Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lumbricus

Waymarking Challenge

13 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

What is the hardest department in your part of the world? For me it is "Measurement Standards" and somtimes "Animals".

Definitely Animals. Though I have a few, most are well away from other departments. Measurement Standards are almost as common as dirt here.

Oh cool - I started a new page.

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters

16 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

What is the hardest department in your part of the world? For me it is "Measurement Standards" and somtimes "Animals". In the current project I have two Measurements in the better area (a river gauge and a European Historic Survey Stone), but none (so far) in the other area I'm working on. On the other hand it was tough to find an Animals waymark in the better area, but by moving the center point a little I was able to include a fish ladder. :-)

Medieval Churches - there are zero in Texas because Europeans did not get here until the 1500s, and those guys were explorers not interested or able to be building medieval churches LOL

Categories that are actually possible for us but that are few and far between or difficult to find are 

Time Balls

Baroque Architecture 

Alpine slides

Ski jumps

Fish ladders 

Locks and Planes 

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

7 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Definitely Animals. Though I have a few, most are well away from other departments. Measurement Standards are almost as common as dirt here.

Oh cool - I started a new page.

Keith

Whenever I complain, that there is no location for an Animals category, my wife asks "Shall we buy an insect hotel and put it somewhere?" :-)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Whenever I complain, that there is no location for an Animals category, my wife asks "Shall we buy an insect hotel and put it somewhere?" :-)

Andreas, the answer to that is YES - I like your wife’s style on Waymarking.

Ya know, if she will buy and send me a humming stone, I have a publicly-accesible place for it that would be free to visit and available 24/7 (Garland Central Park). If she’ll hurry up it can be a FIRST of its zkind (First public art in Garland), but if she dawdles it can still be a superlative (ONLY humming stone in Texas). 

I would also note that I like your wife VERY much, we can name it after her or whoever she chooses, AND both Christmas (Dec) and my birthday (Feb) are coming up . :wub::rolleyes::D:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Bon Echo said:

I think he meant "Departments" and not Categories. There are 15 departments, shown at the top of the page here: http://www.Waymarking.com/categories.aspx

In the Great Lakes region of Canada / USA I don't think any departments are hard to get. Animals, Oddities and Waymarking Multifarious and less common but those also have the fewest categories within their departments.

As far as categories that are only in the one part of the world, I suspect there are more that are USA-only or North America-only than in any other part of the world. I can think of a bunch not including the many state historical markers and benchmark categories. Underground Railway Sites, woodmen of the world, etc.

yes, I see where I mis-read that. I'd have to agree with Measurement Standards (which Prime Meridian is part of).

34 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

yes, I see where I mis-read that. I'd have to agree with Measurement Standards (which Prime Meridian is part of).

We always have have exta woodmen of the world tombstones, so if anyone wants to partner we can help with that icon

3 hours ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

Andreas, the answer to that is YES - I like your wife’s style on Waymarking.

Ya know, if she will buy and send me a humming stone, I have a publicly-accesible place for it that would be free to visit and available 24/7 (Garland Central Park). If she’ll hurry up it can be a FIRST of its zkind (First public art in Garland), but if she dawdles it can still be a superlative (ONLY humming stone in Texas). 

I would also note that I like your wife VERY much, we can name it after her or whoever she chooses, AND both Christmas (Dec) and my birthday (Feb) are coming up . :wub::rolleyes::D:lol::lol::lol:

LOL!! I think insect hotels are a little cheaper than humming stones. Not to mention the postage we would have to pay. :-) But if you can convince Jack in the Box to open a branch in Austria and give me - let's say - 5% of their profit, we will soon have enough money to send you a humming stone. :lol:

• Upvote 1

On 12/17/2017 at 0:19 AM, PISA-caching said:

I can't believe it! Someone else had the same idea we did. We actually did - make one, that is. We set it up at home and were in the months-long process of figuring out a place where we could put it to photograph and make it look a little less homemade when, wonder of wonders, we actually found one in Bozeman, MT!!! Soooo, we got one without having to create one of our own. (Nowhere does it say that you can't).

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters

6 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Took a look at your waymark and love it. I've never seen an insect hotel made of wood pallets. What a fabulous idea!

Not in Texas it's not!  That thing will be full of black widow spiders, scorpions, and rattlesnakes in NO TIME FLAT!! EEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

Not in Texas it's not!  That thing will be full of black widow spiders, scorpions, and rattlesnakes in NO TIME FLAT!! EEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!

OK, so spiders (Black Widows) are not TECHNICALLY insects. them and the scorpions would be OK for me as users of the hotel. Now, I'd have to forego the ratllers!

My next 10K/10K: Burgdorf, BE, Switzerland:

Population 16295 as of December 2016; waymarks two weeks ago: 0, today: 30 (1 waiting)

• Upvote 2

On ‎30‎.‎11‎.‎2017 at 2:00 AM, BK-Hunters said:

WOW! You got some really good categories there. Now go back and get the other 1,500 that must be waiting...;)

It just occured to me - given that there are no other WMs there and it's a good sized town you might have a chance for a Tally=30 Lucky 7. This is something I've been seeking for five years now. Closest we've come is 28. Good Luck. I hope you find one!!!

Keith

WooooHoooo!!! It took a lot of research to find candidates for all the 15 departments and I spent some extra time trying to use as many different locations as possible. Now I have my first Lucky 7 waymark with a tally of 30. Apart from the fact that a Lucky 7 waymark with tally 30 is something special I have to say that Steyr is truely a great place with lots of very old buildings and a great landscape.

21 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

WooooHoooo!!! It took a lot of research to find candidates for all the 15 departments and I spent some extra time trying to use as many different locations as possible. Now I have my first Lucky 7 waymark with a tally of 30. Apart from the fact that a Lucky 7 waymark with tally 30 is something special I have to say that Steyr is truely a great place with lots of very old buildings and a great landscape.

CONGRATS, you lucky Dog!!! :) :) :)

Yer makin' me jealous!!!

Keith

9 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

CONGRATS, you lucky Dog!!! :) :) :)

Yer makin' me jealous!!!

Keith

I keep my fingers crossed for you. Sometimes the distance between success and fail is quite short. I had a special area of Steyr in my mind and I found almost all the categories there, but in the end I had to give up and find a new location. Fortunately, I found this other area of Steyr where I found something for every department online(!). That way I could make a plan of all the photos I have to take. So, quite some effort, but worth it.