Waymarking Challenge

I am working on our 2nd 10/10K challenge in another Texas City. Will let you know when I am done.

Waymarks in Snyder TX as of 04 Nov 2013: ZERO

Here are our 10/10K challenge waymarks -- with one extra for luck ha ha:

WMJDT8 Dated Buildings and Cornerstones ... 1916 -- College on the Square -- Snyder TX

WMJDTC Converted Bank Buildings ... First State Bank -- Snyder TX

WMJDV5 Donated Engraved Bricks and Pavers ... White Buffalo Plaza -- Snyder TX

WMJDX7 Courthouses ... Scurry County Courthouse -- Snyder TX

WMJDY3 Texas Historic Markers ... The Santa Fe Railway Company in Scurry County

WMJDT3 Retired Prisons ... Old Scurry County Jail -- Snyder TX

WMJE10 Googie Architecture ... Suncolor Window Tint -- Snyder TX

WMJE16 Vintage Movie Theatres ... The Ritz -- Snyder TX

WMJE1A Train Stations/Depots ... Roscoe, Snyder and Pacific Railroad Depot -- Snyder TX

WMJDXA Gazebos ... Scurry County Courthouse Gazebo -- Snyder TX

WMJE13 Vintage Gas Stations ... Sinclair Oil Co. -- Snyder TX

Thanks for this fun challenge, Andreas! :)

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

I am working on our 2nd 10/10K challenge in another Texas City. Will let you know when I am done.

WMJDT8 Dated Buildings and Cornerstones ... 1916 -- College on the Square -- Snyder TX

WMJE1A Train Stations/Depots ... Roscoe, Snyder and Pacific Railroad Depot -- Snyder TX

Challenge solved! -> Great.

If you ever should come to Germany, I'll pay all the beers we drink together, and the beer tasts so good here that it will be more than 1. :laughing:

Challenge solved! -> Great.

If you ever should come to Germany, I'll pay all the beers we drink together, and the beer tasts so good here that it will be more than 1. :laughing:

We are working on pulling together a trip to Europe :) We will DEFINITELY come calling to your neck of the woods!

McCormick SC - Population 2,783 at the 2010 census.

10 Mile Radius:

Prior to February 2013 - 8

As of 12/11/13 - 56

I've posted 48

Greenwood, SC - Population 23,222 at the 2010 census.

10 Mile Radius:

Prior to February 2013 - 15

As of 12/11/2013 - 36

I've posted 21

Does this count for anything? Maybe a SMALL cup of Coffee?

So bombardement in cities of:

- Czestochowa (240 027)

- Chorzów (112 749)

- Sosnowiec ( 218 422)

- Tychy (132 600)

- Tarnowskie gory (60 000)

- Pszczyna (25 415)

(+ some of cities around with not enough of waymarks for challenge and biggest city of Katowice, where some waymarks was even before)

:shocked::D

Perfect! Well done, you're allowed to drink 1,0 l beer, NOW! :anibad:

McCormick SC - Population 2,783 at the 2010 census.

10 Mile Radius:

Prior to February 2013 - 8

As of 12/11/13 - 56

I've posted 48

Greenwood, SC - Population 23,222 at the 2010 census.

10 Mile Radius:

Prior to February 2013 - 15

As of 12/11/2013 - 36

I've posted 21

Does this count for anything? Maybe a SMALL cup of Coffee?

Okay, a tiny cup. :anibad:

Well done!

Another one from me: Windisch, AG, Switzerland.

Waymarks ten days ago: 0

Waymarks today: 17 (plus 6 waiting for approval).

Not bad for a 90 minutes visit B)

A small problem: the town has not 10K inhabitants today, only about 6,800.

But it had over 10,000 in the first century AD. There are no numbers available, but the Romans extended the amphitheater from 9,000 to 11,000 seats around the year 50; they would not have done this if there were not enough people around.

Does this count? :unsure:

Your challenge inspired me to do something I've meant to do for a while.

I returned to the town I grew up in - Sale in Greater Manchester, UK. It had a population of 55,234 in the census of 2001 and until I visited it zero waymarks.

20 have now been accepted, including 4 new categories for me, and I've got more on the way. A selection of them are listed below.

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMJMA6_Sale_UK

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMJQZF_Combined_World_War_I_And_World_War_II_Memorial_Sale_UK

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMJKPM_Bridge_Inn_Dane_Road_Sale_UK

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMJKNZ_Dr_Whites_Bridge_on_Bridgewater_Canal_Sale_UK

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMJKN3_Dane_Road_Station_Sale_UK

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMJKPX_Priory_Gardens_Sale_UK

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMJKX5_Sale_Water_Park_Cable_Stay_Bridge_Sale_UK

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMJM9H_Sale_Bridge_on_Bridgewater_Canal_Sale_UK

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMJM94_Sale_Station_Sale_UK

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMJM4V_Victorian_Post_Box_Broad_Road_Sale_UK

Thanks for the challenge, I enjoyed re-visiting my home town.

I've got a huge back log of way marks to post, but at some point I'm going to go back to the nearby town where I had my first job. It had a population of 11,049 in the census of 2001.

Dave

And today, working our way through the vacation pictures, we have ANOTHER 10/10K challenge town for the Lumbricus Challenge :)

I will reveal it when I get my 10th WM approval, cuz Blasterz are not competitive ha ha :) But -- maybe it will be obvious to the reviewers first??? bwah ha ha ha

:omnomnom::laughing::antenna:

Here is my list of categories (so far) -- and now you know my secret city, Andreas LOL :)

Gargoyles

Epic Beings and Creatures

U. S. National Register of Historic Places

Texas Historical Markers

Hall of Fame

Courthouses

U. S. Benchmarks

Civil Defense Fallout Shelters

Anchors

Bells

Dated Buildings and Cornerstones

U. S. Post Offices

Outdoor Stations of the Cross

Episcopal Churches

Labyrinths

Signs of History

Worldwide Cemeteries

Woodmen of the World

Grave of a Famous Person

First of its Kind

History Museums

Converted Fountains

We got several WMs approved in our 10th category last night, so I can reveal the city: Uvalde TX, a lovely town west of San Antonio on the US 90 with a population of 16,000+ in 2010. I was shocked that Uvalde had ZERO waymarks before we blew into town.

Uvalde is well known among older Texans as the hometown of John Nance "Cactus Jack" Garner, FDR's Vice President from 1933-1941 -- the first US Vice President from Texas. Nowadays Uvalde is more famous for being the hometown of uber-hunky actor Matthew McConaughey :)

SO -- here are our 10 challenge waymarks in 10 separate categories (with a few bonus WMs just for grins):

WMPJPY Gargoyles Uvalde Grand Opera House Chimera -- Uvalde TX

WMPJPZ Epic Beings and Creatures Dragon -- The Uvalde Grand Opera House, Uvalde TX

WMPJQ7 Hall of Fame Uvalde Walk of Fame -- Uvalde TX

WMPJQD U. S. Benchmarks AY1368 V 482 -- Uvalde TX

WMPJQG Civil Defense Fallout Shelters US Post Office -- Uvalde TX

WMPJQM Anchors USS UVALDE (AKA-88) Anchor -- Uvalde TX

WMPJQP Bells USS UVALDE (AKA-88) Bell -- Uvalde TX

WMPJQT Dated Buildings and Cornerstones 1915 -- US Post Office -- Uvalde TX

WMPJRB Episcopal Churches St. Phillips Episcopal Church -- Uvalde TX

WMPJRE Labyrinths St. Phillips Episcopal Church -- Uvalde TX

WMPJRP Worldwide Cemeteries Uvalde Cemetery -- Uvalde TX

WMPJRH Woodmen of the World Hansel W. House -- Uvalde Cemetery, Uvalde TX

WMPJRT Grave of a Famous Person John Nance Garner -- Uvalde Cemetery, Uvalde TX

WMPJTB News Article Locations "Givens: Cotton Road led to the back door of the Confederacy" -- Uvalde TX

WMPJT9 Ancient Traces and Roads The Cotton Road -- Uvalde TX

We are awaiting approvals for WMs submitted in the following categories:

U. S. National Register of Historic Places

Texas Historical Markers

Courthouses

U. S. Post Offices

Outdoor Stations of the Cross

First of its Kind

History Museums

Converted Fountains

Signs of History

This has been a fun challenge, as always :) Thank you Lumbricus for thinking it up :) :) We love these kinds of games within a game :)

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

Way to GO!! I remember seeing the Big Lake exit off the I-90 when I was on my way to Fargo from Minneapolis. I went benchmarking in the lovely town of Monticello :)

So what is your NEXT MN town to do the challenge? :)

Thanks for the kind words.

I have photos for another waymark in Big Lake, a Lutheran church, but lost the coordinates when my GPS died.

There's also a big city park that I am interested in Waymarking, because it is difficult to find a legal way in. Maybe the animal hospital. There's a bowling alley, if only I could find out how many lanes. And I thought I was doing a U.S. benchmark, but it was one in Groundspeak's database.

For potential projects, there's a big juicy target where I have geocached, but it requires a long drive. I think I may try to bulk up Sartell. There are 4 waymarks there, but they are all mine.

Two disappointments: Robbinsdale and Worthington each have ONE waymark.

1 hour ago, PISA-caching said:

I love challenges and fortunately I found a good candidate: The town Amstetten in Lower Austria has a population of 23,621 and didn't have one waymark until a few days ago. During my visit I took more than 200 photos and it will take some time to create all the waymarks that I want, but today I fulfill the challenge.

Waymarks in Amstetten

Perfect! Well done, very nice waymarks. :drama:

44 minutes ago, lumbricus said:

Tom, Ravenna was wonderful. This year we will visit Ravenna again. This region of Italy is very quite if it comes to Waymarking and Geocaching. I hosted a Geocaching event about 30 minutes away on a beach and had only 1 - one - attende. 

I sent you an email - hope you received it.  I'm way too much of a history person not to know Ravenna.  I'm really jealous.  Ah well, I guess I'll settle for my trip to Santa Fe, NM, later this year and and drown my sorrow with my consumption of green chile burritos! ( and the art, and the history, and the waymarks!)  Thanks for sharing those waymarks!    

Ever since it was posted I ignored this challenge, solely because I couldn't for the life of me think of a town of 10,000 or more that had no waymarks when we arrived. Tonight, idly browsing potential towns, I came across one that amazed me for the simple reason that there was nary a Waymark there before BK-Hunters hit town. Where is this magical place, I hear you ask?

It's waaaay up in Northern Alberta, the place known for possessing the largest recoverable reserves of oil in the world - Fort McMurray, population 61,374 in 2011, more now. I simply didn't realize that no one had Waymarked here before us.

Check out the last item on the list - it is gargantuan!!!

Wikipedia Entries - Fort McMurray, Alberta

Old Tractors - Steam Tractor - Fort McMurray, Alberta

History Museums - Heritage Park - Fort McMurray, Alberta

Official Local Tourism Attractions - Heritage Park - Fort McMurray, Alberta

This Old Church - St. Jean-Baptiste Catholic Mission - Fort McMurray, Alberta

Roman Catholic Churches - St. Jean-Baptiste Catholic Mission - Fort McMurray, Alberta

Relocated Structures - St. Jean-Baptiste Catholic Mission - Fort McMurray, Alberta

Landlocked Boats - Radium Scout - Fort McMurray, Alberta

Science Museums - Oil Sands Discovery Centre - Fort McMurray, Alberta

Web Cameras - Airport Northwest WXCam - Fort McMurray, AB

Roadside Attractions - Buffalo - Fort McMurray, Alberta

Relief Art Sculptures - Bison - Fort McMurray, Alberta

Preserved Machines on Public Display - Krupp Bucket Wheel Excavator - Fort McMurray, Alberta

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters
On ‎02‎.‎04‎.‎2013 at 5:07 PM, Tante.Hossi said:

Starting at a Waymark count of 0 is hard. I would have two own examples when I have started at a Waymark count of 1.

If starting with 0 was hard in 2013, what is it in 2017? ;-) Well, yes, it's still hard, but if it was easy, it wouldn't be a challenge, right? Some days ago I found another candidate and we made a day-trip to xxxxx. :-) Unfortunately we had only a few hours before the sun disappeared (and I'm not good at taking photos at night), but I think that I will soon have a list of 10 (or more) approved waymarks. Stay tuned. :-)

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

If starting with 0 was hard in 2013, what is it in 2017? ;-) Well, yes, it's still hard, but if it was easy, it wouldn't be a challenge, right? Some days ago I found another candidate and we made a day-trip to xxxxx. :-) Unfortunately we had only a few hours before the sun disappeared (and I'm not good at taking photos at night), but I think that I will soon have a list of 10 (or more) approved waymarks. Stay tuned. :-)

I wait breathlessly!

17 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

If starting with 0 was hard in 2013, what is it in 2017? ;-) Well, yes, it's still hard, but if it was easy, it wouldn't be a challenge, right? Some days ago I found another candidate and we made a day-trip to xxxxx. :-)

I see you had to go about 160 kliks for that one - THATS dedication!!!

Keith

Just found one, I had not noticed: Aarau, population 20,782 at the 2016 census.

I had not noticed it, because I visited it several times, always very short stop-overs.

2014, 0 waymarks.

I created one in 2014, 12 in 2015, 7 in 2016. Now I was there for a bit longer: six approved so far, many more coming.

5 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

I see you had to go about 160 kliks for that one - THATS dedication!!!

Keith

That's right. It's the town of Steyr (38,324 inhabitants) and it's around 160km from Vienna, where I live. We went there by train to visit the Christmas market. Meanwhile 11 waymarks are approved, but there is more to come (including another Lucky 7 waymark, that I will create in the end).

Edited by PISA-caching

WOW! You got some really good categories there. Now go back and get the other 1,500 that must be waiting...;)

It just occured to me - given that there are no other WMs there and it's a good sized town you might have a chance for a Tally=30 Lucky 7. This is something I've been seeking for five years now. Closest we've come is 28. Good Luck. I hope you find one!!!

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters

As far as I can remember it was my very first visit of that town and I was surprised and impressed of the many beautiful buildings and yes, there are many more waymarks. In some streets there are 10 or more houses in a row that are all Austrian Heritage. They have bridges, a river confluence, a big clock with signs of Zodiac and the list goes on and on. However, I think I will wait until spring to go there again. I will need a lot of daylight time to take all the photos. :-)

A Lucky 7 waymark with a tally of 30 would be great, but I think I need some preparation for that. Animals is the toughest department, but until spring I will have found something.

Andreas

On ‎30‎.‎11‎.‎2017 at 2:00 AM, BK-Hunters said:

.... you might have a chance for a Tally=30 Lucky 7...

Since I read this posting I've been working on this task and it seems that I have a good chance to find all the necessary waymarks in a small area. While I was going through the waymarks I already created I noticed one that I would like to move to a different location. It's not that I have to do it, but I found a better spot to start from. It's a Self Guided Walks and Trails waymark in the form of an "8" and I would like to use the center point, rather than somewhere at the lower circle (where it is now).

My question is: If I go to the new spot, take more photos and make one of these photos the new default photo and if nobody has visited that waymark so far, is it ok to change the coordinates? The distance between old and new coordinates would be like 200 meters.

4 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Since I read this posting I've been working on this task and it seems that I have a good chance to find all the necessary waymarks in a small area. While I was going through the waymarks I already created I noticed one that I would like to move to a different location. It's not that I have to do it, but I found a better spot to start from. It's a Self Guided Walks and Trails waymark in the form of an "8" and I would like to use the center point, rather than somewhere at the lower circle (where it is now).

My question is: If I go to the new spot, take more photos and make one of these photos the new default photo and if nobody has visited that waymark so far, is it ok to change the coordinates? The distance between old and new coordinates would be like 200 meters.

Are the stops numbered or intended to be visited in a certain order? If, yes, then the coordinates should be near the "beginning". 

If the stops along the trail can be read and enjoyed independent of each other, then you could start anywhere on the "8". 

Unless this "breaks" some existing Lucky 7, then I'd consider this central start point an OK change. Giving visitors the choice of walking either circle or both makes good sense.

To give your visitors more option in walking the trail, it might be nice to include the coordinates of the outward points of the two circles (Friedhof and Schiffmeisterhaus) of the "8" to give the option of visitors taking the tour from either extreme point.

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, DougK said:

Are the stops numbered or intended to be visited in a certain order? If, yes, then the coordinates should be near the "beginning". 

If the stops along the trail can be read and enjoyed independent of each other, then you could start anywhere on the "8". 

Unless this "breaks" some existing Lucky 7, then I'd consider this central start point an OK change. Giving visitors the choice of walking either circle or both makes good sense.

To give your visitors more option in walking the trail, it might be nice to include the coordinates of the outward points of the two circles (Friedhof and Schiffmeisterhaus) of the "8" to give the option of visitors taking the tour from either extreme point.

The stops themselves are not numbered (at least I couldn't find any numbers for the stops), but the sights explained on the panels are numbered. I will have to see, if the sight numbers start with 1 at the center or somewhere on the way. Either way, I think the center point is the best option for the coordinates, but the idea for adding the top and bottom coordinates is great. I will do that soon.

There's no need to change anything as the requirements say:

"Find at least seven Waymarks in close proximity of a given point of your choosing."

Unless, of course, you need to do this to make it fit within the required 161 metre radius.

You can make any location or set of coordinates you choose become the centre of your Lucky 7.

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters
22 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

There's no need to change anything as the requirements say:

"Find at least seven Waymarks in close proximity of a given point of your choosing."

Unless, of course, you need to do this to make it fit within the required 161 metre radius.

You can make any location or set of coordinates you choose become the centre of your Lucky 7.

Thank you, but I wasn't talking about moving the center of my future Lucky 7 waymark. I was talking about the starting point for this Self Guided Walks and Trails waymark. I admit, that moving its starting coordinates will bring it into the 160 metre radius, but I might as well find another Recreation waymark. The main reason for moving the coordinates is that the walk consists of a northern and a southern slope. During our first trip to Steyr we just took photos of a station on the southern slope and I think it would be best to have the coordinates at the point where northern and southern slopes meet.

As far as the Lucky 7 - tally 30 project: At the beginning I even had two center points and it took quite a while until I noticed which of the two had the better chances for a tally of 30. Right now I'm making a list of the waymarks I need for the first Lucky 7 waymark and once I'm finished I will check, if I can also find enough waymarks for a second one, but the chances seem to be pretty slim to have 2 Lucky 7 - tally 30 waymarks in Steyr. But even one would be great and I hope that everything I find online will still be there in spring. :-)

when this challenge was posted nearly 6 years ago it would have difficult to do in Canada and (i suspect across most of the eastern USA). It is now almost impossible in Canada. I just searched  a list of over 150 "census areas" in Canada (towns and cities) with populations >10,000. I found 1 that still has zero waymarks. It is a long way from home, over 1000kms (600 miles) away. Even if the pop. size requirement was lowered to 2000 people I think there would be very few locations in Canada that qualify.

• Upvote 1
On ‎15‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 8:06 AM, BK-Hunters said:

WOW!! Even having a shot at a 30 is something I've dreamed of for years. It just never seems to work out. Right now I have 499 and none of them, unless I missed something important, even comes close.

What is the hardest department in your part of the world? For me it is "Measurement Standards" and somtimes "Animals". In the current project I have two Measurements in the better area (a river gauge and a European Historic Survey Stone), but none (so far) in the other area I'm working on. On the other hand it was tough to find an Animals waymark in the better area, but by moving the center point a little I was able to include a fish ladder. :-)

14 hours ago, Bon Echo said:

when this challenge was posted nearly 6 years ago it would have difficult to do in Canada and (i suspect across most of the eastern USA). It is now almost impossible in Canada. I just searched  a list of over 150 "census areas" in Canada (towns and cities) with populations >10,000. I found 1 that still has zero waymarks. It is a long way from home, over 1000kms (600 miles) away. Even if the pop. size requirement was lowered to 2000 people I think there would be very few locations in Canada that qualify.

If you can't make it in Canada, plan some vacations in Austria. :-) I'm sure I can find some towns that have more than 10000 inhabitants and no waymark at all. To pick just one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ternitz has 14,823 inhabitants and not one waymark. And, if you visit Vienna, you can take a train to Ternitz and it takes less than an hour to get there.

Edited by PISA-caching
5 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

What is the hardest department in your part of the world? For me it is "Measurement Standards" and somtimes "Animals". In the current project I have two Measurements in the better area (a river gauge and a European Historic Survey Stone), but none (so far) in the other area I'm working on. On the other hand it was tough to find an Animals waymark in the better area, but by moving the center point a little I was able to include a fish ladder. :-)

Prime Meridian locations. none in the western hemisphere!

1 hour ago, vulture1957 said:

Prime Meridian locations. none in the western hemisphere!

I think he meant "Departments" and not Categories. There are 15 departments, shown at the top of the page here: http://www.Waymarking.com/categories.aspx

In the Great Lakes region of Canada / USA I don't think any departments are hard to get. Animals, Oddities and Waymarking Multifarious and less common but those also have the fewest categories within their departments.

As far as categories that are only in the one part of the world, I suspect there are more that are USA-only or North America-only than in any other part of the world. I can think of a bunch not including the many state historical markers and benchmark categories. Underground Railway Sites, woodmen of the world, etc.

13 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

What is the hardest department in your part of the world? For me it is "Measurement Standards" and somtimes "Animals".

Definitely Animals. Though I have a few, most are well away from other departments. Measurement Standards are almost as common as dirt here.

Oh cool - I started a new page.

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters