New geocache family and not suceeding:(

pomeroymom

My 3 kiddos and I started to geocache today in Yorba Linda, Placentia, and Orange. We went to 5 different locations and did not find a thing. I know that my kids will love this, but they are getting disappointed. Can anyone recommend a larger, easy to find cache in the Yorba Linda/ Placentia area? I'd love to get them more excited by helping them to find their first cache.

When looking at caches near you, look for recently FOUND "Traditional's"

Then filter that list down by Large and regular sizes.

Pick a few, then read the past logs, you may find hint's past finders have left, such as Almost tripped over it (so it's low)

or Glad my hubby is tall (It's up high) Etc....

Good luck from Ontario,Canada

Look for geocaches with a one star difficulty. These hides will take you to the easy caches. Also, if you can't find a cache, email the cache owner, explain you're new at caching and most cache owners will be happy to nudge you in the right direction.

The first cache my husband and I found was under a lamppost skirt in a parking lot at a truck stop. It was a difficulty rating of 1 but at the time it seemed like the most ingenious thing in the world to us.

I've done some caching in Orange County. I'm looking over finds I've made, here's one, GC1MC74 Ten steps to the light. This was within our first 20 finds. It's in Old Town Orange, about a block up N. Glassell from the circle. Once you get to ground zero, the title gives it away. If you give this one a shot and can't find it, I'd be more than happy to help, message me privately.

Orange County has tons of great caches for you and your family. Good luck!

My 3 kiddos and I started to geocache today in Yorba Linda, Placentia, and Orange. We went to 5 different locations and did not find a thing. I know that my kids will love this, but they are getting disappointed. Can anyone recommend a larger, easy to find cache in the Yorba Linda/ Placentia area? I'd love to get them more excited by helping them to find their first cache.

What they said...

Also this: go find a cache or two on your own so you KNOW you'll succeed, then take the kids out and act surprised and delighted when they find their first cache (with a little steering from you if necessary.)

What they said...

Also this: go find a cache or two on your own so you KNOW you'll succeed, then take the kids out and act surprised and delighted when they find their first cache (with a little steering from you if necessary.)

Also keep in mind that when you get to the location, it won't be sitting right there or always just under a rock. People are very creative in this game and you have to look for magnets, stuff camo'd into the surrounding, etc etc

The thrill of the hunt is fun, but I get what you are saying about keeping the kids motivated. : )

The advice here is great! Here's my tip: when you get to the location and you are searching, look for things that are out of the ordinary/don't add up. Does that fence post have an extra bolt that none of the others have? Is there an odd shape or color difference in the foliage? Is there a pine cone in a sycamore tree? Would a bunch of rocks be piled that conspicously in nature? Instead of getting selective attention searching for a hidden container, open your eyes a little wider and eventually those subtle differences will stick out more and caching will get easier. Good luck! :lol:

You might want to see if there are any events near you. This is a good way to meet other geocachers and pick up some tips or maybe find someone to go out with a few times.

I just went to the MOGA (Midwest Open Geocaching Adventure) which had over 900 attendees. During a 2 day period, I went from 19 finds to 57...a lot while tagging along with other more experienced people and I learned a lot!

Watch for signs of other cachers - like footprints, trampled grass, open spots in bushes etc. Look for magnetics around signs or guard rails (though the one I found was hidden inside a hole in a guard rail post) or phone booths. If you think it's in a tree - walk around it and look in both directions. One cache I found early on when I first started I was about to walk away from until I turned around and went the other way and it was right there. Couldn't believe I almost missed it. At the MOGA, one was hidden in the hole of a concrete parking block. Never ending ways of hiding these things.

Hang in there. Us newbies will someday get up to the status of the more experienced. :)

I often cache without the kids and take note of the ones they would find easily and bring them back - its cheating I know but the kids are none the wiser :D:rolleyes: - I also pepper the caches with things they like. Some basic preparation on our trips go a long way - decide on an area to have lunch and be prepared with bbq etc, take lots of food and other things to do in case it doesn't turn out to be a good day caching. Arrange to meet friends with kids on the way. Keep it up - I find that most of the great caches are out of the burbs and being well prepared to keep them busy frisbies, balls etc makes a happier day all round. :D

Checked out the first suggestion - good "specs" (8 favorites, not-too-tough, not a micro, etc.). Unfortunately, it was last found in January, and a recent DNF said:

Looked for 20 mins, even came back with friends, couldn't find it. Is it still here?

:(