Eyes upon us!!

The place: Dayton Ohio State Park

Experiance: Very weird!!!!

The crew and I decided to go caching from our base camp at 11:30 in the evening. A warm March evening. And we go to the Cache called (Whispering Pines). We had traveled about a mile to where the gps was saying about 500 feet to go. Thats when we saw a faint dim light about right where the cache should be. This slowed our progress a little. Assuming where we were at it had to be other geocachers. Well we moved in very slow and without headlamps until we got pretty much right on top of the light and come to find 3 people standing in the woods. In fact, everywhere our headlamps turned there was someone in our beam.Talk about un-nerving as heck.Come to find out it was some sort of church retreat. We dropped down off the trail and took a break and decided to wait them out since we had nothing to show for our adventure. As the group packed up and retreated back out of the woods, they passed by us with candles and flashlights and we lost count at 100 people. That had to be the most weirdest thing to ever happen to me in the woods. Thank god they were not wearing black hoods and capes and chanting long live satin. I dont think the crew will ever be the same!!! Seeker BP Team E-Trex

quote:
Originally posted by seeker bp (Team E-Trex): Thank god they were not wearing black hoods and capes and chanting long live satin. I dont think the crew will ever be the same!!! Seeker BP Team E-Trex

Because if that were the case, they would obviously have been nuts. don't they know how difficult it is to keep satin clean? I'd rather they were devil worshippers or something. icon_wink.gif

boo2.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by seeker bp (Team E-Trex): Thank god they were not wearing black hoods and capes and chanting long live satin. I dont think the crew will ever be the same!!! Seeker BP Team E-Trex

Because if that were the case, they would obviously have been nuts. don't they know how difficult it is to keep satin clean? I'd rather they were devil worshippers or something. icon_wink.gif

boo2.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Sounds too much like the religious scene from O Brother, Where Art Thou?

That's exactly what I was thinking... just a night-time version of that scene. Perhaps they saw the movie and decided to modify it a bit.

quote:
Originally posted by seeker bp (Team E-Trex):

Thank god they were not wearing black hoods and capes and chanting long live satin.

I'd be curious if they were chanting "long live satin". It might be some garment workers cotton a rug up to the cache. Perhaps one had come up lamé while hiking. I'm sure he came back none the worsted for wear.

Sorry, I'll go back to my cave now and pull the wool over my eyes.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

this was years ago, backpacking minister creek trail ( no pun intended ) in PA. buddies and i were camped out on the high ground, and kept hearing all this noise from the direction of the "established" camp ground near the spring. even tho it was 1.00 am, we went to investigate. besides, we were thirsty.

we got near the spring, creeping as silently as we could. the valley was dotted by numerous campfires, and i dont think many pagan rituals were noisier than the commotion there. we were debating what to do, when lights started coming on all around us on this hillside. we ran as fast as we could. next day, the church retreat people came out, approximately 100 strong.we talked to a "counsellor" and asked what the heck they were doing. he simply said, just about anything.

quote:
Originally posted by cache-potato:

Good grief. I can only imagine. That woulda freaked out alot of people. Didn't find any decapitated chickens about did you? No? Well they weren't Baptists then.http://www.plauder-smilies.com/laugh.gif

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/11902_900.gif

No, if the chicken had been fried, that would be a sign of Baptists. Prepared in a casserole would have indicated Methodists. Forget satin - Long Live Cotton!

Ever notice everybody is willing to give THEIR 2 cents worth but only offer a penny for YOUR thoughts?

Reminds me of the time I was camping on the South Platte in Colorado. just about dusk two vehicles pull into the campground and out pop about 8 or 9 young men of middle eastern descent. I could tell they werent exactly the outdoorsy types by their choice of clothes......Slacks,loafers and most had on snazzy black leather jackets. They proceeded to set up their brand new tent and it was pretty clear that none of them had set it or any tent up before. Much shouting of orders to each other and an hour and a half later they had the shelter up. Their campfire was enormous and by the time I stopped watching them and went to bed, I think my retinas were permantly scarred from the light.

About 4 AM a good sized storm came up and made short work of that walled tent of theirs. More shouting of orders ensued with the addition of their car headlights to illuminate the disaster the had befallen them.

eventually things died down and I went back to sleep.

When I got up the next morning they had gone. Left behind for the rest of us in the campground to remember them by was their tent in a crumbled wet mass, a large pile of half burnt firewood in the ring and a lot of trash scattered throughout.

I lost some sleep that night but I cant remember a better campground show!