First Cache is the Deepest

Guest Chris Juricich

Guest Chris Juricich

Sorry-- just thought about Cat Stevens...

After some fine help from experienced geocachers from this messageboard, my son Jake and his friend David took a scant 1.25 mile drive toward the SF Bay near the Berkeley Marina to scout out our first cache.

Despite some false starts (my eTrex insisted according to the numbers that we were only 15 feet away at one time), both boys taking turns with the unit, we took a break near the water and I resolved to return the boys home and to return on my own.

I pressed the GOTO on the waypoint one more time and started following, angling my near bare feet through thorny plants and other sharp weeds, and the boys brought up the rear with their enthusiasm as my unit's numbers dropped lower and lower-- we were excited!-- until we reached...zero!

"Look around!" I cajoled, and within seconds they spotted it in the high grasses, hidden in a small dugout hole.

Yeah, baby!!

Did some exchange, wrote in the log... walked away happy and feeling joyous! And they both want to give it a whirl again next week!

Guest PneumaticDeath

Hey Chris,

I was just at that one yesterday. I'm the one who left the compass/magnifier/binocular toy.

I had to hunt for quite a while on that one, The tall grass makes it more challenging than the terrain would suggest.

How did you approach this one? Did you stay by the water until you were directly noth of it, or did you zig-zag your way in?

Welcome to the sport!

-- Mitch (mrp on geocaching.com)

Guest Chris Juricich

The patch of ground is roughly square with the 'north' side facing water and the service road, while the other three are bound by the road facing the Marina, 880, and the road leading to the entire Marina.

Even though the map star indicated that the actual cache location was closest to the water side, I nonetheless opted to park off the Marina facing road.

Entered moving steadily East toward the freeway, got some confused readings as I noticed my 'counter' gradually dip down to whatever low number... then some circling... and then nothing. Walked along the side of 880 till I reached the little service road that faced on the water. At that point I reentered the GOTO command for the waypoint I'd entered for the 'Trifecta'-- and from that point, other than a brief hiatus waiting for the two kids to catch up, we closed in on it pretty quickly!

In simpler terms, we started at the farthest end and went in a big circle of the area till we reached it.

Great fun!