polor Beosynchonous orbits for instance. icon_razz.gif At 0000 UCT it's 90 N, at 0600 it's at 118 W at 1200 it's at 90 S.

If the cache was in a geosynchonous orbit, you could just use a regular lat/lon

You wouldn't need to post the Lat or elevation. Just the Lon if the geosynchonous orbit was geostationary.

Otherwise you will need to give several fixes depending upon time of day. For polor Beosynchonous orbits for instance. icon_razz.gif At 0000 UCT it's 90 N, at 0600 it's at 118 W at 1200 it's at 90 S.

Local to my area there are some "abandoned" movie sets. Some buddies and I used to hike up to them about 10 years ago, one of them was the set for the 3rd installment of the Friday the 13th movie series, and it includes the "lake", dock, and cabin.

My idea was to place the cache in the cabin, in the refrigerator, disguised as if it were a severed head.

Alas, as I was researching the location of the probable cache site, I discovered that the property is part of a "movie ranch" and is therefore private property.

We did not know this in our past tresspasses, we actually came across/discovered it by old fireroads and trails.