Garmin Monterra

More Monterra Specs:

CPU: Dual Core 1.5 GHZ

RAM: 1GB

When I interrogated the device I got slightly different results as I noted in the review:

"The CPU used on the Monterra is the TI OMAP 4460 2 core processor with a max clock speed of 1.2GHz. The GPU is a Imagination Technologies PowerVR SGX 540 and there is 663MB of RAM."

What method did you use to obtain your data?

Edited by DRTBYK

I FINALLY got my Monterra this afternoon. Was SO excited until I got it booted up. It has a dead pixel. I'm bummed. Have to go get a refund and then re-order a replacement. Hopefully it won't be as long of a wait.

I have a Montana 650 for sale if anyone's interested. Mint condition. PM me if you want info on it.

Edited by tj311

Mine looks good so far but haven't really gotten to use it yet other than to play around with it at home. Quick question for those few of you who do have one and also use GSAK. GSAK won't recognize the unit in order to "send waypoints" and I've posted there but haven't heard anything back yet. I exported the file as a .gpx and then dragged and dropped into the GPX folder and the caches are on there but wanted to see if anyone else was able to get GSAK to recognize the new unit.

More Monterra Specs:

When I interrogated the device I got slightly different results as I noted in the review:

"The CPU used on the Monterra is the TI OMAP 4460 2 core processor with a max clock speed of 1.2GHz. The GPU is a Imagination Technologies PowerVR SGX 540 and there is 663MB of RAM."

I'm using "CPU Identifier" app. The stock frequency on the TI OMAP 4460 2 core processor is 1.5 GHz with a max clock of 1.75GHz. Garmin has it clocked at safe 1.2 Ghz on the Monterra (probably for stability). The RAM is 1Gb DDR with 663 Mb usable (the rest is locked up for system processes).

Edited by yogazoo

More Monterra Specs:

I'm using "CPU Identifier" app. The stock frequency on the TI OMAP 4460 2 core processor is 1.5 GHz with a max clock of 1.75GHz. Garmin has it clocked at safe 1.2 Ghz on the Monterra (probably for stability). The RAM is 1Gb DDR with 663 Mb usable (the rest is locked up for system processes).

Yep, same one I use. :)

I've always been in the habit of noting operational perimeters rather than SOC Specs.

Mass storage mode is off the table, according to Garmin support. Putting .gpx files on the unit entails an extra step or two but it still can be done.

Initial thoughts after a cache maintenance run (NO actual geocaching, just navigating to a couple of coordinate sets). I haven't done any updates, not connected to Wi-Fi, or installed any apps, and am running software version 2.20_1.15, Firmware version 2.10, Android version 4.0.4, and Kernel version 3.0.21

The screen is beautiful, the map redraw is faster than the Montana and without reading the manual in-depth, the UI is pretty easy to deal with (although I have some familiarity with the Montana which gives me a leg up).

I didn't initially notice the unit having issues with the compass (as noted on another thread), but I entered some coordinates, saw where they were on the map and then put the unit down. I have the backlight set to go off and the unit to sleep rather quickly, but when I arrived and picked it up, the same problem was noted this time. I turned it off and then back on and all was fine. The arrow/needle pointed at where I was going with the first set of coordinates but the second set was probably at least 30-45 degrees off from where I knew I was going. I did NOT try to re-calibrate so I have no idea if I could or couldn't at this time.

Minor annoyances I noted in the short amount of time I was using it, all easily fixed and NOT problems to report to Garmin. The default setup in the Geocaching profile is to show the nearest cache on the home screen. This is easily fixed and once that was off the screen it made things less cluttered. The same thing happened on the default map screen as the dashboard was enabled. Another quick easy fix since all you need to push is the arrow to get it to "hide". I wasn't initally prompted on my selection of a geocache (wanted to see if it was similar to the Montana) on how to get there but once I chose "Prompt" it gave me the option to choose how to get to the cache. I was pleasantly surprised to hear the voice promptly upon selecting "automobile". I guess the Montana speaker stand for my car will now be used just to charge!

The Gizzmo Vest I bought for my Montana fits the Monterra but the camera hole is wrong and it's a VERY tight squeeze. Time to see if they have one for the Monterra. I haven't found out where to see the satellites (like on the other units from Garmin) I've acquired but I'm sure it's there. I like the possibilities with all the apps you can use on the unit and I hope to go after a couple of new Wherigos with the unit to see how it performs. Entering coordinates and modifying them is easier than it was on the Montana - just touch where you need to start and go from there.

Like previously mentioned in a separate thread, I sure hope the waypoint labels (even if it's just the default #s) get fixed. I created a waypoint, got the blue flag, put in a title (LOVE the fact that Swype is the method for entering text), and then returned to the map view. NO label/title, just the blue flag. The title shows when you select Waypoints, but not on the map. There are only two options when connecting to the computer, as a media device (MTP) and as a camera (PTP). However, you can only access your photos when mounted via the PTP option. The DCIM file appears when mounted the other way but there's nothing there when you open the folder.

There's lots to like (and I've only scratched the surface of the unit's capabilities so far) but there are a few bugs (as is the case nowadays with most new releases) that need to be fixed. I haven't looked yet, but is there a Wiki for the Monterra yet?

Mass storage mode is off the table, according to Garmin support. Putting .gpx files on the unit entails an extra step or two but it still can be done.

Initial thoughts after a cache maintenance run (NO actual geocaching, just navigating to a couple of coordinate sets). I haven't done any updates, not connected to Wi-Fi, or installed any apps, and am running software version 2.20_1.15, Firmware version 2.10, Android version 4.0.4, and Kernel version 3.0.21

The screen is beautiful, the map redraw is faster than the Montana and without reading the manual in-depth, the UI is pretty easy to deal with (although I have some familiarity with the Montana which gives me a leg up).

I didn't initially notice the unit having issues with the compass (as noted on another thread), but I entered some coordinates, saw where they were on the map and then put the unit down. I have the backlight set to go off and the unit to sleep rather quickly, but when I arrived and picked it up, the same problem was noted this time. I turned it off and then back on and all was fine. The arrow/needle pointed at where I was going with the first set of coordinates but the second set was probably at least 30-45 degrees off from where I knew I was going. I did NOT try to re-calibrate so I have no idea if I could or couldn't at this time.

Minor annoyances I noted in the short amount of time I was using it, all easily fixed and NOT problems to report to Garmin. The default setup in the Geocaching profile is to show the nearest cache on the home screen. This is easily fixed and once that was off the screen it made things less cluttered. The same thing happened on the default map screen as the dashboard was enabled. Another quick easy fix since all you need to push is the arrow to get it to "hide". I wasn't initally prompted on my selection of a geocache (wanted to see if it was similar to the Montana) on how to get there but once I chose "Prompt" it gave me the option to choose how to get to the cache. I was pleasantly surprised to hear the voice promptly upon selecting "automobile". I guess the Montana speaker stand for my car will now be used just to charge!

The Gizzmo Vest I bought for my Montana fits the Monterra but the camera hole is wrong and it's a VERY tight squeeze. Time to see if they have one for the Monterra. I haven't found out where to see the satellites (like on the other units from Garmin) I've acquired but I'm sure it's there. I like the possibilities with all the apps you can use on the unit and I hope to go after a couple of new Wherigos with the unit to see how it performs. Entering coordinates and modifying them is easier than it was on the Montana - just touch where you need to start and go from there.

Like previously mentioned in a separate thread, I sure hope the waypoint labels (even if it's just the default #s) get fixed. I created a waypoint, got the blue flag, put in a title (LOVE the fact that Swype is the method for entering text), and then returned to the map view. NO label/title, just the blue flag. The title shows when you select Waypoints, but not on the map. There are only two options when connecting to the computer, as a media device (MTP) and as a camera (PTP). However, you can only access your photos when mounted via the PTP option. The DCIM file appears when mounted the other way but there's nothing there when you open the folder.

There's lots to like (and I've only scratched the surface of the unit's capabilities so far) but there are a few bugs (as is the case nowadays with most new releases) that need to be fixed. I haven't looked yet, but is there a Wiki for the Monterra yet?

I'm on a Mac computer and when I connect via MTP, I can "see" all data including DCIM/CAMERA/photos...

EDIT: I just fired up Parallels w/ Win-7 and I was able to see all data there as well when in MTP mode.

No wiki yet but I'm sure someone will. As for the Satellites, there are three ways to see them: As a Dashboard on the Map, as a Widget on your Home screens or as an App from the Garmin APPS page. Enjoy...

Edited by DRTBYK

I have problem with Monterra and Androsensor and Xcsoar programs (ony this have tested). Problem is with te baro sensor readings.

Sometimes programs can read the data from the sensor and other times not. From the author of the Androsensor received such an explanation

"This is a known bug for certain ROMs, especially for devices that receive custom or manufacturer upgrades from android version 2.x to version 4.x .

What happens is that a sensor is not released after being in use. This issue is generally an issue of the device's core software and third party apps like AndroSensor cannot do anything to resolve it."

I sent seven messages to Garmin on this issue and each time refused to address the problem.

Edited by wujek74

I have problem with Monterra and Androsensor and Xcsoar programs (ony this have tested). Problem is with te baro sensor readings.

Sometimes programs can read the data from the sensor and other times not. From the author of the Androsensor received such an explanation

"This is a known bug for certain ROMs, especially for devices that receive custom or manufacturer upgrades from android version 2.x to version 4.x .

What happens is that a sensor is not released after being in use. This issue is generally an issue of the device's core software and third party apps like AndroSensor cannot do anything to resolve it."

I sent seven messages to Garmin on this issue and each time refused to address the problem.

Not that surprising. Not all Android implementations are the same - by design. It also sounds like the App developer knows this is a problem. To see if it is the Garmin Outdoor Apps (GOA) that is holding your Sensor hostage try Force Stoping GOA when this condition is apparent. To do that, go to Menu-System Settings-Battery-Garmin Outdoor Apps-Force stop. Check to see if your Sensor has been released. If not, this is purely an Android OS implementation issue. Unless there are a large number of customers with this problem, I wouldn't expect Garmin to give it high priority.

The Android App Clean Master considers "StreetPilot" to be a junk file.

Screenshot_2013-11-27-20-38-37.png

Hey, I could free up 2.60 GB by removing that. :lol3

Yeah, you might want to leave that one in place. But, that's a lot of data in there. Clean it should be somewhere around 700MB.

How would I slim the app down? It may be counting all the extra maps I have associated with the map app. In fact that's likely what brought the size up to that level. My CNNA maps are on the SD card.I have Canada Topo V4 on the Monterra, and took the US Topos off.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

Yeah, you might want to leave that one in place. But, that's a lot of data in there. Clean it should be somewhere around 700MB.

How would I slim the app down? It may be counting all the extra maps I have associated with the map app. In fact that's likely what brought the size up to that level. My CNNA maps are on the SD card.

That would be it. I put all of my data on the ext_sdcard (my µSD Card).

How would I slim the app down? It may be counting all the extra maps I have associated with the map app. In fact that's likely what brought the size up to that level. My CNNA maps are on the SD card.

That would be it. I put all of my data on the ext_sdcard (my µSD Card).

My uSD card is small; it's a purchased card with CNNA on it. It's only got about 800 megs of free space on it, after CNNA.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

I've installed a FTP-server on my Monterra, and I use NetDrive to assign it a drive letter in Windows. By using this approach, I'm able to transfer GPX-files from GSAK directly to the Monterra through WiFi.

You can use MyPhoneExplorer and connect via wifi or bluetooth.

True but it doesn't show up as mass storage device. It connects as a media device which is a whole different interface and programs like GSAK can't read it.

Thomfre was that you who was going to do a step by step on the GSAK forum on how to accomplish what you did?

Anyone know where to report bugs, Monterrabeta@garmin.com maybe ??

Garmin Product Support

What's the bug?

A selection of Geocache related bugs, problems and/or issues translated from the Norwegian Monterra Wiki by thomfre:

- The default list of geocaches shows all caches, including the found once.

- Found geocaches are not marked as found in the list. The only indication of a found cache is that it is shown on the map as an open chest.

- When a geocache are tagged as found, it is still shown as the nearest geocache on the Geocache Dashboard.

- The Geocache Dashboard does not update with the nearest geocache when on the move.

- When navigating to a cache which is not the nearest one, the dashboard still shows the nearest cache.

- The map zoom level is not stored when going out of the map page and back again. It defaults to 300 meters.

- When navigating to a cache, it is not possible, as it is on the Montana, to push the dashboard to access the geocache description, hint and logs. One will have to select the geocache from the list again to gain such access.

- Logs from GSAK in HTML are "unreadable" since the HTML codes are shown.

- Only a few lines of the geocache description are shown

- The compass does not show the right direction

- Some names on the maps are shown upside down.

- The Garmin App does not work with other languages than english

- When loading a GPX file with more than e.g 1000 geocaches, the list of all geocaches are slow and imprecise.

- When navigating to a cache, the bearing line is fixed to the point where the navigation starts.

Edited by Catch

Anyone know where to report bugs, Monterrabeta@garmin.com maybe ??

Garmin Product Support

What's the bug?

A selection of Geocache related bugs, problems and/or issues translated from the Norwegian Monterra Wiki by thomfre:

- The default list of geocaches shows all caches, including the found once.

- Found geocaches are not marked as found in the list. The only indication of a found cache is that it is shown on the map as an open chest.

- When a geocache are tagged as found, it is still shown as the nearest geocache on the Geocache Dashboard.

- The Geocache Dashboard does not update with the nearest geocache when on the move.

- When navigating to a cache which is not the nearest one, the dashboard still shows the nearest cache.

- The map zoom level is not stored when going out of the map page and back again. It defaults to 300 meters.

- When navigating to a cache, it is not possible, as it is on the Montana, to push the dashboard to access the geocache description, hint and logs. One will have to select the geocache from the list again to gain such access.

- Logs from GSAK in HTML are "unreadable" since the HTML codes are shown.

- Only a few lines of the geocache description are shown

- The compass does not show the right direction

- Some names on the maps are shown upside down.

- The Garmin App does not work with other languages than english

- When loading a GPX file with more than e.g 1000 geocaches, the list of all geocaches are slow and imprecise.

- When navigating to a cache, the bearing line is fixed to the point where the navigation starts.

Great list and I know those have been reported but you should continue to report as I do.

One comment on the Map zooming:

If you leave the Map page by using the "Home" button rather than the "Return" button and then return to the Map page using the Home button to show active Apps and touching the Map App in the list, the Map will remain at the zoom level you left it.

If you leave the Map page by using the "Home" button rather than the "Return" button and then return to the Map page using the Home button to show active Apps and touching the Map App in the list, the Map will remain at the zoom level you left it.

Thanks Dan. Yes, I have noticed that, but I forgot to mention it. However, I think the zoom level should be stored when using the "Return" button as well as the "Home" button. :)

Thanks Dan. Yes, I have noticed that, but I forgot to mention it. However, I think the zoom level should be stored when using the "Return" button as well as the "Home" button. :)

I don't disagree with you but I think (not sure) that the "Return" action is mandated by the Android System processes and therefore Garmin would not be able to depart from them since the Monterra is a "certified" Google Play device.

Map settings seem intermittently kept across different profiles. If I have a topo map and a street map and enable the topo on the "Recreational" profile and the streets on the "Automotive" profile and switch profiles sometimes the streets stay when I switch to "Recreational" and vice versa.

Garmin might have been a few weeks premature on this release. Plenty of "rookie" bugs like this one.

Also I'm annoyed with the adherence to Android specific operations. Like the return button mentioned above and the lack of barometric recording or alarm clock if you fully power down. Screen brightness is also a pain in the butt to adjust (doesn't auto adjust using a light sensor or when the color mode switches to night mode).

Edited by yogazoo

Map settings seem intermittently kept across different profiles. If I have a topo map and a street map and enable the topo on the "Recreational" profile and the streets on the "Automotive" profile and switch profiles sometimes the streets stay when I switch to "Recreational" and vice versa.

Garmin might have been a few weeks premature on this release. Plenty of "rookie" bugs like this one.

Also I'm annoyed with the adherence to Android specific operations. Like the return button mentioned above and the lack of barometric recording or alarm clock if you fully power down. Screen brightness is also a pain in the butt to adjust (doesn't auto adjust using a light sensor or when the color mode switches to night mode).

I reported this bug on 22Nov. It took me a while to actually get Product Support to follow my directions so they could see it happen. For the Map Change to function properly, you must leave the Map App before changing the Profile then return to the Map App after the Profile change. When I say "leave" the Map App, I mean you need to use the Return Arrow button not the Home button.

And, I absolutely agree with you that the Monterra was released before it should have been - and I shared that with Dev and Dev Mgmt. I believe Dev Team didn't want to release yet but were directed to by Mgmt.

Edited by DRTBYK

The Monterra has some good things and not so good things related to the Android OS. In the case of Multi-tasking Apps, the good thing is that there is multi-tasking. The not so good thing is that Garmin doesn't give any "education" on what that means with respect to using an App - like the one we're discussing above. Leaving an App by way of the Return Arrow resets the App to its default open-state. If you leave an App by way of the Home button, that does not reset the App and when you return to the App (either by using the multi-task list or just touching the App Icon, you will return to the same state as you left the App - which can be very useful in switching between Apps without reseting the "view".

It is a shame we have to discover these things as customers.

And, I absolutely agree with you that the Monterra was released before it should have been - and I shared that with Dev and Dev Mgmt. I believe Dev Team didn't want to release yet but were directed to by Mgmt.

To state the obvious, it seems as though Garmin didn't want to miss the holiday shopping season and Mgmt pushed it out the door.

The differences in whether you hit the return button or the home button are going to confuse the heck out of people. I'm even confused despite having used the Monterra for months and having an android phone. My opinion is that they should make them perform the same operations to cut down on the confusion. But like you said DRTBYK they are beholden to the Android OS so I'm not sure if this is possible.

One more I found tonight: the Tempe sensor connection is tenuous. A few feet away from the Tempe sensor you lose the connection. My Oregon 650 holds it strong out to 30 feet or so. I wonder if this is another Android based issue.

I also have taken issue with the way the weather radio and FM radio need to have headphones plugged in to get them to work. When I first read the Monterra announcement it sounded a little like the unit might receive weather alerts from NOAA much like the Rino 6xx series. Turns out you need headphones to act as an antenna before the app even lets the radio turn on. The Monterra is a pretty nice GPS unit but I foresee some software updates in the future that make it even better.

Edited by yogazoo

If it helps, the eTrex 20 that I have had for almost 2 years STILL exhibits this problem.

It's not specific to the Monterra;

I'm curious to see if this problem also occurs on the GPSMAP 62s I received today.

One more I found tonight: the Tempe sensor connection is tenuous. A few feet away from the Tempe sensor you lose the connection. My Oregon 650 holds it strong out to 30 feet or so. I wonder if this is another Android based issue.

Yes, the Tempe performance is far below the legacy unit's performance. I once had the Tempe 150 feet away and still connected to my 78S. And the Tempe didn't need to be in the same room to connect to my Montana or the 78.

I also have taken issue with the way the weather radio and FM radio need to have headphones plugged in to get them to work. When I first read the Monterra announcement it sounded a little like the unit might receive weather alerts from NOAA much like the Rino 6xx series. Turns out you need headphones to act as an antenna before the app even lets the radio turn on. The Monterra is a pretty nice GPS unit but I foresee some software updates in the future that make it even better.

I really have been on Garmin's case about this one. As I noted in my review, it appears as though the Eng. that was responsible for the FM Radio(s) was VERY handheld myopic. I have done some rather superficial testing and I'm not sure that a software fix will take care of this one. When the Monterra is mounted in a AMPS Rugged Mount, using the FM Radio(s) will pass Audio to either the Audio Out socket on the Monterra OR the Audio Out cable/socket on the Rugged Mount. BUT, you still have to have an Antenna load plugged into the Monterra Audio Out socket. I'm hoping that this indicates Garmin is only monitoring the impedance on the units Audio Out and that they could monitor the impedance at the Rugged Mount contact for Audio Out.

In addition the FM Radios will not pass Audio to Bluetooth. This is really annoying and I hope there are lots of owners that request a fix.

Regarding the FM radio.

The first generation Samsung Galaxy S (gt-i9000) I have is the same way....FM radio only works with headphones plugged in.

There are a number of devices that have required this and it is logical that the FM Radio needs an antenna. The easy solution is the headphone cord - you don't even need the earbud terminations, just the two wires. The real issue for me is that Garmin was handheld myopic and didn't bother considering that people would want the Radios when on the Bike or in the 4-wheeler - not to mention using Bluetooth headsets.

Yeah, I already butchered a pair of old headphones that I can stuff in my kit. It would have been nice to receive weather alerts on the go however without walking around with a cord dangling about it seems its a no go. I get from an engineers standpoint that adding a tiny ferrous antenna might wreak havoc with compass sensors but not being able to recognize the various mounts is pretty lame.

Edited by yogazoo

Yeah, I already butchered a pair of old headphones that I can stuff in my kit. It would have been nice to receive weather alerts on the go however without walking around with a cord dangling about it seems its a no go. I get from an engineers standpoint that adding a tiny ferrous antenna might wreak havoc with compass sensors but not being able to recognize the various mounts is pretty lame.

Yeah, I was surprised at how little effort (none) was spent on the Rugged Mount in software design. I have noted several bugs that are directly related to the Rugged Mount not being properly recognized or utilized. It should only be a matter of coding in support for the FM antenna through the Rugged Mount contacts to fix this (along with Bluetooth support). I just can't imagine any designer hardwiring any portion of this scenario. :blink:

When using the "time to destination" field with a street routing map like City Navigator it only gives you the time in 1 hour increments and never counts down. "Time to Destination" field is therefore broken. Reported to Dev Team.

This is a known bug and should have been addressed before release but will hopefully get addressed with the next update.

The Monterra has some good things and not so good things related to the Android OS. In the case of Multi-tasking Apps, the good thing is that there is multi-tasking. The not so good thing is that Garmin doesn't give any "education" on what that means with respect to using an App - like the one we're discussing above. Leaving an App by way of the Return Arrow resets the App to its default open-state. If you leave an App by way of the Home button, that does not reset the App and when you return to the App (either by using the multi-task list or just touching the App Icon, you will return to the same state as you left the App - which can be very useful in switching between Apps without reseting the "view".

It is a shame we have to discover these things as customers.

How do you turn off an APP? I have never owned or used a smart phone, Ipad, tablet or other such device. I had never used WiFi before using it on my new Monterra.

I was out of town last week. The hotel had WiFi and the kin I was visiting did too. I figured out how to use the Chrome app on the Monterra to log on to Geocaching.com. I did not figure out how to shut down the Chrome app when I did not want it to be running. I resorted to turning off the WiFi on my device. When I turn WiFi back on, it looked like the Chrome was still active and using the WiFi hot spot.

I have not gotten skilled at moving around the Geocaching.com web site when using Chrome to get there via WiFi. I do not have WiFi at home. A scan shows 3-4 WiFi spots near home.They are properly password protected and only one shows the name of the people. The others use nicknames. One of the nicknames does have a non password protected 'guest' link but I am hesitant to use it because of the risks. (I admit I logged into that very briefly last night but the signal was very week and I did not do any thing (lack of activity on my part may still have exposed me to bad code.)

-Kate2009

Can the Monterra be recharged when it is turned off?

My Monterra arrived the day before I went on a 380+ mile road trip. I was using my NUVI for in car navigation and thought the Monterra was turned off. The drive took all day because I spent 3 hours of it going only a few miles. When I got to the hotel, I turned on the Monterra but it would not stay on. I thought the battery pack might have not been fully charged to start with. When I plugged the unit into a wall socket, I soon discovered that it had been on all day. I had left tracking turned on and was impressed that it showed my track even though it had been in a case all day. I turned the Monterra off and left it plugged in over night. When I checked in the morning, the charge was still very low. It did not recharge until I left the unit on for several hours.

I had a similar thing happen a couple of days later when I returned home. I thought the Monterra was completely turned off, if I remember correctly I even felt and heard the turn off signal. When I tried to turn it on again, it had traced the long drive home and the battery was too low to keep the unit on. I did not want to leave the unit plugged in and turned on all night last night, so I turned it off before it had a full charge. I have had it plugged in and on for a few hours today but the charge is not full yet.

Is it better to let the charge get very low and then do a full recharge? If I run it on the batteries for several hours should I plug it in until it has a full charge again? Can the unit be recharged while it is in sleep mode or off? If I turn off the power switch on my cell phone or my NUVI when they are plugged in and the battery is not full, they each continue to charge.

"How do you turn off an APP?"

On a smartphone

push the home button for a few seconds

a screen should pop uo with all apps, you can slide them sidewards ( but sometimes they don't really close some say)

to be sure to close them all

on the bottom left you should see a 'broken' ball it's the task manager

tab the ball and select End All

"How do you turn off an APP?"

On a smartphone

push the home button for a few seconds

a screen should pop uo with all apps, you can slide them sidewards ( but sometimes they don't really close some say)

to be sure to close them all

on the bottom left you should see a 'broken' ball it's the task manager

tab the ball and select End All

Your general multi-tasking suggestion will work (for most Apps) but there is no Task Mgr button on the Monterra when you are on the Muli-tasking screen.

Some Apps (not GOA) have a "listener" that is loaded at startup. These are usually very small pieces of code and should cause no harm. If you want to see what is actually running on the Monterra from a Home screen touch the Menu/Options button (lower right) and select Manage apps. Then at the top of the screen select Running.

Can the Monterra be recharged when it is turned off?

My Monterra arrived the day before I went on a 380+ mile road trip. I was using my NUVI for in car navigation and thought the Monterra was turned off. The drive took all day because I spent 3 hours of it going only a few miles. When I got to the hotel, I turned on the Monterra but it would not stay on. I thought the battery pack might have not been fully charged to start with. When I plugged the unit into a wall socket, I soon discovered that it had been on all day. I had left tracking turned on and was impressed that it showed my track even though it had been in a case all day. I turned the Monterra off and left it plugged in over night. When I checked in the morning, the charge was still very low. It did not recharge until I left the unit on for several hours.

I had a similar thing happen a couple of days later when I returned home. I thought the Monterra was completely turned off, if I remember correctly I even felt and heard the turn off signal. When I tried to turn it on again, it had traced the long drive home and the battery was too low to keep the unit on. I did not want to leave the unit plugged in and turned on all night last night, so I turned it off before it had a full charge. I have had it plugged in and on for a few hours today but the charge is not full yet.

Is it better to let the charge get very low and then do a full recharge? If I run it on the batteries for several hours should I plug it in until it has a full charge again? Can the unit be recharged while it is in sleep mode or off? If I turn off the power switch on my cell phone or my NUVI when they are plugged in and the battery is not full, they each continue to charge.

Your Monterra can be charged at any battery level without a negative effect. Battery performance is a matter of managing the Apps that are running and the Display. If you have the Radios (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, ANT+ Connected to a Sensor and GPS) ON when you put the Monterra in Sleep Mode, it will deplete the battery rather quickly (a few hours). I use the Airplane Mode setting when I want to charge the battery and if I really need to charge it fast I turn off the GPS as well. From the previous post you now how to stop all of your running Android Apps which you should do as well - unless there is one you need (Alarm, ANT+Sensor, etc.) while the unit is in Sleep Mode. If the Monterra is Powered Off (not in Sleep Mode) the battery should charge in a few hours if it was completely dead. If this is not happening, call Garmin Product Support and get a new battery.

"if you want to see what is actually running on the Monterra from a Home screen touch the Menu/Options button (lower right) and select Manage apps."

Be aware here that some apps have to run continuously, you can't close all the apps shown here.

To know where your juice went, try an app like, wheres my droid power