Question regarding slight modifications to a Geocoin's design

Eclectic Penguin

I have a Geocoin that's been very successful over the past few years. I have released quite a few different editions of the coin from editions of 100 to limited editions of just 20 and all sell within days/weeks (and in one case 50 were sold in 3 hours at an event). I would like to release a special version of this Geocoin with the same design on one side, but a modification on the other. The original design essentially has a penguin on one side but text only on the other.

Aside from the extra cost in creating a new die, would this be regarded as a new Geocoin and therefore need to register an icon / registration fee? I personally would be happy to use my existing icon and registration as the coin would effectively be the same geocoin but with a flag on its back rather than its name (which is largely redundant as many people rename it anyway).

Thanks in advance

So basically it sounds like you are wanting to create a different version of the same coin. Same front, different back. As far as I know and from experience, as long as you own the rights to the current icon image, you can use that icon on future coins of any design really. Our local club uses the same icon for our different year geocoin we produce.

Not sure what you mean by "registration fee" unless you are talking about associating a current icon with an updated coin design. Again, as far as I understand, there isn't a fee for associating a current icon in use with your coin as long as you own the rights to use that icon.

Others who know more or better about this will point out my mistakes if I'm wrong.

So basically it sounds like you are wanting to create a different version of the same coin. Same front, different back. As far as I know and from experience, as long as you own the rights to the current icon image, you can use that icon on future coins of any design really. Our local club uses the same icon for our different year geocoin we produce.

Not sure what you mean by "registration fee" unless you are talking about associating a current icon with an updated coin design. Again, as far as I understand, there isn't a fee for associating a current icon in use with your coin as long as you own the rights to use that icon.

Others who know more or better about this will point out my mistakes if I'm wrong.

I would be happy to release it as a different edition of the same Geocoin. I'm more than happy to use the same icon (it's almost identical to the forum icon) and the design is also mine (it's almost identical to the forum icon) ;)

My understanding from what I have seen with other geocoins is (and I could be wrong), but I suspect you'll need to get Groundspeak approval, but after that you can use the same icon as previously and the same prefix, etc. So it would essentially just be a new edition of your existing coin series.

But as I said, I could be wrong.

You would have to pay a new icon fee to choose a new coin name, even if you use the same icon (picture). I know I could go look up your first coin name, but for the sake of example. Let's say your coin is named Electic Penguin. If you wish to have your next coin with the new back side die named exactly the same, no icon fee. That would be a continuation of the code series. However, when I activate one with either die side, it would show up as the exact same coin name on Gc.com, with the same icon. Now, if you wished your coin to be Eclectic Penguin v1.2, and use the same little picture (icon), that would require a new icon fee. That's a new coin now, since the coin name is different, and would need to be paid up again. But, it would show up as a different coin name when you activate it, clearing showing the difference between the two versions, even though it had the same physical icon.

I have customers that go either way, saving the icon fee or not. But it's completely a personal preference.

TMA