Waymarking Challenge

16 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

What is the hardest department in your part of the world? For me it is "Measurement Standards" and somtimes "Animals". In the current project I have two Measurements in the better area (a river gauge and a European Historic Survey Stone), but none (so far) in the other area I'm working on. On the other hand it was tough to find an Animals waymark in the better area, but by moving the center point a little I was able to include a fish ladder. :-)

Medieval Churches - there are zero in Texas because Europeans did not get here until the 1500s, and those guys were explorers not interested or able to be building medieval churches LOL

Categories that are actually possible for us but that are few and far between or difficult to find are 

Time Balls

Baroque Architecture 

Alpine slides

Ski jumps

Fish ladders 

Locks and Planes 

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz
7 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Definitely Animals. Though I have a few, most are well away from other departments. Measurement Standards are almost as common as dirt here.

Oh cool - I started a new page.

Keith

Whenever I complain, that there is no location for an Animals category, my wife asks "Shall we buy an insect hotel and put it somewhere?" :-)

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Whenever I complain, that there is no location for an Animals category, my wife asks "Shall we buy an insect hotel and put it somewhere?" :-)

Andreas, the answer to that is YES - I like your wife’s style on Waymarking.

Ya know, if she will buy and send me a humming stone, I have a publicly-accesible place for it that would be free to visit and available 24/7 (Garland Central Park). If she’ll hurry up it can be a FIRST of its zkind (First public art in Garland), but if she dawdles it can still be a superlative (ONLY humming stone in Texas). 

I would also note that I like your wife VERY much, we can name it after her or whoever she chooses, AND both Christmas (Dec) and my birthday (Feb) are coming up . :wub::rolleyes::D:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz
  • Upvote 1
22 hours ago, Bon Echo said:

I think he meant "Departments" and not Categories. There are 15 departments, shown at the top of the page here: http://www.Waymarking.com/categories.aspx

In the Great Lakes region of Canada / USA I don't think any departments are hard to get. Animals, Oddities and Waymarking Multifarious and less common but those also have the fewest categories within their departments.

As far as categories that are only in the one part of the world, I suspect there are more that are USA-only or North America-only than in any other part of the world. I can think of a bunch not including the many state historical markers and benchmark categories. Underground Railway Sites, woodmen of the world, etc.

yes, I see where I mis-read that. I'd have to agree with Measurement Standards (which Prime Meridian is part of).

3 hours ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

Andreas, the answer to that is YES - I like your wife’s style on Waymarking.

Ya know, if she will buy and send me a humming stone, I have a publicly-accesible place for it that would be free to visit and available 24/7 (Garland Central Park). If she’ll hurry up it can be a FIRST of its zkind (First public art in Garland), but if she dawdles it can still be a superlative (ONLY humming stone in Texas). 

I would also note that I like your wife VERY much, we can name it after her or whoever she chooses, AND both Christmas (Dec) and my birthday (Feb) are coming up . :wub::rolleyes::D:lol::lol::lol:

LOL!! I think insect hotels are a little cheaper than humming stones. Not to mention the postage we would have to pay. :-) But if you can convince Jack in the Box to open a branch in Austria and give me - let's say - 5% of their profit, we will soon have enough money to send you a humming stone. :lol:

• Upvote 2
On 12/17/2017 at 0:19 AM, PISA-caching said:

I can't believe it! Someone else had the same idea we did. We actually did - make one, that is. We set it up at home and were in the months-long process of figuring out a place where we could put it to photograph and make it look a little less homemade when, wonder of wonders, we actually found one in Bozeman, MT!!! Soooo, we got one without having to create one of our own. (Nowhere does it say that you can't).

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters
23 minutes ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

Not in Texas it's not!  That thing will be full of black widow spiders, scorpions, and rattlesnakes in NO TIME FLAT!! EEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!

OK, so spiders (Black Widows) are not TECHNICALLY insects. them and the scorpions would be OK for me as users of the hotel. Now, I'd have to forego the ratllers!

On ‎30‎.‎11‎.‎2017 at 2:00 AM, BK-Hunters said:

WOW! You got some really good categories there. Now go back and get the other 1,500 that must be waiting...;)

It just occured to me - given that there are no other WMs there and it's a good sized town you might have a chance for a Tally=30 Lucky 7. This is something I've been seeking for five years now. Closest we've come is 28. Good Luck. I hope you find one!!!

Keith

WooooHoooo!!! It took a lot of research to find candidates for all the 15 departments and I spent some extra time trying to use as many different locations as possible. Now I have my first Lucky 7 waymark with a tally of 30. Apart from the fact that a Lucky 7 waymark with tally 30 is something special I have to say that Steyr is truely a great place with lots of very old buildings and a great landscape.

21 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

WooooHoooo!!! It took a lot of research to find candidates for all the 15 departments and I spent some extra time trying to use as many different locations as possible. Now I have my first Lucky 7 waymark with a tally of 30. Apart from the fact that a Lucky 7 waymark with tally 30 is something special I have to say that Steyr is truely a great place with lots of very old buildings and a great landscape.

CONGRATS, you lucky Dog!!! :) :) :)

Yer makin' me jealous!!!

Keith

• Love 1
9 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

CONGRATS, you lucky Dog!!! :) :) :)

Yer makin' me jealous!!!

Keith

I keep my fingers crossed for you. Sometimes the distance between success and fail is quite short. I had a special area of Steyr in my mind and I found almost all the categories there, but in the end I had to give up and find a new location. Fortunately, I found this other area of Steyr where I found something for every department online(!). That way I could make a plan of all the photos I have to take. So, quite some effort, but worth it.

After fulfilling the 10/10 challenge in Amstetten and Steyr (both of them in Austria), we - for the first time - fulfill it for a city outside of our home country: Cremona, Italy. According to Wikipedia, Cremona has a population of 72,680 people and had zero waymarks before we created ours. Unfortunately, we spent just one night in Cremona and had daylight for only a couple of hours. So, we will not end up with that many waymarks, but a few are still to come.

Edited by PISA-caching
  • Upvote 2
13 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Just a guess, but I'm betting that more than one of your WMs has the word Stradivarius in it...

Keith

That's right, they have two different statues of him (one in front of his former house and one on a square that is named after him) and a replica of his tombstone and probably much more, that I didn't find.

Well, The Pud didn't need yelling at and I really didn't feel like doing the laundry, so, instead, the poem (Really, what else did you expect?)

Ten thousand folks, when not a hoax, is rare as it can be
The towns we've seen, though lush and green, and quite a sight to see
Have seldom more than several score of populace at best
Our towns are small, but that's not all they are here in the west
They're on a street which one may meet a deer a moose or bear
But finding one that's not been "done" is genuinely rare.

When we arrive at these folks' hive we're ne'er the first to be
The 'Markers who, drove sternly through, the night to clearly see
By dawn's first light that wondrous sight, a town that's theirs to take
A city filled with Waymarks billed as "Featured" they can make.
Though only one may have been "done" it quenches quick our thirst
For those we do, though ten or two, will never be a "First".

With COVID still high on the bill, a trek to nether lands,
That place Canucks will just say "Shucks" and go to get their tans,
May cure the ill I harbour still o'er insufficient towns
The way things are I'll keep the car here safely in the downs.
I'll envy you your Waymarks true and play it year by year
I'll think and try and by-and-by still hold this challenge dear.

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Upvote 2
On 10/15/2021 at 2:31 AM, ScroogieII said:

Would you two please STOP THIS already??

Yer makin' me so envious of all those 10/10 cities nearly at your doorsteps that I could almost yell at the cat, do my laundry or even write a poem!!!

Keith

Sorry, Keith, but I have to do it again: Perugia, Italy (160,000+ inhabitants). 11 Waymarks so far and several more to come.

Interesting fact: So far, the province of Umbria, Italy had only 21 WMs, while the neighbour Tocana has 1235 WMs! But soon we will have another vacation in Italy. This time we will visit the Marche region and there are only 6 WMs in that region so far. And they have several cities with more than 10,000 inhabitants. :D

Edited by PISA-caching

When I was young, I made longer (3-4 weeks) vacations and after 2 vacations I had (most of the time) spent most of my free days. But nowadays we hardly make vacations that are longer than 8 days. At the same time I get an extra week of vacation from my employer,  because of my age. AND, I earn "a little" more than I earned when I was young. So, I have enough time and money to enjoy multiple vacations per year. Especially, because it was not that easy during the hard times of the Pandemic.

Just to tease you a little more: We will also visit some Christmas Markets in Switzerland/France for a few days at the end of November and some more in Germany/France one week later. But I don't think that I will fulfill this challenge in any of the mentioned countries.

Edited by PISA-caching
  • Surprised 1

Well ... I saw this challenge two weeks ago on the last post of Andreas. It was on Saturday while searching for a newspaper article with the St. Catharine church I realized that the city of Salzwedel with about 21,500 inhabitants had no waymarks prior our (unfortunately really short) visit at the end of March. I just managed to take some pictures around the church before the light got to bad for my smartphone camera. But the result is 11 waymarks in 7 departments.

• Helpful 1