Geocaching as an online dating service??

Geo Ho

Congrats to all those success stories!!

I started caching almost a year ago, and was introduced to it by my boyfriend at the time. I really enjoyed many of the activities that we took part in together, but caching was by far my favorite! We broke up months ago, and I have to say...I don't miss him much in the dating sense, but do regret losing my main caching partner. Like others have said, it really works well in a relationship when the other person enjoys the things you do.

I have dated a little, and I am pretty open-minded about a lot of potential qualities in a person. At the same time, I am pretty selective about a few specifics, so I limit myself in that respect. (One of those specifics is that I want someone who at least enjoys the outdoors to an extent. Another is to give and take when it comes to the other person's friends and hobbies. It amazes me that so many men I meet only want me to do what they like, but never try something new.)

I love new adventures, new experiences! It is one of many appeals to caching...so many doors yet unopened!!

I would LOVE to date someone again who "gets it" and who thinks that a spontaneous caching run is a great way to spend time together. Or to meet someone who wants to know what it is all about, and gets turned onto it like I was.

I would even at this point like to find more caching partners in my area. Maybe there is someone lurking in Houston that wants to help me cache in those places I won't go solo.

Until then, I cache alone... smiling all the way! :rolleyes:

. . .  I think a lot of men want to meet a woman who isn't afraid to get a little dirty . . .

THAT, my friends, is what is wrong with most men . . . they want to meet naughty bad-girls. Why do you think Mopar was initially interested in me? He thought I was a 'ho . . . :anibad:

:anicute: Now he knows the truth :unsure:

Happy caching and stuff! :yikes:

It's not a problem at all.

I never dated prissy girly-girls. A woman can be feminine without being prissy.

I expect women to get dirty, and to kill their own dadgum spiders :blink:

Nothing's worse than camping with a woman who goes ballistic every time something natural touches her... ack the spider! ack the mouse! ack the snake! ack mud!

I have actually met a few men who are surprised when I LAUGH at the fact that I have gotten dirty...and keep on going!

As for being "dirty" - well...Mopar had to get to know Geo Ho to know whether she was the kind of girl he thought she was. I personally love the origin of her name, as intended to be a geocaching reference.

Any man who wants to know about whether I like being "dirty" will just have to find out for himself!

Prissy girl - NOT by a long shot! I am NEVER going to be considered high-maintenance, but still love being a woman and showing my feminine side.

Then again, getting dirty and in touch with nature is so much fun...you SHOULD expect me to get dirty sometimes, often looking at those natural things. I have often held snakes and other creatures, so long as they are not poisonous. (Not too crazy about the spiders, though...but I am not likely to be screaming because of them.)

I was just thinking about all the caching couples I know, and specifically about the qualities many of the women share...and ways they are different too. THAT would be an interesting thread all its own...

:rolleyes:

Edited by Lost in it all...

Congratulations! This has been an interesting thread to read. I'm glad that things are working out for everyone.

I met my husband almost 5 years ago on the internet. We talked email, then phone then met to eat a couple of times. We are into Nascar and had a nascar theme wedding and went to Michigan races for our honeymoon. :-)

HAD we known about geocaching I think we'd have hidden a couple caches at the wedding reception, sent coordinates instead of an address for the actual wedding and reception. LOL We would've driven to Michigan so we could cache all the way there and back home. Probably would've missed the race. ;-)

Thanks everyone for sharing the cool stories and updates.

The J half of this group

Hey Lost in it all, I broke up with the guy who introduced me to caching too.....and now I have more finds than he does!

I've made lots of good friends through caching. For years I could never find anyone to go hiking with--that's not a problem now! :mad: I like to go to event caches. Truly, most of the cachers out there ARE married. Still, I meet lots of wonderful people that I have something in common with.

I don't hang out on the big Groundspeak forums much.....too big and overwhelming. I pretty much stick to the Oregon forums. But this particular thread has been a hoot! :blink: I'll continue to lurk and follow, and cache and hope to meet a lifelong caching partner. :huh: Or not.

Is there a thread for posting our personal classifieds?

Hi Floydette! Rouses Point is pretty cool (cept for the 2 weeks in July when the ice is out on Lake Champlain). To keep the thread related to GPS/Mapping, I'm sure you've driven on 276. You can see 3 or 4 benchmarks and drive literally 20 feet from Quebec for a 1/4 mile or so. No fence or anything just the bench mark 20 feet from the road.

I may be in the area of Lake George. The Saturday Night Special band will be in Troy and I may photograph the show for a friend who has a magazine called Gritz. Artimus Pyle who was with the original Skynyrd is in it along with a couple of the backup singers. I'm not sure if I can get the night off though...

Just in case it'll do any good!

39 yo divorced guy. Not a model, but no slouch either. Eagle Scout, former Scoutmaster and sports coach. Live with roommates, 4 kids who visit on weekends. Enjoys ANYTHING outdoors. Seeking available women in SW Missouri with similar interests, that hopefully will include me after a short period. Any even remotely interested please reply!!! :blink:

This thread reminds me of one of my favorite local geocaches and geocacher stories;

Mon Cheri Wedding Cache (GCGC4J) and its accompanying Bride and Groom TBs, placed by cachers with a great sense of adventure!

Not geocaching related (it didn't exist then), but as a single father of three boys and a business owner I had few chances to date. I ran an ad in the Heartlines dating section of the Birmingham News, met 42 women, with my wife of over ten years now being the 42nd!

We have a number of single male and female cachers in the AGA, y'all come to our events! You never know!

Ed

Anyone who has taken children on a trip in a car can appreciate this....

My girlfriend and I have taken her kids on at least two trips of three hours driving or more since we started dating...not once has the time passed without a great deal of stress, as the three kids sit across the back seat and touch, kick, breathe on, look at, be near, NOT look at, and otherwise annoy the hell out of each other pretty much the entire time. Mom is at her wit's end...and I sit there with my XM radio cranked up as loud as it will go, headphones jammed in all the way to my brain stem......

enter: geocaching

Took them on what was going to be a quick cache hunt a couple weeks ago...no one wanted to go, guess it sounded boring...so i bribed them with a SoBe beverage if they went and behaved, and off we went. First cache was a micro, hidden in an electrical switch box and affixed to the side of a building on the college campus...the kids LOVED it....next question: "Can we do ANOTHER one?" "ok" Ten caches later, kids are exhausted, can hardly keep up anymore, and no one has eaten or peed in 4 hours, and no complaints. Kids sit in the back seat between cache hunts playing with whatever piece of swag they traded for in the last cache, then trade it for another one when/if they get bored with that one. Kids take turns navigating to each cache, and handle the rotation on their own. I enjoy pointing out birds and scenery, mom enjoys the kids not fighting for a change. Mom thinks I am a genius, we are planning trip to Disneyland...plotting caches every 50 miles or so...we just might make it without the headphones.

Geocaching: Not just for fun....sometimes it's a matter of life or death.

Anyone who has taken children on a trip in a car can appreciate this....

My girlfriend and I have taken her kids on at least two trips of three hours driving or more since we started dating...not once has the time passed without a great deal of stress, as the three kids sit across the back seat and touch, kick, breathe on, look at, be near, NOT look at, and otherwise annoy the hell out of each other pretty much the entire time. Mom is at her wit's end...and I sit there with my XM radio cranked up as loud as it will go, headphones jammed in all the way to my brain stem......

enter: geocaching

Took them on what was going to be a quick cache hunt a couple weeks ago...no one wanted to go, guess it sounded boring...so i bribed them with a SoBe beverage if they went and behaved, and off we went. First cache was a micro, hidden in an electrical switch box and affixed to the side of a building on the college campus...the kids LOVED it....next question: "Can we do ANOTHER one?" "ok" Ten caches later, kids are exhausted, can hardly keep up anymore, and no one has eaten or peed in 4 hours, and no complaints. Kids sit in the back seat between cache hunts playing with whatever piece of swag they traded for in the last cache, then trade it for another one when/if they get bored with that one. Kids take turns navigating to each cache, and handle the rotation on their own. I enjoy pointing out birds and scenery, mom enjoys the kids not fighting for a change. Mom thinks I am a genius, we are planning trip to Disneyland...plotting caches every 50 miles or so...we just might make it without the headphones.

Geocaching: Not just for fun....sometimes it's a matter of life or death.

This is the kind of stuff they need over in the "South Carolina" thread.

We have a number of single male and female cachers in the AGA, y'all come to our events! You never know!

I came all the way out there for an event, and I didn't see one single female cacher in attendance.

Wait.. I brought a date. Nevermind.

I still say there weren't any single female cachers there.

Jamie

It finally happened . . . Mopar popped the question at this event..

I know, I know . . . the wedding is planned and only a few short months away but there was never a formal proposal. It was sweet and romantic . . . just like my Mopar! :)

891bfb89-3249-4b61-a452-48343bedf7bc.jpg

He Proposed!!

8eb87e6a-f24e-481d-a0e3-303cb7f744d1.jpg

She Accepted!! (of course :blink: )

f056c5b4-95c8-486d-a057-76cf9a513e5d.jpg

The Ring (this picture does NOT do it justice)

Happy caching and stuff! ;)

Edited by Geo Ho
Alabama and Tennessee have their first geo-engagement, with Silver Dragon and Hammerjane meeting at an event last year and recently announcing their engagement and upcoming wedding!

Man I could not be MORE jealous!

Even after what I thought was an experience that would almost certainly cement geocaching into favorable light in the heart and mind of my significant other, spring reared it's lovely head and once again, I became "bunkerdave: lord of the geocache"...and...off I went. Thus began the unraveling of yet another inevitably doomed relationship. (Whew, that was close!)

I have therefore determined that in order for anything to work, we much have caching in common. I therefore, henceforth will date only ladies who own their own GPS and know how to use it, preferably for finding geocaches, rather than as a spiteful projectile. (This does not preclude them from BUYing their own to appease me and prevent the unappealing circumstance of me eating my words.)

In any case...congrats to the happy couple!

spring reared it's lovely head and once again, I became "bunkerdave: lord of the geocache"...and...off I went.  Thus began the unraveling of yet another inevitably doomed relationship.

Do they tell specifically state that geocaching is the reason for "off they go..."? It's hard for me to believe that people wouldn't like to do this once it's been introduced to them.

---I thought about this a little and realized that not too many people I know really like to geocache either. Too bad.

Edited by Maliberry

Do they tell specifically state that geocaching is the reason for "off they go..."? It's hard for me to believe that people wouldn't like to do this once it's been introduced to them.

---I thought about this a little and realized that not too many people I know really like to geocache either. Too bad.

You have a point...but then...when was the last time ANYONE actually gave the REAL reason they were breaking up witih someone? :P

I know lots of people who think caching is cool...for 4 or 5 a day. I think it's when i push the envelope past 15 caches in a day that most of them get a little glazed.

[ I became "bunkerdave: lord of the geocache"...and...off I went. Thus began the unraveling of yet another inevitably doomed relationship. (Whew, that was close!)

Hey Bunkerdave.......I'd go caching with you if we were geographically closer.....I've been wanting to get out there but am reluctant to strike out alone. Maybe you can advise me on which GPS I should buy?

Thanks,

Dee

[  I became "bunkerdave: lord of the geocache"...and...off I went.  Thus began the unraveling of yet another inevitably doomed relationship.  (Whew, that was close!)

Hey Bunkerdave.......I'd go caching with you if we were geographically closer.....I've been wanting to get out there but am reluctant to strike out alone. Maybe you can advise me on which GPS I should buy?

Thanks,

Dee

200796_200.jpg

Ha! I know what cache that is!

This is going to have to be the final update to the saga of GeoHo and Mopar using Geocaching.com as a dating service. . .

Today is the two year anniversary of the day we met and I am as happy in my relationship now as when we first met!

But better news than that . . . we got married on this past Saturday (9/24/05) in the place where we met in the way that we met . . . A geocaching event (see GCM0H0)

It was a wonderful day . . . truly amazing . . . the weather was spectacular and the ceremony was incredible . . . a very very special day to be sure . . . though the Cybret (the minister) made me promise to maintain my cache and I am already paying for it! :lol:

Anyhoo . . . I think Mopar and I qualify as a Geocaching Dating Success Story . . . I'm the luckiest girl in the world!!!

834b99b5-7860-4935-84e8-ab76570e02f3.jpg

8059b579-4a11-48d5-b1c1-ae6b1acd17d7.jpg

01702a86-a499-4d1b-8c80-2c65885a6892.jpg

Happy caching and stuff!

Mrs. Mopar

Two geocachers in the SF Bay area had the first geo-baby that I know of today.

Walruz and BuckyDef met at a BADGES (Bay Area Dining and Geocaching Enthusiasts Society) event last fall and announced their engagment at the next one. They had an 8lb ? oz baby girl.

Just finished reading this thread, and enjoyed every bit of it! Congrats Mr & Mrs Mopar. Loved all the pix, you do look like a happy couple! And grats to all the other happy couples mentioned thru this thread!

My daughter introduced me to caching when she was visiting last Nov., and I was hooked! Unfortunately, I can't seem to get anyone interested in going with me here. The closest I've come to running into another cacher was when I watched a truck cruise by reeeeeal slow and watch when I parked near a micro. Found out later they had been there just ahead of me. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, friends and co-workers get that glazed-eye look after 10 minutes of listening to me enthuse about my adventures. They just don't understand! I'm seriously thinking about borrowing a friend's dog, just so I don't look so conspicuous out there! :ph34r: It would be great to find someone to cache with, and the MiGO winter social would be ideal place to hook up with nearby cachers for some team efforts; however, I'm going to miss it because I will be in Colorado then visiting (and caching with) my kids. Hey Colorado Cacher, might just run into you out there!

Mizdeeds :huh:

I have never posted before, but this thread caught my interest because I would have probably never dated my current boyfriend if he hadn't been a geocacher. We met online and exchange e-mails and he would comment on going geocaching or how his dog loved geocaching. Now, being a total muggle I had no idea what he was talking about. Initially I thought maybe it was something like frisbee golf :huh: . One day curiousity got the better of me so I did an internet search on geocaching and learned about it. Shortly there after we had our first phone conversation and it just really didn't seem to click; different people at different stages in our lives. I sent him an e-mail and told him that I didn't think it was going to work out to date, but geocaching sounded interesting and if he were willing I would like him to take my son and I geocaching. Ended up that I couldn't wait for that to happen and I bought my own GPSr and found 3 or 4 caches and put out a cache of my own before I met him. I have been hooked ever since (on geocaching and him). I set up my first cache with a note in for him that had coordinates for his own personal multi-cache, with the last coordinates being where he met me. Our first date, geocaching with my 9 year old son on a fairly chilly day with a bit of snow cover. Our most recent date (Valentines Day) - geocaching of course! If someone would have told me 4 months ago that I would buy a GPSr and use it to go out hiking in the woods, swamps, parks and cities of WI in the middle of the winter I would have told them they were crazy!!! I really would have told them they were crazy if they told me I would be doing this on Valentines Day and having a blast. I really have been having a great time! I did get a nice necklace for Valentines Day and he said "If you don't like it, you can throw it in a cache." I replied "Well, you will know you are in trouble if you read my one of my logs and see that I did leave it in a cache." The idea for our first joint cache was born. Do you ever wonder what to do with all that stuff you have and no longer want after you break up with someone? This cache will be a spot to dump that junk from your ex. An odd idea to come up with on Valentines Day, but we thought it was a pretty good one. Best of luck to all of you out there searching. If you look at my logs and I am caching out stuff that this guy gave me you can drop me a line because I know from now on I will only date geocachers :( .