Evil Deer

Guest malates2

Guest malates2

I was walking back from hiding my first (and only, so far) geocache when I head a noise. It was 9 PM and I'm in the middle of nowhere, in the center of a field.... and it was pitch black. All the sudden a dozen or so deer ran by me missing me by a couple of feet.... It was like they were trying to scare me... it sure worked!!! I didn't know what the heck was going on until I figured out what they were... I thought I was a goner for a second... then I realized that they were female, and were trying to avoid me... WHEW...

Guest shavings

quote:
Originally posted by malates2:

All the sudden a dozen or so deer ran by me missing me by a couple of feet....

then I realized that they were female, and were trying to avoid me...

Hey, don't knock it till you tried it....

Deer make much better companions than sheep (so I'm told ;-)

Guest GDannyboy

Hmmm. My thinking is that they were fightened by something that lead them out into the open field that you just happened to be in. That they were running away from something, perhaps wild dogs, a bear or a mountain lion, towards you, a human, makes me think that the threat behind them was greater, in their minds, than any threat you could have posed. Deer can be pretty smart and can usually tell if you have a gun or bow in your hand. You probably gave the deer a pretty good scare too, but then they were running scared already. Perhaps they knew that you posed no harm, but that whatever was scaring them wouldn't follow them into the open especially with a human there. I'm curious, was the wind at your back so that the deer caught wind of you before they came upon you?

Guest malates2

There was no wind... and I'm in NJ, so there is no such things as wild dogs or mountain lions... and bears in the area don't eat deer, so who knows what scared them... aliens?

Oh, ALIENS!!!- that's what that cold table and the probing was all about... no wait, that was my prostrate exam...

The "sshhhHHHHHHHHHH" sound you hear is usually a doe snorting at you. They do then when they are agitated but do not yet feel threatened enough to flee. I have had does do this to me on several occasions. They were usually lucky and doe season wasn?t in then. icon_smile.gif

The "sshhhHHHHHHHHHH" sound you hear is usually a doe snorting at you. They do then when they are agitated but do not yet feel threatened enough to flee. I have had does do this to me on several occasions. They were usually lucky and doe season wasn?t in then. icon_smile.gif

Guest Hunter

They only run by you like that when you don't have a doe permit or when deer season is a week away. Usually I hear a stomp or two, then a snort or two and then watch a whitetail vanish into the woods. Do see enough standing stll so I can cook up a burger or steak. Taste like chicken..............

Guest 300mag

One day i was hunting at 31 mile lake Quebec's largest winter herdings and rattle in a deer on this mountain.This buck wasn't coming out of cover but snorted at me for a very long time.And very loud you could almost hear it echoing trough the wood.Anyway i tried to rattle again to make him come out (stupid me) so he spoted me and scrammed still giving out a few snorts.At least i had a glimpse of him.I think this was one of the most exciting times i had even if that one got away. icon_smile.gifUsually when spooked they snort and run off.

[This message has been edited by 300mag (edited 04-11-2001).]

Guest 300mag

One day i was hunting at 31 mile lake Quebec's largest winter herdings and rattle in a deer on this mountain.This buck wasn't coming out of cover but snorted at me for a very long time.And very loud you could almost hear it echoing trough the wood.Anyway i tried to rattle again to make him come out (stupid me) so he spoted me and scrammed still giving out a few snorts.At least i had a glimpse of him.I think this was one of the most exciting times i had even if that one got away. icon_smile.gifUsually when spooked they snort and run off.

[This message has been edited by 300mag (edited 04-11-2001).]

Guest bluebelch

Last summer, I was hiking in the Trinity Alps in Northern CA with my wife and my GSP (German Shorthaired Pointer) not on a leash. Suddenly, a doe scared up and my dog ran along side the deer briefly until I called her back. For a while the deer then stalked us kind of circling us. She then made a run straight for the dog and veered off at the last possible second. She stalked us some more. I threw a small rock and hit her in the chest at about 25 feet. Finally after I yelled at the deer she trotted off. All I can think is she must have had a baby nearby and wanted to distract us.