Garmin Monterra

Thanks for the answers to my previous questions. I have another basic question. How do I download a lot of cache information to the Monterra? I have had the Monterra a week and have not been able to figure that out.

The manual just says to log into the Opencaching.com web site and follow the directions. Even though I never use that web site, I tried it just now to see what happened. No caches show when I use my zip code. I used another location and it showed 5 caches. Clicking 'download' caches did not seem to work at first. I did not see the caches or the downloaded files on the Monterra. After I unplugged the USB cable from the computer, the caches showed up.

I can manually download one cache at a time from the Geocaching.com web site. I do that by pulling up the cache page and using 'send to GPS', when the Monterra is connected to my desktop.

I have been using an Etrex Venture CX and a NUVI 1390 for cache hunting. With those it is easy to download a batch of caches. I run a pocket query, download the file to my desk top, open it with GSAK and connect the GPSr to the computer with a USB cable. To download to the Etrex, I simply select 'GPS' tnen 'send waypoints'. For the NUVI I use a MACRO I found on the GSAK forum. The one I still use is garmin-nuvi-exportgpx.gsk. I get a warning that a command is no longer supported but the macro still works.

I tried using 'send waypoints' to download a file from GSAK to the Monterra. Because the Monterra is too new to be listed, I selected "garmin" "generic GPX". I got a message that said the device has to be set in 'mass storage mode." I do not know if that can be done with the Monterra.

Is there a MACRO I can install in GSAK and use to download a large file of caches to the Monterra?

If I am away from home and at 'hot spot', how can I down load more than one cache at a time? (Last week I figured out how to use Chrome to log into geocaching.com using a WiFi connection and was able to download a few caches one at a time.)

I installed the c:geo app last week but have not tried to do anything with it (I was visiting family and did not want to take the time to play with c:geo).

Seems to me that Garmin could easily create a "Field Mode" that disables all unassociated apps not in use and the various wireless functions. I can't tell you how many times I've been out and have forgotten to turn off Wi-fi, Bluetooth, or had an app running in the background that I was unaware of... until it was too late. There's enough to think about already when setting your GPS up to do what you want it to on a particular outing. Checking the various functions of Android isn't a task I necessarily want to tack on. Just seems like that task could be consolidated. Perhaps when more people complain about battery life never living up to the advertised specs (16 hours on Li-ion battery, 22 hours on rechargeable AA's) Garmin might at least consider it.

Edited by yogazoo

Seems to me that Garmin could easily create a "Field Mode" that disables all unassociated apps not in use and the various wireless functions. I can't tell you how many times I've been out and have forgotten to turn off Wi-fi, Bluetooth, or had an app running in the background that I was unaware of... until it was too late. There's enough to think about already when setting your GPS up to do what you want it to on a particular outing. Checking the various functions of Android isn't a task I necessarily want to tack on. Just seems like that task could be consolidated. Perhaps when more people complain about battery life never living up to the advertised specs (16 hours on Li-ion battery, 22 hours on rechargeable AA's) Garmin might at least consider it.

Early in the Beta cycle I suggested that exact feature. I'd found mine completely dead on a number of occasions, having been used to using the Montana which goes a long time on its battery. Maybe Garmin's still working on it, but it can't hurt to have more people ask for the feature. Even a profile with those settings would be enough.

And I do wish the Monterra had shortcuts as on the Montana.

Early in the Beta cycle I suggested that exact feature. I'd found mine completely dead on a number of occasions, having been used to using the Montana which goes a long time on its battery. Maybe Garmin's still working on it, but it can't hurt to have more people ask for the feature. Even a profile with those settings would be enough.

And I do wish the Monterra had shortcuts as on the Montana.

Uh....if you can't remember to put the Monterra in Airplane mode what good will a shortcut or "FieldMode" be? :D

Thanks for the answers to my previous questions. I have another basic question. How do I download a lot of cache information to the Monterra? I have had the Monterra a week and have not been able to figure that out.

The manual just says to log into the Opencaching.com web site and follow the directions. Even though I never use that web site, I tried it just now to see what happened. No caches show when I use my zip code. I used another location and it showed 5 caches. Clicking 'download' caches did not seem to work at first. I did not see the caches or the downloaded files on the Monterra. After I unplugged the USB cable from the computer, the caches showed up.

I can manually download one cache at a time from the Geocaching.com web site. I do that by pulling up the cache page and using 'send to GPS', when the Monterra is connected to my desktop.

I have been using an Etrex Venture CX and a NUVI 1390 for cache hunting. With those it is easy to download a batch of caches. I run a pocket query, download the file to my desk top, open it with GSAK and connect the GPSr to the computer with a USB cable. To download to the Etrex, I simply select 'GPS' tnen 'send waypoints'. For the NUVI I use a MACRO I found on the GSAK forum. The one I still use is garmin-nuvi-exportgpx.gsk. I get a warning that a command is no longer supported but the macro still works.

I tried using 'send waypoints' to download a file from GSAK to the Monterra. Because the Monterra is too new to be listed, I selected "garmin" "generic GPX". I got a message that said the device has to be set in 'mass storage mode." I do not know if that can be done with the Monterra.

Is there a MACRO I can install in GSAK and use to download a large file of caches to the Monterra?

If I am away from home and at 'hot spot', how can I down load more than one cache at a time? (Last week I figured out how to use Chrome to log into geocaching.com using a WiFi connection and was able to download a few caches one at a time.)

I installed the c:geo app last week but have not tried to do anything with it (I was visiting family and did not want to take the time to play with c:geo).

I don't use GSAK but I do use c:geo and it works very well on the Monterra. I download the caches in an area I'm going to be traveling through. I then Export them as a GPX file to my /Garmin/GPX folder. Then I Force Stop GOA which forces GOA to search for GPX files. Works well for me. Because the caches stay in the GPX file, once I finish with them I can bring them back into c:ego and upload them at the next Wi-Fi opportunity.

Uh....if you can't remember to put the Monterra in Airplane mode what good will a shortcut or "FieldMode" be? :D

I know, seems obvious doesn't it. But airplane mode messes with some Android phone's GPS function, including my Motorola, so placing the Monterra into Airplane Mode wasn't my immediate thought. The GPS on the Monterra remains active in Airplane mode of course. Airplane mode disables wireless functions but some non Garmin, non system apps will keep running in spite of it. What I think Dr. Jeckyl was referring to and certainly myself, is a bare-bones, operating system and Garmin Outdoor app ONLY mode which leaves nothing running in the background save widgets that are used on home screens. And before you Android nerds start spouting how that's not possible or feesable I'm not professing to be an Android expert but there's gotta be something that would help the Monterra achieve 16 hours

Fortunately there are several power saving apps that allow you to customize what can run and what can't during Airplane Mode. I'm going to mess around and try them and see how close to advertised battery life I can get. If anyone knows of a good battery life app please share.

Fortunately there are several power saving apps that allow you to customize what can run and what can't during Airplane Mode. I'm going to mess around and try them and see how close to advertised battery life I can get. If anyone knows of a good battery life app please share.

I use JuiceDefender, unforunately there's not much for JuiceDefender to shut off besides WiFi and Bluetooth. There's not even a simple light sensor that can be used to adjust the screen brightness. I guess a UV-sensor is more important :blink:

Another solution is to use NFC-tags, one tag to turn on WiFi, FTP etc., and another to turn it off.

There is currently not a macro in GSAK to do this. The only way I've found to get my .gpx files to the GPX folder is to do a drag and drop.

Connect your Monterra to the computer. Open the Garmin folder and then the GPX folder.

Select your database in GSAK and then "export" as a GPX file to a location on your computer (I use my docments folder).

Drag the exported file to the GPX folder in your Monterra and then disconnect the USB. As DRTBYK has mentioned, the GOA will look for a GPX file and they should appear in your unit. If that doesn't work, cycle the power and they should appear that way as well.

Thomfre has mentioned an app that will allow the unit to be mounted as a removable drive but I haven't had the time to check it out yet.

I found an app called "Battery Doctor". A very customizable, nicely laid out app. So far my Monterra was on overnight for a total of 9 hours. 8 hours of sleep mode, 1 hour of use. I have 34% left on the battery. It might not take me to 16 hours but it's a definite improvement on 4 hours.

A selection of Geocache related bugs, problems and/or issues translated from the Norwegian Monterra Wiki by thomfre:

- The default list of geocaches shows all caches, including the found once.

- Found geocaches are not marked as found in the list. The only indication of a found cache is that it is shown on the map as an open chest.

- When a geocache are tagged as found, it is still shown as the nearest geocache on the Geocache Dashboard.

- The Geocache Dashboard does not update with the nearest geocache when on the move.

- When navigating to a cache which is not the nearest one, the dashboard still shows the nearest cache.

- The map zoom level is not stored when going out of the map page and back again. It defaults to 300 meters.

- When navigating to a cache, it is not possible, as it is on the Montana, to push the dashboard to access the geocache description, hint and logs. One will have to select the geocache from the list again to gain such access.

- Logs from GSAK in HTML are "unreadable" since the HTML codes are shown.

- Only a few lines of the geocache description are shown

- The compass does not show the right direction

- Some names on the maps are shown upside down.

- The Garmin App does not work with other languages than english

- When loading a GPX file with more than e.g 1000 geocaches, the list of all geocaches are slow and imprecise.

- When navigating to a cache, the bearing line is fixed to the point where the navigation starts.

Sorry I scanned over this one and meant to comment: If you leave the Map by using the HOME button when you return the map will be at the zoom level you left it. If you use the Return button to leave the Map (any App) you are returning the App to default state.

There is currently not a macro in GSAK to do this. The only way I've found to get my .gpx files to the GPX folder is to do a drag and drop.

Connect your Monterra to the computer. Open the Garmin folder and then the GPX folder.

Select your database in GSAK and then "export" as a GPX file to a location on your computer (I use my docments folder).

Drag the exported file to the GPX folder in your Monterra and then disconnect the USB. As DRTBYK has mentioned, the GOA will look for a GPX file and they should appear in your unit. If that doesn't work, cycle the power and they should appear that way as well.

Thomfre has mentioned an app that will allow the unit to be mounted as a removable drive but I haven't had the time to check it out yet.

As Thomfre noted, you can use an "FTP Server" App on the Monterra and a FTP Client on your Computer (I use a plugin in FireFox) to transfer files back and forth via Wi-Fi and never need to connect via USB. I rarely connect with USB; only when I need to do a BirdsEye download to BaseCamp.

Sorry I scanned over this one and meant to comment: If you leave the Map by using the HOME button when you return the map will be at the zoom level you left it. If you use the Return button to leave the Map (any App) you are returning the App to default state.

I would still call this a bug. This is only a partial workaround. If you navigate to a cache (which I often do :laughing:), it resets to 300 anyway (if I remember correctly). The app should be able to save the zoom level and restore on startup.

I would still call this a bug. This is only a partial workaround. If you navigate to a cache (which I often do :laughing:), it resets to 300 anyway (if I remember correctly). The app should be able to save the zoom level and restore on startup.

I understand you point - which I think is, the Map should not have a default state for Zoom? Or, better said, a setting for "remember zoom level".

Edited by DRTBYK
I understand you point - which I think is, the Map should not have a default state for Zoom? Or, better said, a setting for "remember zoom level".

Yes, it should just save the zoom level automatically each time you change it. That way it will behave just like the Montana, which remembers your last zoom level. But compared to a lot of the other issues, this is a small one! I've gone back to the Montana, since there's so many issues with the Monterra. I hope to see a new version being released soon. Until then, I have e very expensive paper weight...

Mass storage mode is off the table, according to Garmin support. Putting .gpx files on the unit entails an extra step or two but it still can be done.

I've installed a FTP-server on my Monterra, and I use NetDrive to assign it a drive letter in Windows. By using this approach, I'm able to transfer GPX-files from GSAK directly to the Monterra through WiFi.

I have a Monterra and on my work Windows machine it comes up as a drive and with my Mac i use a android.com program called "Android File Transfer" found at: http://www.android.com/filetransfer/

On GeoCaching.com the "Save to GPS" happens automatically and it sees the GPS and lets me save to it.

Ofcourse i'm USB tethered all the time.

Works well.in this view, then of course there are other things one would like to get fixed, for example i cannot use swedish as a language :P

-M

Edited by MrGadjet

I have a Monterra and on my work Windows machine it comes up as a drive and with my Mac i use a android.com program called "Android File Transfer" found at: http://www.android.com/filetransfer/

On GeoCaching.com the "Save to GPS" happens automatically and it sees the GPS and lets me save to it.

Ofcourse i'm USB tethered all the time.

Works well.in this view, then of course there are other things one would like to get fixed, for example i cannot use swedish as a language :P

-M

Yep, AFT works fine with the Mac but I haven't really found a need to USB connect my Monterra. I use FTP over Wi-Fi or Bluetooth transfer to my Mac or Windows OS.

Pretty bad when there isn't full International Language Support on a device these days. Garmin should be ashamed for releasing the Monterra in the shape it's in.

Edited by DRTBYK

-M

Well, I can say much sbout this device, but it works just as good (or bad) in english or swedish.

Is your device updated?

What exactly is not working in swedish that works in english?

-M

Well, I can say much sbout this device, but it works just as good (or bad) in english or swedish.

Is your device updated?

What exactly is not working in swedish that works in english?

There's a bug that crashes the Garmin Outdoor-app if you have selected any other language than English.

Garmin should be ashamed for releasing the Monterra in the shape it's in.

+1

The Monterra, despite it's future potential and my acceptance of it's current operational state, is absolutely the most sluggish mapping and navigational experience I've ever endured on an android device. Especially unacceptable since all the mapping data is already on the device and not streamed over Wi-fi or 3G like my phone. However both my phone and Oregon 650 are light years faster.

One experience, perhaps the most frustrating, is selecting a POI in any "Where To" category. Sometimes 10 seconds pass before the map screen comes up so you can hit the "Go To" button.

Another is that at certain zoom levels, the BirdsEye imagery looks terrible. Very blurry and basically worthless until you're zoomed in quite a bit despite my map detail level being set to "Most"

I hate to pile it on but geez man, some people are paying $700 for this.

Edited by yogazoo

Then it must be something wrong with your device, mine doesnt just crash and it is set to swedish.

Some operations make it not respond etc, but to my own testing and the feedback here and at advrider its the same on any language.

What is specific to Europe is that some things doesnt work with the Eu maps.

Mass storage mode is off the table, according to Garmin support. Putting .gpx files on the unit entails an extra step or two but it still can be done.

What about putting the Monterra in USB debugging mode under Developer Options?

This is not USB Mass Storage Mode.

Edited by DRTBYK

I suppose not, but it's easy to get gpx files on to the internal and external cards that way.

In other news, I've never seen better than 20 meter accuracy in clear and open sky on my new Monterra and it takes minutes to get a first position fix. My old Montana and even my Nexus 7 V2 can do 3 meter accuracy in 10 or 15 seconds, and even indoors with a couple of north/south facing windows near. That doesn't seem right.

In other news, I've never seen better than 20 meter accuracy in clear and open sky on my new Monterra and it takes minutes to get a first position fix. My old Montana and even my Nexus 7 V2 can do 3 meter accuracy in 10 or 15 seconds, and even indoors with a couple of north/south facing windows near. That doesn't seem right.

Sorry to hear. There must be something wrong with your Monterra. I get acquisition within seconds of completion of boot sequence and get accuracy on par with every other Garmin handheld I own. Tracklogs are pretty darn good too. Accuracy and acquisition time have never been an issue for me even with super early, immature software.

I'm curious as to what gauge your measuring your accuracy and if you've had the unit on the recommended 30 minutes in clear view of the sky to download the sat almanac.

Edited by yogazoo

I suppose not, but it's easy to get gpx files on to the internal and external cards that way.

I've not had any problems with mine either. I've used it side by side with the Montana and my phone and have had as good (and in two cases, both under tree cover) better accuracy.

Wow, that is quite unusual for the Monterra. Your production Monterra is the first I've heard of having an acquisition problem. Like yogazoo mentioned, make sure you at least once, give the Monterra time to download the almanac.

Wow, that is quite unusual for the Monterra. Your production Monterra is the first I've heard of having an acquisition problem. Like yogazoo mentioned, make sure you at least once, give the Monterra time to download the almanac.

My Monterra can take 20 minutes to acquire a fix if I get into the car with it and forget to turn on the gps before moving. I've had to give up trying, shut it off, and restart it on a couple of occasions. As long as I remember to turn on the gps before moving, it's quick to find a fix.

My Monterra can take 20 minutes to acquire a fix if I get into the car with it and forget to turn on the gps before moving. I've had to give up trying, shut it off, and restart it on a couple of occasions. As long as I remember to turn on the gps before moving, it's quick to find a fix.

Is the Monterra in a powered Mount when you start it?

Yes, a spare "Rugged Mount" I had kicking around.

Yes, a spare "Rugged Mount" I had kicking around.

A known BUG by Garmin...

With the unit turned OFF and mounted in a powered Rugged Mount, when it is Powered-ON the Garmin Outdoor App does not complete the GPS initialization even though there are more than sufficient observable Satellites. The unit has not moved since Power-OFF. Initialization can take as long as 30min unless you remove the unit from the Rugged Mount - then the GPS finish initialization and present a Satellite Lock condition.

A known BUG by Garmin...

With the unit turned OFF and mounted in a powered Rugged Mount, when it is Powered-ON the Garmin Outdoor App does not complete the GPS initialization even though there are more than sufficient observable Satellites. The unit has not moved since Power-OFF. Initialization can take as long as 30min unless you remove the unit from the Rugged Mount - then the GPS finish initialization and present a Satellite Lock condition.

Why am I always the last to know? ;)

This begs the question "is there a publicly accessible site that has known bugs listed in it?"

You are not last. I bought a rugged mount and have pogo pins on order so I can print more docks. I have not installed it yet so I have yet to see this bug.

I wonder what it is that the Monterra does not like about the dock?

Brian

This begs the question "is there a publicly accessible site that has known bugs listed in it?"

You are not last. I bought a rugged mount and have pogo pins on order so I can print more docks. I have not installed it yet so I have yet to see this bug.

Brian

Off topic but I had to ask: 'Print docks'? You have a 3D printer?

Brian

No site that I'm aware of but I think atlas cache was planning a wiki where I expect he will collect replicable bugs. There are several of us that have lists of "known" bugs.

The Monterra/Montana recognize the Powered Mount. This enables the setting of Profiles to be loaded when the unit is in a mount or not. I can't say what exactly the condition is that is keeping the Monterra from completing initialization of the GPS. But, simply removing the unit from the Mount clearing the power on/off popup and placing the unit back in the mount allows the unit to finish init.

If I were to speculate, the issue is most likely due to there being power at the voltage regulator and the Battery which is confusing the GOA Initialization code.

Edited by DRTBYK

Brian

For Monterra, the wiki, it grows as time goes by.

http://garminmonterra.wikispaces.com/

Except for the occasional bugs (already mentioned), I have found the accuracy to be pretty good. I was at 4 feet for one cache while my other two friends were 25 feet away in moderate fog and under some small tree cover. Of course, there's always room for error on my part, the hiders' parts and the other seekers' parts!

Nah.

I've been reporting the same bugs and just get tired after a while. I choose a few big ones that I encounter everyday, like my map spinning wildly because the compass is broke, and if they don't address the big ones I just send an email as a reminder.

If anyone is having issues please contact Garmin via email. Not sure if they have a MonterraBeta address setup yet but sending to the OregonBeta would probably get to the right place. Just make sure you put "Monterra" in the subject line.

The better we as a user community can report bugs, i.e. details and exact symptoms, the easier it will be for them to fix. Just when I get an urge to be frustrated, imagine how the Magellan user community must feel, or the Lowrance user community. Eh, we have it pretty good despite the heart-ache sometimes.

Edited by yogazoo

Monterra Outdoor Software

Version 1.16

16MB

Version 1.16

- Improved compass calibration process

- Improved address search

- Fixed issue with direct route line not updating with change in position

- Fixed issue with Sight 'N Go not locking onto proper position

- Fixed issue with Geocaching Application when in various languages

- Fixed issue with chirp pairing process

- Fixed issue with time data field in 24 hour time format

- Fixed issue with OTA update not showing a time greater than one hour

- Fixed issue where GPX files imported via Bluetooth could be added twice

- Fixed intermittent issue with importing GPX files via NFC

- Fixed intermittent issue with dashboards on device rotation

- Fixed intermittent issue where keyboard would appear on home screen after the (application is exited)