Waymarking Challenge

Hi there,

the first time you hear about Waymarking you will check out your home town for Waymarks. If there are 0 you normally would think: "Pff, what's that, and you will surf to the next website.

Here is the challenge:

Pick up a town/city with a population with more than 10,000 and no single Waymark.

E.g.: Miesbach

8693224e-f96d-49ea-8bf9-905d2791c043.jpg?rnd=0.02601737

Go to the city and create a minimum of 10 great Waymarks (20 will give you an extra credit).

If these 10/20 Waymarks are published, post it here in the forum; after that I will give you the permission to have a coffee and perhaps a cookie, depends on the quality of the quality of your wms. :anibad:

I will go to Miesbach this morning,

read you later,

-lumbricus

I'll keep that in mind on my travels. I just chose a random sample of towns & did a search after checking population & remembering the quirks this site suffers from when searching in OZ. Overall Waymarking isn't strong here so Queensland towns of Dalby (10000-12000 people), Emerald (12895), Warwick (12500) have no waymarks but are 1000Ks away so wont rush out the door. Places with low numbers include: Toowoomba QLD (131,000) with 13. Armidale NSW (25000) has 1 & this only approved last month. Tamworth NSW (47000) this site said none but there are 3. Launceston Tasmania (100,000) has 1. All checked within 10Ks.

Plenty of opportunities for locals & travellers alike. Prefer tea & biscuits.

I double-failed: Altenbeken has a population of only 9.204 and I only managed to do six waymarks (given they'll all be approved). Could've been two more, but the photos turned out to be unsatisfactory. But then, I only had 30 minutes time when changing trains, so that makes one every five minutes... :laughing:

DOH!! We thought we accomplished the challenge and didn't even know it!

Atchison KS, pop 10,943

0 waymarks when we hit town -- 15 (and counting) posted by us . . . And then we saw one guy posted 1 boat ramp in town!!

Starting over now -- after we finish in Atchison!! Ha!!

This challenge is not as easy as it seems.

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

I finally have one in the pipeline but am not sure about the number of waymarks in the end yet.

Too bad it started now, I found at least twelve towns that would have qualified when you posted this some years ago.

Do I get twelve cups of cold coffee now? :laughing:

:D And what about cities above 1 million? (#Turkey) Like in last couple of months Ankara has became from 0 WMK city to turkey's capital of Waymarking with biggest WMKs density... and now i'm working on Istanbul (I'm proud of myself to move Turkey to Waymarking TOP30 country list)

...but if this challenge works from 2 April - ok - i'll find another city for "carpet bombing" (thanks benchamrk blasters for terminology :D )

I double-failed: Altenbeken has a population of only 9.204 and I only managed to do six waymarks (given they'll all be approved). Could've been two more, but the photos turned out to be unsatisfactory. But then, I only had 30 minutes time when changing trains, so that makes one every five minutes... :laughing:

Atchison KS, pop 10,943

0 waymarks when we hit town -- 15 (and counting) posted by us . . . And then we saw one guy posted 1 boat ramp in town!!

...and one ONION who has posted a couple in the Mt. Vernon Cemetery in Atchison previously. John Martin is buried there who was the colonel of the 8th Kansas - this was the Kansas unit that fought the furthest from home and actually fought with Sherman in lifting the siege at Chattanooga. John Martn was given a brevet Brigadier's commission after the war and became a Governor of the Great State of Kansas...

Giving you trouble Blasterz as you have cut a swath of Waymarking posting (and visiting also!)up through my home state (including my home town) the last few days. My inbox might never recover!!!! Hope you enjoyed the Sunflower State as I did your home area of Texas a couple of weeks ago. :laughing:

You might try somewhere in North Dakota - oh wait, do they have any towns over 10,000?

I will accept your challenge when I am finished carpet bombing Atchison KS -- ha ha

Where once was one (a boat ramp) now there are 57 [pending 22 approvals as of 5 Apr 2013-- :)] in the following categories:

Signs of History

Moving Bridges

Railroad Bridges

Truss Bridges

History Museums

Train Stations/Depots

Railroad Museums

Kansas Historic Markers

US Benchmarks

Former schools

Figurative Public Sculptures

Occupational Monuments

Childhood Homes

Historic Upping Stones, Carriage Blocks and Hitching Posts

US National Register of Historic Places

Non-Specific Veterans Memorials

NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings

Citizen Memorials

Abraham Lincoln

Courthouses

Independent Bakeries

Independent Doughnut Shops

Pony Express Monuments

Town Clocks

Last of its Kind

Dated Buildings and Cornerstones

Legion Posts and Branches

Barns

Confluences

You are Here

Tourist Information Centers

Railway Disaster Sites

Lewis & Clark Trail

Police Memorials

Firefighter Memorials

AND ATCHISON IS NOT WAYMARKED OUT!!!

While we did do a lot of WMs here, we left a lot of meat on the bones yet for hungry WMers to gnaw on. :lol:

There are several more historic markers in town, a union depot, a beautiful Catholic college, some former schools, more churches, Atchison City Hall, HITCHING POSTS and many more buildings in the Earhart historic District or that are National Register properties [<-- hint hint, iconions :)] US benchmarks, water towers, another confluence, etc etc etc.

:) :) :) :) MANY THANKS to all the WM reviewers who helped us post these WMs. We appreciate all your efforts to review our WMs, and especially the decline comments we got that improved several submissions that were then approved. :) :) :) :)

Atchison KS, pop 10,943

...and one ONION who has posted a couple in the Mt. Vernon Cemetery in Atchison previously. John Martin is buried there who was the colonel of the 8th Kansas - this was the Kansas unit that fought the furthest from home and actually fought with Sherman in lifting the siege at Chattanooga. John Martn was given a brevet Brigadier's commission after the war and became a Governor of the Great State of Kansas...

Giving you trouble Blasterz as you have cut a swath of Waymarking posting (and visiting also!)up through my home state (including my home town) the last few days. My inbox might never recover!!!! Hope you enjoyed the Sunflower State as I did your home area of Texas a couple of weeks ago. :laughing:

You might try somewhere in North Dakota - oh wait, do they have any towns over 10,000?

You so funny Tom you make me cry -- :grin:

We Love Love LOVED the Sunflower State -- and we will be back soon!!! Blasterz are unanimous that we want to come back - maybe for a long weekend, maybe for a week. We shall see.

Hopefully the snow will be gone and the sunflowers out :) :) :)

Atchison KS, pop 10,943

Hey Tom -- we stole some of that post for 2 waymarks on the John A. Martin school in Atchison -- THANKS BUDDY!! So -- you gave us help, and not any trouble at all!!! :lol:

We gave you credit, of course!!! :)

I visited Brugg, AG; this town has about 10,500 inhabitants.

I had not planned the visit and was not prepared. I only spent about 45 minutes there, but I have submitted 11 waymarks until now and about 15 to 20 more to go.

I have to back back for longer soon; there are still hundreds of locations to post there.

Well I just did an analysis of all cities in Missouri with a population greater than 10k. There are 85 cities that qualify. There are only 2 that don't have any waymarks, both eastern suburbs of Kansas City. Only one of those does not have a waymark within 5 miles. There are 7 other cities that 1 or 2 waymarks but most of them have several within a 5 mile radius. One city, a northern suburb of St. Louis has 1 waymark by only 100 or so feet, the other side of the street would be out of the city.

There are 9 cities in North Dakota with over 10k population. Two don't have any waymarks... I will let you find out which 2 :rolleyes:

That's what I get for talking out of a certain oriface! Nice one, Bruce!

Well I just did an analysis of all cities in Missouri with a population greater than 10k. There are 85 cities that qualify. There are only 2 that don't have any waymarks, both eastern suburbs of Kansas City. Only one of those does not have a waymark within 5 miles. There are 7 other cities that 1 or 2 waymarks but most of them have several within a 5 mile radius. One city, a northern suburb of St. Louis has 1 waymark by only 100 or so feet, the other side of the street would be out of the city.

In the immortal words of Benchmark Blasterz - I figured I had "carpet-bombed" Kansas City and you and YoSam had taken care of the St' Louis environs. I obviously have fallen down on the job to have let 2 off the hook - LOL.

In the immortal words of Benchmark Blasterz - I figured I had "carpet-bombed" Kansas City and you and YoSam had taken care of the St' Louis environs. I obviously have fallen down on the job to have let 2 off the hook - LOL.

The two in the KC area are Blue Springs (population 52,575) no waymarks within 5 miles and Grain Valley (population 12,854), 3 waymarks within 5 miles.

The two in the KC area are Blue Springs (population 52,575) no waymarks within 5 miles and Grain Valley (population 12,854), 3 waymarks within 5 miles.

Thanks Bruce - I would have NEVER figured Blue Springs! Grain Valley - yes, it's somewhat away from town, but not Blue Springs since it's so close!

Hi there,

the first time you hear about Waymarking you will check out your home town for Waymarks. If there are 0 you normally would think: "Pff, what's that, and you will surf to the next website.

Here is the challenge:

Pick up a town/city with a population with more than 10,000 and no single Waymark.

Go to the city and create a minimum of 10 great Waymarks (20 will give you an extra credit).

If these 10/20 Waymarks are published, post it here in the forum; after that I will give you the permission to have a coffee and perhaps a cookie, depends on the quality of the quality of your wms. :anibad:

I will go to Miesbach this morning,

read you later,

-lumbricus

In the immortible worlds of FORMER President George W Bush: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

(no, really)

Our first 10:

WMH638 Historic Eats: Allen's Family Style Meals -- Sweetwater TX

WMH647 History Museums: WASP WWII Museum -- Sweetwater TX

WMH614 Texas Historic Markers: Nolan County

WMH640 Ghost signs: Walker/Smith Co. -- Sweetwater TX

WMH64C Orphan Bridges: T&P Railroad Bridge over SH 70 -- Sweetwater TX

WMH64D National Register of Historic Places: R. A. Ragland Building

WMH64E Fitness Trails: Newman Park Fitness Trail -- Sweetwater TX

WMH64G Specific Veteran Memorials: Co. E, 142nd Inf., TX 36th Inf. Div. -- Sweetwater TX

WMH66A Lions International Markers: Lions Clubhouse and Archives - Sweetwater TX

WMH66Q Historic Upping Stones, Hitching Posts, and Carriage Blocks: Central Fire Station Horse Trough -- Sweetwater TX

and 6 more so far:

WMH62D Lonely Chimneys: 1930s Cotton Oil Mill Chimney -- Sweetwater TX

WMH66K Closed Drive-In Theatres: Midway Drive-In -- Sweetwater TX

WMH68B Water Towers: Municipal Tank -- Sweetwater TX

WMH68J Vintage Movie Theatres: Texas Theater -- Sweetwater TX

WMH68R Neon Signs: Texas Theater -- Sweetwater TX

WMH68Z Outdoor Warning Sirens: Civil Defense Siren -- Sweetwater TX

And 29 more (different) categories to go!!! :)

No cookie for us = we'll have a nice German beer, please, Andreas. You buy the first round :lol: :lol: :lol:

We have identified one more Texas city that meets the challenge criteria.

Snyder TX.

FAIR WARNING to Texas-based waymarkers who want to complete this challenge: We will be taking Younger Blasters to see grandparents in Lubbock this summer, and Snyder is ON OUR WAY (and delays our arrival in Lubbock -- a positive!! Lubbock is not one of Mama Blasterz favorite TX places. It's a Wichita Falls-level place.)

Better get there first if you want Andreas to have a beer for YOU!! Ha ha :lol:

Been there, done that:

Herford, Germany, population 65,000

Waymarks until 11 April 2013: NONE

Waymarks to date: 19 for 13 different objects (some of them cross-posted)

And that's only the beginning - about 500 :yikes: photos for more wmks are waiting on my hard disk... :laughing:

Been there, done that:

Herford, Germany, population 65,000

Waymarks until 11 April 2013: NONE

Waymarks to date: 19 for 13 different objects (some of them cross-posted)

And that's only the beginning - about 500 :yikes: photos for more wmks are waiting on my hard disk... :laughing:

Great! Will you be in Koblenz at the Mega Event? I will buy you a beer there :grin:

My summer vacation took me to Sweden's tenth largest city, Norrköping. The city has a population of 87,247 inhabitants in 2010, out of a municipal total of 130,050 and 0 waymarks within 25 miles!

Here's a link to what I've created so far. It should gather new ones as they're approved.

Norrköping, Sweden

It's also given me a new appreciation for the E-W longitude problem, suffered by European waymarker. I had to re-edit most waymarks, multiple times to keep fixing the coordinates, close to twice as many edits as normal. It was easy to spot when it happened in my case, because the Google map would be showing all blue ocean in the Atlantic below Iceland.

It's also given me a new appreciation for the E-W longitude problem, suffered by European waymarker. I had to re-edit most waymarks, multiple times to keep fixing the coordinates, close to twice as many edits as normal. It was easy to spot when it happened in my case, because the Google map would be showing all blue ocean in the Atlantic below Iceland.

Welcome to the club! A couple of hundred waymarks more and you will be so used to it that you will automatically go back to correct the hemisphere, even in those rare cases when it was correct. :laughing:

Tennessee is already covered. Didn't find a town over 10,000 without a waymark within 10 miles (minimum setting). Fewest was three, so adding to the numbers would help. Seekers of TN Historical Signs category have helped "blanket" the state.

Back to the backlog of several hundred pictures to post from recent travels.