Question about an event

dameetro

I'm not sure if it is a violation of any specific guidelines but I certainly think it violates the spirit of the event. Cito's are public service projects designed to clean up our playing field and give back to the community. Why would you want to make it difficult for people to attend and participate. The only reason I can think of is to permit you to exclude attendees. That certainly violates the guidelines. It is also clearly open to abuse. If I only wanted to allow certain people to attend, I set up two nearly impossible waypoints to publish and provide final coordinates to my friends. If I was a reviewer, I don't think I would publish it.

Quick question: is it against any guidelines to have a CITO event at the final stage of a multi? Can you expect attendees to find 2 stages of a 5/5 cache prior to the CITO event date?

If the final of a multi leads you to a CITO event, it won't have the cache pemanence guidelines:

"Cachers will expect your cache to remain in place for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (traveling caches), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for one-time events) will not be published."

I'm not sure if it is a violation of any specific guidelines but I certainly think it violates the spirit of the event. Cito's are public service projects designed to clean up our playing field and give back to the community. Why would you want to make it difficult for people to attend and participate. The only reason I can think of is to permit you to exclude attendees. That certainly violates the guidelines. It is also clearly open to abuse. If I only wanted to allow certain people to attend, I set up two nearly impossible waypoints to publish and provide final coordinates to my friends. If I was a reviewer, I don't think I would publish it.

Basically, the final stage of a 5/5 cache I have adopted is on an island. The area had a 100 year record flood last year, leaving a large amount of trash behind. For the event, I was planning to ferry cachers to the island with my boat...then they can find the final stage and help CITO the island. A few local cachers will probably kayak to the island too. Most of the cachers who have found the multicache have done so via kayak. Here's the cache if anyone is interested. It's disabled temporarily because the container was damaged after the flooding. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=36ede079-3e46-44cd-8f79-d28ae1db606c

Edited by dameetro

Quick question: is it against any guidelines to have a CITO event at the final stage of a multi? Can you expect attendees to find 2 stages of a 5/5 cache prior to the CITO event date?

No events are allowed for the purpose of finding caches. Finding caches nearby can be an activity before or after the event, but the sole purpose of the event can't be caching.

You're best advised to read the Guidelines:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

There are specific Guidelines for events and for CITO events. In fact, CITO has its own section:

http://www.geocaching.com/cito/

If you still have questions, I would recommend contacting your local reviewer for help.

B.

Your cache page is not the appropriate place to start a discussion.

B.

Well, with 17 users sill "watching" the listing, I figured it might be nice to see if any former finders would like to re-visit and help me clean up. Many of them listed the cache as a favorite, so I thought some of them may be willing to help CITO the island, especially at an organized event. That way, new finders can have the same challenging experience they had, minus all the garbage.

Edited by dameetro
Well, with 17 users sill "watching" the listing, I figured it might be nice to see if any former finders would like to re-visit and help me clean up. Many of them listed the cache as a favorite, so I thought some of them may be willing to help CITO the island, especially at an organized event. That way, new finders can have the same challenging experience they had, minus all the garbage.

Making the island a CITO is doable and some may be interested just to get their watercraft out for a day.

Making it part of the cache isn't.

On your cache page you wrote, " Do you think new finders would solve the first 2 stages if I provided a means to reach the final, for those without the proper equipment?"

- Do you think that's fair to the others who solved this "5/5" hide without assistance?

Use the K.I.S.S. principle. (Keep It Simple, Sweetie :) )

Just host the CITO event on the island. Everyone will see the posting of the event.

Those who are willing/able to help with the clean-up will most likely look for the cache before, during or after the CITO.

On your cache page you wrote, " Do you think new finders would solve the first 2 stages if I provided a means to reach the final, for those without the proper equipment?"

- Do you think that's fair to the others who solved this "5/5" hide without assistance?

Good question. I had that same thought. I have heard from 4 former finders who said it was a great idea. Some have borrowed kayaks to find stage 3, several borrowed a boat from a friend. Not everyone owns a boat or kayak, so they don't even get a chance to do these level 5's. There are some tree-climbing caches near here too. Most people don't have the correct gear, so one guy usually comes with his climbing gear and helps them use it. I thought this might be kinda like that.

Edited by dameetro

Use the K.I.S.S. principle. (Keep It Simple, Sweetie :) )

Just host the CITO event on the island. Everyone will see the posting of the event.

Those who are willing/able to help with the clean-up will most likely look for the cache before, during or after the CITO.

Thanks for that tip. I am thinking of just making it just what you suggested....and not even mentioning anything about the multi located there. Odds are, most of the attendees will be the same people who have already found the multi anyway.

Hosting a CITO event = GOOD :)

Expecting cachers to work the multi or puzzle that is at the area of the CITO, to know where the CITO is = Not so Good :(

If the island is trashed, just host the CITO and that's it. Those who have worked the multi will know where they are going, and other attendee's will most likely get a bonus find on a cache they never expected to find.

I suppose you don't want to step on the toes of the multi owner, and help people make a find they haven't 'earned', but if it were me I would rather 'give up' a few 'un-earned' smilies in order to have the area my cache is located be cleaned up.

Thanks for the advice everybody. It looks like we will just have the CITO in the general area of the multi's final location. Anybody who has solved it on their own will have the opportunity to go grab it before or after the cleanup.

It's going to be alot of work. When I visited the location earlier this week, I saw a hot water heater, a few refrigerators, and tons of other household debris that had washed downriver from all the neighborhoods that flooded last year. Hopefully no one will need to use the line from Jaws...."We're gonna need a bigger boat" when they see the amount of trash we need to haul to the shore.

I think this is a good answer. But there is nothing keeping you from hiding a multi or puzzle cache where the final cache is at the same location as the CITO. That way people can attend the CITO and if they want to find the cache along the way, that is up to them.