GPS embedded snapshot cameras, versus geotagging using tracks from handlheld GPS unit?

I was thinking about getting a snapshot camera with an embedded GPS inside of it, to geotag photos so I can know where I took my photos at. Right now, I use BaseCamp with the GPS tracks from my Garmin Oregon 450, to find coordinates for my pictures. I was wondering what tends to work better?

The drawback with geotagging photos using my GPS unit tracks, I have to make sure I tell it to adjust the time by negative 20 seconds (or whatever the difference happens to be at the time of snapping a photo), so that the camera's time stamps can be synced with the GPS. In addition, if I happen to clear the GPS track log before I have the chance to geotagg a photo, that's an obvious problem. I also have my tracks set to record every 100th of a mile, so I don't know if that would throw off the accuracy of a photo?

On the other hand, since most people don't leave their digital cameras on the entire time when on a hike, I would be worried if it takes a while for a GPS embedded snapshot camera to get a good enough fix on satellites to get a decent geotagg location for its pictures?

What's better? Which tends to be more accurate?

The drawback with geotagging photos using my GPS unit tracks, I have to make sure I tell it to adjust the time by negative 20 seconds (or whatever the difference happens to be at the time of snapping a photo), so that the camera's time stamps can be synced with the GPS

Why is there a time difference? Do you sync the camera clock to the gps at the beginning of the day? I tend to forget, which is why I don't geo-locate pics to tracklogs as much as I might.

What's better? Which tends to be more accurate?

I expect the answer to the question depends upon the stuff you're using (which camera, what software).

I use ExpertGPS and a digital camera, synced to the gps clock; this works fine, is quite accurate.

And I use a camera with built in gps (this was my husband's purchase, i wouldn't have spent the money, but i do like that it's sturdy). That is accurate and works more effortlessly; but it's all over the place on how fast it gets a fix. It has surprised me at times under heavy tree cover by being PDQ, but I've given up on it at other times when it just could not get a fix.

If geo-locating pics is important to me, I sync my regular camera to the gps clock at the start of the day.

Camera is a Nikon coolpix AW100 waterproof, shockproof with gps. I assume water and shock "proof" means some capacity to resist water and to surive being dropped.

I carry the coolpix with gps more for its relatively small size and sturdiness than for its ability to geo-locate pics. This is especially true if I'm heading out to do what may or will be wet hikes (swamps, wading water crossing).

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I use ExpertGPS and a digital camera, synced to the gps clock; this works fine, is quite accurate.

And I use a camera with built in gps (this was my husband's purchase, i wouldn't have spent the money, but i do like that it's sturdy). That is accurate and works more effortlessly; but it's all over the place on how fast it gets a fix. It has surprised me at times under heavy tree cover by being PDQ, but I've given up on it at other times when it just could not get a fix.

If geo-locating pics is important to me, I sync my regular camera to the gps clock at the start of the day.

Camera is a Nikon coolpix AW100 waterproof, shockproof with gps. I assume water and shock "proof" means some capacity to resist water and to survive being dropped.

I carry the coolpix with gps more for its relatively small size and sturdiness than for its ability to geo-locate pics. This is especially true if I'm heading out to do what may or will be wet hikes (swamps, wading water crossing).

I have the same camera. You can get a lock much faster if you download the AGPS file and update the camera before setting out. The AGPS file is just a record of the satellite position at a certain time so the camera's GPSr doesn't need to spend a large amount of time searching for them. The file, and instructions on how to install it can be found here http://nikonimglib.com/agps/index.html.en

I have never tried syncing a camera to a tracklog, so I can't tell you the benefits of one over the other, but I do like, and often use, the geotagging ability of the camera. As for sturdiness, the camera is suppose to be able to withstand depths of 18 meters, drops of 2 meters, and temperature -10 degrees Celsius. About the only thing I tested was temperature ( around -7 degrees celsius).

Why has no one mentioned the cameras on the Oregon 550 (3.2mp) and the Montana 650(5 mp)? Don't have to worry about carrying a separate piece of equipment or waiting on syncing.

I have both and never have to worry about time sync(automatically done internally). Not only does it geotag where the pic was taken (on the trail,hwy,in the flight,etc)it also shows which direction the camera was pointing when you took the pic.

Pics are not "enlargeable portrait quality" but they are definitely above most "snapshot" quality cameras pics.(VERY acceptable) Even a high percentage of pics made with High $$$ cameras by "super camera buffs" and professionals aren't top quality either.

I would much rather thoroughly enjoy a "less than absolutely perfect" pic (a memory) than fret over one that I don't have because I didn't have the "right" camera with me or because I screwed up the syncing.

I make maps of hikes to send to friends. The maps have small "pic" icons that show where a pic was taken on the trail and which direction the pic was taken. I send the pics separately (after reducing them to 480X640 for e-mailing). Friends and family get to enjoy the same hike I did. AND....if one of them wants to bring their Super Dooper High Dollar camera to take a "professional quality" pic of the same place, I can navigate back to the exact pic location with my GPS.

(I'll try this again. First time somehow vanished in the bit mists.)

About 3 weeks ago I obtained a Canon EOS 6D, full-frame camera with GPS and Wi-Fi. As I'm a hiker who loves to take pictures, often to the point of distraction from geocaching, I'm very keen on having good pictures and not having to geo-tag by separate GPSr or scribble in a notebook. GPS and Wi-Fi can be switched on/off via menus.

For years I was shy about buying a digital camera with built in GPS as battery life was horrible. It doesn't seem to be too degrading on the battery the 6D runs off (video, however goes throught the current pretty quick.)

The upcoming Oregon 6xx units geotag, as I expect the 550/550t do as well, though I haven't been impressed with the quality of their images.

I have a Casio Exlim-H20G. The GPS function on it works quite well although the built-in base map and POI data base is VERY basic. The Casio even does a crude form of projecting your position when indoors or when you lose satellite signal. The geotagging function of the Casio is as good as the Oregon 550 and of course it takes better pictures. For geocaching, I don't carry the Casio unless I know I am going to a scenic spot; I just use the Oregon for recording finds and other interesting things I might see. It's picture quality is usually "good enough" unless a flash is needed. For other picture taking opportunities I don't always have the Oregon with me and/or am not actively tracking, so I like having the geotagging function on the Casio itself.

Edited by alandb

I have two geotagging systems, for my Nikon D800 DSLR. Because I care more about the image quality than the convenience.

Option One - which I rarely use is to plug a GPS into the data port on my D800. Why don't I use this? Two issues. One, if my GPS doesn't acquire properly it tends to put the pin where I was LAST using the Camera. That annoys me.

Option Two - I record tracks with my eTrex 30 and pull them into the "Map" tab in Lightroom. I tend to sync the camera time and the GPS time (obviously I change time on the camera) but if I screw that up Lightroom has a neat trick where you can calculate the offset by dragging one photo to the correct spot on the track, and it will recalculate the locations of all the other photos.

@ NP,

comments only, not criticism...

Nice camera! but where I sometimes hike I wouldn't want to take it. "4WD hiking",not actually "wheels" but both hands and both feet.

Option one- Why would the GPS not "acquire properly"? Wouldn't the track logged there, where you are geotagging to,(with option 2) be incorrect also?

Option 2- Doing it that way, does it display not only the location where the pic was taken but also the direction (camera to subject bearing)?

That is a neat feature for pics while flying as well as for multiple pics of rock (or other scenery) formations.

I use Expert GPS on my PC and it will geotag pics either from EXIF data or from timestamp of GPS trackpoints.

@ NP,

comments only, not criticism...

Nice camera! but where I sometimes hike I wouldn't want to take it. "4WD hiking",not actually "wheels" but both hands and both feet.

I'm well known for taking my DSLRs to places most people wouldn't. I've got carrying systems that let me hike on very challenging terrain, and it goes canoeing with me too. I tuck it away in my pack for rock scrambles though. My longest hike with a DSLr and two lenses right now stands at 82km in the Algonquin backcountry. My point is, that's what I bought the camera for, and I subscribe to the Law of Inverse Appreciation. For quick point and shoot, I also have my iPhone (which also geotags).

Handy trick for long hikes - use two carabiners to connect the camera strap (at the point it meets the camera) to your backpack straps. Voila, no bouncy neck camera migraine. For my mid-length hikes (5-35km, daypack) I use a BlackRapid strap system.

Option one- Why would the GPS not "acquire properly"? Wouldn't the track logged there, where you are geotagging to,(with option 2) be incorrect also?

The issue isn't the GPS acquiring as much as acquiring in time. For a landscape it's not a big deal to cold acquire and hang out for 5 minutes. For wildlife though it's power on shoot and the GPS just can't warm up as fast as the camera can. The camera is also not very good at communicating when it has a good lock that well. I get a [GPS] symbol that is on, flashes or off. On my backcountry hikes I have precious camera battery to preserve so I don't run the GPS on the camera full time. Besides, the eTrex is recording anyway.

Option 2- Doing it that way, does it display not only the location where the pic was taken but also the direction (camera to subject bearing)?

That is a neat feature for pics while flying as well as for multiple pics of rock (or other scenery) formations.

I use Expert GPS on my PC and it will geotag pics either from EXIF data or from timestamp of GPS trackpoints.

I have never checked if the GPX is recording compass direction. I would expect that it does not record heading changes when I am standing still. Unless I strap the eTrex to the top of the camera (unlikely as it would be in my way) it can't record what direction the camera is facing anyway.

I didn't actually go out and choose Lightroom first. I used a few tools (note: I have a Mac not a PC so different tools). When Lightroom added geotagging (a response to Aperture adding it) I was already using Lightroom to process photos so it was easy to add that to my workflow. I found the auto-adjust time stamp setting when I failed to remember that the GPS would correct the time zone immediately when I flew to Alberta and I couldn't line up the track (beginning of track was in Ontario, on EDT, end of track was Alberta, MDT -2H). When I found that setting that let me drop a photo on my track it was as if angels were setting off fireworks in the back yard!

Image quality on the coolpix is darn good. I haven't spent any time fooling with settings, just point and click, outdoor landscape images. It's done well with some dawn and dusk light conditions.

Re satellite fix times - it's been both good and bad, on the same day along the same hike. I was surprised, under heavy tree cover for it be turned on and to get fix in an okay amount of time. Then less than an hour later in a more open location, it just couldn't seem to find sats. I finally gave up on it. This has happened twice. First fix, fast, then trouble later.

I have spent zero time reading its owner's manual or learning about it, there may be something to do that would help that issue. heck it may matter how you hold it (where the antenna is) ;-).

I haven't tried just leaving it on, I'm not that curious to learn what the battery use might be. Could be okay if you're just running the gps.

If your wanting a compact waterproof then go with the Nikon AW100, have been very pleased with mine. It has some of the best specs. for compact cameras to be used in extreme enviroments... underwater, dropping, cold, etc. Some advantages of it over some of the others not counting it's better specs. are the battery door locking mechanism and the 3" high resolution screen display.

I've had an Orgeon550 for 2 years now and while the camera is adequate, I seem to forget I always have a camera with me. On holidays I now carry the O550 and a Canon digital. If I want to make sure of the location I use the O550 and then use the Canon for better shots (I usually take 2 or 3 snaps per scene). Where the gps camera really shines though is in adverse conditions. This scene was taken at about -2f outdoors while walking the dog. Generally one doesn't carry a camera in these temperatures but I always carry my O550. Did I mention it's also able to survive a dunk in the water too...

Another really useful feature we have used to great advantage is to geotag GoogleEarth pictures of cities you are going to visit then download them to an Oregon (or similar). The ability to GOTO the picture location is a real plus. To geotag those photos I use a program called GeoSetter which another forum member recommended - easy to use.

2012_winterwing.jpg

I have the Sony G Cybershot 18.2 mega pixels which takes great pictures and has the GPS tag..along with my Garmin Oregon 550 which takes great pictures as well. I will use the 55 if I want to grab a quick shot of something I might think is a benchmark and the Sony if I want to get great pictures in a area or I if I just don't have my GPS with me and I want to see the cords for future caching.