Geocaching as an online dating service??

Geo Ho

So are you saying that it's time for me to watch "The Graduate" over and over on DVD, and practice bursting into the back of a church yelling "MOPAR!" ...

.... Mopar? Mopar is a guy, I .... think ..... you ........

:D:D:D:D:(:rolleyes::tongue::bad::):D

Never mind, sorry I asked! I miss the old day when things were simpler ...

Not sure this counts as a Geo-dating success story, but it fits with this thread, which, I realize, has been stopped for a while. Maybe this will re-open it and there will be ANOTHER success story (?)

Went on a date a couple of weeks ago, and when we got in my car, she looks at the GPS stuck to my windshield and asks "What's that?" two minutes later we were headed for the nearest geocache I had not yet found. When we get parked, I hand her the GPS, show her the pointer screen and tell her "go for it." Off she goes, and 5 minutes later we are fishing through the ample contents of her first geocache. She seemed pretty excited about it at the time, but you never know if it will stick.

A week later, my phone rings..."Is this a good deal? A streetpilot 3 for $400?" I say, "You want to spend $400 on a GPS?" She says, well, I really want to take my kids out geocaching, and I want to be sure and get a good GPS." Soo...long story short, I dropped by her house, and showed her my two day old GPSMAP 60CS...she got hers yesterday in the mail. Soulmates? Who knows...I do know this, however...$400 for a GPS is a heck of a lot less than I paid for my first wife's wedding ring. I can't help but read with envy the saga of Mopar and Geo Ho...might be fun to see if there are more of those out there.

bunkerdave, it's a delight to see you posting in the forums with such a positive report. Good luck to you and your new geocaching partner!

You got me to thinkin... as another divorced guy... so here are

The Geocachers' Wedding Vows

I, Leprechaun, take you, [player to be named later], to be my usually lawful geocaching partner (except while night caching in parks that close at dusk), to have and to hold the GPS (while I am checking the map), for richer for poorer (depending on whether we're FTF or the cache has been plundered), to search out caches in sickness and in health (because we are addicted), for so long as we both shall have unfound caches on our search results page.

[Minister:] It is now time for the exchange of GPS receivers. Will the Garmin bearer please come forward?

[Leprechaun:]I offer you, [player to be named later], this Garmin 60CS as a token of our geocaching partnership. May its full-color display symbolize the varied experiences of our cache hunts, and may its true north arrow symbolize my keeping on a straight and narrow path. Unless there is tree cover.

[Minister:] You may now kiss the bride.

[Leprechaun:] Yeah, sure, but first let me ask you, is it OK to hide a micro in the cemetery out back?

bunkerdave, it's a delight to see you posting in the forums with such a positive report. Good luck to you and your new geocaching partner!

You got me to thinkin... as another divorced guy... so here are

The Geocachers' Wedding Vows

I, Leprechaun, take you, [player to be named later], to be my usually lawful geocaching partner (except while night caching in parks that close at dusk), to have and to hold the GPS (while I am checking the map), for richer for poorer (depending on whether we're FTF or the cache has been plundered), to search out caches in sickness and in health (because we are addicted), for so long as we both shall have unfound caches on our search results page.

[Minister:] It is now time for the exchange of GPS receivers. Will the Garmin bearer please come forward?

[Leprechaun:]I offer you, [player to be named later], this Garmin 60CS as a token of our geocaching partnership. May its full-color display symbolize the varied experiences of our cache hunts, and may its true north arrow symbolize my keeping on a straight and narrow path. Unless there is tree cover.

[Minister:] You may now kiss the bride.

[Leprechaun:] Yeah, sure, but first let me ask you, is it OK to hide a micro in the cemetery out back?

014.gif Weddings always make me cry.

When's the reception? It is open bar, right? <_<

Hey, a 276C would be like, ummm, a commitment or something.  Gold digger!

Hey nothing wrong with a girl having high expectations! <_<

When's the reception? It is open bar, right?

I think Beckerbuns and Nurse Dave are having a geowedding event. Not sure about the open bar part though.

This isn't entirely on-topic, and it's not entirely off-topic either; but I had to tell this story.

This took place about ten years ago.  The Internet existed, then, but it was nothing like it is today, and most of the world didn't know about it, much less have any kind of access thereto.  The computer-based method of communication that was most popular back then was what were called Bulletin Board Systems, or BBSes.  In more sophisticated forms, these BBSes existed in loose networks.  Not realtime networks like the Internet.  The way these worked is that during the wee hours of the morning, the BBSes that participated in a particular network would call one another, and pass messages around, so that by the next day, a message posted on one would appear on all that carried that forum.  The biggest of these networks was something called FidoNet.

Of course, back in those days, these sort of things were populated mostly by your stereotypical computer nerds — young men who were very intelligent, in general, but entirely lacking in any social skills, and desperately lonely for opposite–sex companionship.  I was probably one of the more extreme examples of such a person.

As you can imagine, the few female participants in these forums tended to attract a lot of attention.

In a FidoNet forum, devoted to fans of Rush Limbaugh, a young woman named Seanette Pierce managed to attract quite a bit of attention, not only be being female, but by making remarks about her dissatisfaction with the dating prospects in her home area.

In what can only be described as either a miracle of an extreme sort; or else a remarkable defiance of statistical likelyhood; I was the one who most succeeded in attracting Seanette's attention to myself, and convincing her that I might make a good romantic prospect for her.

After a great deal of back-and-forth communication, Seanette travelled about 800 miles to visit me.  A year later…

Kissing.jpg

There's a lot more to our story.  For some of it, click on the picture.

Edited by Bob Blaylock

I have not noticed there are a ton of single, female cachers in my area, so my hopes are not high for meeting one that is into it as much as me...I have, however, introduced several over the last couple of years. Only one of whom I know has actually purchased her own GPS and gone caching without me. Still not sure if she was hoping she and I would do more caching together, or if she dropped the 600 bones on her set up so she wouldn't have to call me to go caching :o ....any thoughts on this from the ladycachers in the forums?

Well, I didn't start geocaching to meet men, but knowing that more men than women do this is a good thing for a single gal. Of course, many more male geocachers are married than not.

But it would be really cool to date a geocacher! It's hard enough explain this interest to family and friends -- dates can handle the fact that you might want to go hiking, but try explaining that you are looking for Tupperware out in the woods to someone you want to believe that you are mentally stable! :o

Bec

Well I happen to be a Geo Gal who was introduced to the game by another cacher I was dating at the time. I got so into caching, that a few months after I started, I got my own GPS.

Last October, we broke up, but I kept on caching.

When I was trying to find a new caching partner, all the guys from my area were already married.

It was hard to find a muggle who wanted to cache with me, so I went alone for a while or with other Gal Cacher friends of mine.

But now I have found true love!!!!

I didn't find him through caching, but I've turned the once muggle father and son into CACHERS!

65e3ab25-12c5-4cef-ba4e-0c08fdf5f780.jpg

These two didn't meet through Geocaching, but they became engaged through it...

We're Engaged!

Now as for me, I'm a 32 y/o soon-to-be-single father (of a 9 y/o son). I'm 5'10", medium build and I work as a network administrator... yadda yadda. :o

Here's a corny pic of me that my son took while we were out caching...

06-17-04_cattails_and_ivy-slam.jpg

I guess the fact that my GPS(s) are always perched in their cradles on my dashboard makes them something of an unavoidable topic of conversation. It's kind of like having a ring in your nose and expecting people to NOT mention it. The fact is, GPS, gadgets, geocaching, etc...is my passion...so the way I figure it, if a woman doesn't understand the appeal of all that, then she certainly won't understand me. As I mention in my profile, I got a globe and a world atlas for Christmas when I was 6. The tops of all the mountains on the globe are worn off, and the atlas has no cover...but I still have both of them. They are both severely outdated, but they are two of my most cherished posessions. My three and a half year old daughter comes to my house (I am divorced and she lives with her mom most of the time) and grabs one of my many globes and loves looking at them. Of course, few things could please me more.

I have not met too many women who actually seemed to think caching was strange..then again, I am not dating any of those I have told about it, either...so who knows? Seems like all the ladies I know who are outdoorsy at all (an absolute requirement for me, as with any cacher-guy, I am sure) see the appeal of using GPS to explore new places. Plus, it shows that I know how to ask for directions. I just ask a little box on my dash instead of stopping at the nearest gas station.

Just keep everyone posted . . . tomorrow is our NINE MONTHaversary! Can you believe it? I can! I've never been happier.

We dropped this guy off in a cache on a recent trip to California. We hope he makes it back to us in time for . . . msn_secret.png

6d581310-2670-4841-b31c-b5ac9a99b84a.jpg

Mopar, Geo Ho and Geo Penguin caching on the AT!

Anyhoo . . .

Happy caching and stuff! :(

icon_eek.gif<!--graemlin::eek:--><BR><BR>I received several e-mail messages from a YOUNGER man. I'm not that old but a quite a bit older than him. Apparently, seeing my profile decided that he wanted to either go caching with me or a date. I guess either would suffice. Ok, let's straighten this out . . . my alias is Geo Ho. NOT because I'm a HO 'ho, but a 'ho for Geocaching. I didn't realize that the Geocaching website had the potential to be a dating service! Who woulda thunk it? Anyhoo, happy caching!

and happy ho'ing to you! :o

The success story continues . . . together 10 months and happy happy happy . . .

I'm the luckiest 'ho . . . er . . . uhm . . . I mean GIRL in the world! :D

82307490-45b2-4cf5-9cbf-de029f20b2ce.jpg

Ain't love grand?

0eae9a3e-4f59-4213-b3a2-cce3b0905094.jpg

Happy caching and stuff! Afterall, that what it's about right? Oh! That and the numbers . . . it's all about the numbers. :P

:huh: Glad to read a happy story - it was a hoot to read all 4 pages. In my area, David&Diana cached while dating and then cached on their honeymoon.

Otherwise there seems to be mostly MM caching solo or young families - nothing wrong with that, lol, but what's a single gal to do (guess it didn't help that for the first 800 my nickname made me sound like the 3 drawf that no one admitted existed) ..... :lol:

In my caching experience - I've met probably a dozen other cachers at non-event caches/non-group hunt fellow cachers.......guess that works out to about 1 cacher per 100 caches.

Congratulations to all the geocaching couples! I'll add our story here. Mary and I didn't meet through geocaching, but on our second date we went geocaching together for about 7 hours and she brought along a gourmet picnic lunch. I knew by the end of the day that I had found a very special woman. That was in March of 2003. We got engaged one year later near this geocache in Italy and we're getting married in March of 2005. :rolleyes:

1821153_300.jpg

Edited by IowaAdmin

Caching seems to be getting around....

I went to a dance the other night at the suggestion of some friends who were going to be there...from out of town and whom I'd not seen in a year and a half. At the end of the dance one of them introduced me to a lady I'd not met, but whom I had been wanting to meet. Ok, maybe I'm a little cautious about that. Anyway, we talked for a while, and I ended up getting her number. The next day, I called her (to make sure the number was real) and she asked me if my license plate said something like "GPS HUNTER" or something...(it actually reads "GPS HUNT." I said it did and she told me about a guy she'd once met who took her geocaching but that he didn't really seem to know much about what he was doing. She asked me if I had ever done that and I told her "yeah, a time or two." (I have 588 finds, 25 hides) and asked her what she thought of it. She said it was pretty fun, although he seemed to get rather frustrated when they couldn't find it. Imagine! Anyway, I told her I had been doing it since not long after the whole thing started, and might be a little more experienced. Not sure if this is the start of one of these wonderful geo-romancing success stories some of you have shared, but maybe I can get a little of that karma you all seem to have found. At least I don't have to worry about selling it to her.

bd

Caching seems to be getting around....

I went to a dance the other night at the suggestion of some friends who were going to be there...from out of town and whom I'd not seen in a year and a half.  At the end of the dance one of them introduced me to a lady I'd not met, but whom I had been wanting to meet.  Ok, maybe I'm a little cautious about that.  Anyway, we talked for a while, and I ended up getting her number.  The next day, I called her (to make sure the number was real) and she asked me if my license plate said something like "GPS HUNTER" or something...(it actually reads "GPS HUNT."  I said it did and she told me about a guy she'd once met who took her geocaching but that he didn't really seem to know much about what he was doing.  She asked me if I had ever done that and I told her "yeah, a time or two." (I have 588 finds, 25 hides) and asked her what she thought of it.  She said it was pretty fun, although he seemed to get rather frustrated when they couldn't find it.  Imagine!  Anyway, I told her I had been doing it since not long after the whole thing started, and might be a little more experienced.  Not sure if this is the start of one of these wonderful geo-romancing success stories some of you have shared,  but maybe I can get a little of that karma you all seem to have found.  At least I don't have to worry about selling it to her.

bd

Any developments with this potential love story? Be sure to take her to an active cache. If you get her out in the woods and can't find it, she might start to question the motives of the men she's meeting. :)