FTF Stat

Where can you look to see how many FTF caches you have found is there a stat / record somewhere on the site.

The site can't keep track of FTFs because there isn't a facility for verifying who found a cache first. Those that want to play the FTF side game, and want to keep track of how many they have must manage their list themselves. Some use the bookmark feature, some just edit their profile page, while others use one of the waypoint managers that allows one to self-declare that they were FTF on a specific cache. There is no central authority regarding guidelines or rules for the FTF game, nor is there a central location where FTF stats are kept. The most you can expect are local conventions followed by your local geocaching community for how the game "should" be played.

Where can you look to see how many FTF caches you have found is there a stat / record somewhere on the site.

The site can't keep track of FTFs because there isn't a facility for verifying who found a cache first. Those that want to play the FTF side game, and want to keep track of how many they have must manage their list themselves. Some use the bookmark feature, some just edit their profile page, while others use one of the waypoint managers that allows one to self-declare that they were FTF on a specific cache. There is no central authority regarding guidelines or rules for the FTF game, nor is there a central location where FTF stats are kept. The most you can expect are local conventions followed by your local geocaching community for how the game "should" be played.

^Well said.

There is a way to output stats via GSAK, but I have no idea how to do that.

FTF is a side game of Geocaching. If you signed the log first, you are the FTF. Create a bookmark list to keep track if you like.

^Well said.

There is a way to output stats via GSAK, but I have no idea how to do that.

FTF is a side game of Geocaching. If you signed the log first, you are the FTF. Create a bookmark list to keep track if you like.

You can add a "FTF" field in a GSAK database that allows you to put a check mark for every cache for which you're claiming FTF. Then you can use the FindStatsGen macro to produce a stats page (which you can optionally include on your profile page). Other mechanism will recognize a specified string (i.e. FTF!) that you can put in your online log to count them. The thing is, there is nothing stopping someone else from also claiming FTF on the same cache and that's often where the drama starts.

If you didn't take the FTF code from the cache when you found it, someone else may have claimed your FTF. Sorry! :sad:

YES!

Absolutely be sure to grab the FTF code out of the cache when you find it!

Otherwise, you're screwed. :(

Don't forget, you can also buy the codes on flea-bay. Sometimes they are packaged with Jeep Travel Bugs.

If you didn't take the FTF code from the cache when you found it, someone else may have claimed your FTF. Sorry! :sad:

YES!

Don't listen to this mean spirited nonsense.

Yeah...you know, why do folks have to make fun? There are plenty of folks who make fun of geocaching in general yet they see nothing wrong with the game. Why criticize others for adding another element to the game?

As to the OP...I think you have to go to a third-party site to get stats since GC doesn't track that stuff. On the Project GC site there's an FTF stat:

FTF List

Here you can list your FTFs. Maybe you have tagged more of them in GSAK but missed to tag the online log.

It's required that your FTF log entries are tagged with one of these: {*FTF*} {FTF} (FTF).

To the OP, there is NO OFFICIAL stat for FTF. It is a side game/personal stat that some people care to play and keep track. Many do not care about this. If you want to keep track, you could simply start a spreadsheet of your own or use one of the suggested data trackers mentioned above. As noted, some of those data trackers require you to log the FTF abbreviation in your logs for it to be counted. If you spell it out, the data tracker won't catch that one, and if you were to write "Missed the FTF by 30 minutes, congrats to ____" in your log, that one would count.

To the OP, there is NO OFFICIAL stat for FTF. It is a side game/personal stat that some people care to play and keep track. Many do not care about this. If you want to keep track, you could simply start a spreadsheet of your own or use one of the suggested data trackers mentioned above. As noted, some of those data trackers require you to log the FTF abbreviation in your logs for it to be counted. If you spell it out, the data tracker won't catch that one, and if you were to write "Missed the FTF by 30 minutes, congrats to ____" in your log, that one would count.

Thank you a side game and personal stat

YES!

Don't forget, you can also buy the codes on flea-bay. Sometimes they are packaged with Jeep Travel Bugs.

lol! I can see them worth money to some people.

In the majority of FTFs, there is absolutely no skill involved to be there first. On a long hike, a well camoed hide, or difficult puzzle, it might be worth bragging about, but on most caches it is only the first person to arrive, who may merely live across the street. I have no idea why this mostly meaningless stat must be trumpeted and made legit.

In the majority of FTFs, there is absolutely no skill involved to be there first. On a long hike, a well camoed hide, or difficult puzzle, it might be worth bragging about, but on most caches it is only the first person to arrive, who may merely live across the street. I have no idea why this mostly meaningless stat must be trumpeted and made legit.

It only seems to be the anti FTF brigade that are trumpeting! Quite some noise and well out of tune.

It only seems to be the anti FTF brigade that are trumpeting! Quite some noise and well out of tune.

If someone was against FTFs, they would be against any finds at all and that would be absurd. :rolleyes:

The fact is there is absolutely no skill involved in the majority of FTFs, other than happening to be the first person to arrive there.

Making such a non achievement "official" would be asinine. Add some difficulty to it and perhaps it should be recognized with a owner note on the page...like they already are.

I agree a long hike and you have to work to get the ftf that's a real ftf. I agree with you

Or if the CO's coordinates are off... Significantly. :lol:

(Or haven't placed the cache yet, as the reviewer is too quick!)

We are a very friendly close knit caching group around here. We may not all cache the same way and each may have their own little challenges and side interests. We may not always agree with each other but we respect each other.

Here is our little story about different side games.

There are a couple of retired cachers who love FTF and have some great stories to tell, which we all enjoy. MA and I don't go after FTF, but our little challenge is caching streaks. Our previous streak was 270 days which ended on a cruise and our current streak of 450 will end soon on another cruise. We also have some interesting stories about the challenge of continuing a streak in snowstorms.

Last Sunday we went to the monthly caching breakfast and chatted with one of the FTF cachers. We mentioned a new series of caches on a nearby trail and that we had walked over 6 kms to get the furthest cache in the series. We got a FTF on that cache and had walked past 10 other caches that would also have been FTF's. His only response was: WHY?

We didn't have to answer but of course the reason was that we are on a streak and will be returning daily to walk a long distance on the trail and pick up one cache a day.

To each his own.

Edited by Ma & Pa

Now this was the perfect reply! Where's the "like" button? :D

How about a stat for lamppost hides? They are quite popular also. A unique icon along with the info prominently displayed in your profile? :D

I notice that frequently there are those that scoop up all of the easy FTFs in an area, and they always have a list of them on their profile. These are also the same people who tend to stay away from the difficult ones. For some odd reason, the cachers that end up doing those usually don't make such a big deal out of it. :huh:

How about a stat for lamppost hides? They are quite popular also. A unique icon along with the info prominently displayed in your profile? :D

I notice that frequently there are those that scoop up all of the easy FTFs in an area, and they always have a list of them on their profile. These are also the same people who tend to stay away from the difficult ones. For some odd reason, the cachers that end up doing those usually don't make such a big deal out of it. :huh:

My comment was aimed towards those who come into a thread like this and immediately begin trying to belittle cachers who play the ftf game. Yes, this is a forum where opinions are shared, but this was a thread started to simply ask a question about how to look up ftf stats. It was not started to debate the ftf game. Everyone has a right to their opinions but they should keep them to themselves when they are off topic and not asked for. There would be no drama here at all if the haters kept their biased opinions out of threads like these.

My comment was aimed towards those who come into a thread like this and immediately begin trying to belittle cachers who play the ftf game. Yes, this is a forum where opinions are shared, but this was a thread started to simply ask a question about how to look up ftf stats. It was not started to debate the ftf game. Everyone has a right to their opinions but they should keep them to themselves when they are off topic and not asked for. There would be no drama here at all if the haters kept their biased opinions out of threads like these.

The FTF game is a great way to show enthusiasm for new cache hides, and to encourage more. it also is nice running into other cachers doing the same. There were so many cachers at one series I was at, that several considered it an impromptu event. It is also nice to see how the owner intended it originally before a hundred other people visit, and the CO is MIA. Not to mention any FTF prize. However the easy FTFs don't necessarily impress as many people as some cachers would like to imagine. That bubble of perception can break quite easily if you float it too high. :P

The FTF game is a great way to show enthusiasm for new cache hides, and to encourage more. it also is nice running into other cachers doing the same. There were so many cachers at one series I was at, that several considered it an impromptu event. It is also nice to see how the owner intended it originally before a hundred other people visit, and the CO is MIA. Not to mention any FTF prize. However the easy FTFs don't necessarily impress as many people as some cachers would like to imagine. That bubble of perception can break quite easily if you float it too high. :P

It would appear that you are actually championing the FTF cause.

You comment that getting the FTF doesn't always impress some people, especially when it is a cache that is just an easy cache and grab. Well just think how unimpressive it may be when there isn't even the FTF hunt to give it a bit of interest!

You comment that getting the FTF doesn't always impress some people, especially when it is a cache that is just an easy cache and grab. Well just think how unimpressive it may be when there isn't even the FTF hunt to give it a bit of interest!

The space of FTF championing is more complex than you would think. Note that you implicitly argue above that the FTF game makes boring caches more acceptable. Does that mean that the existence of FTF encourages people to hide boring caches? So are you in favor of it or not?

I personally enjoy the FTF game. I play a different variant than most, in that (1) I only go for FTFs that mean something to me (hard puzzle, long-time unfound, etc.) and (2) I eschew bragging about my FTFs. Some people think I am anti-FTF because I deplore the hyper-competitive aspects of the way some people play the FTF game. But I am not. In fact, I recently went to a great deal of trouble to get an FTF that meant something to me.

FTFs are semi-endorsed by Groundspeak, but are not an official part of the stats. That's as it should be. Groundspeak should be in the business of encouraging people to come up with interesting ways to make caching more fun. But official endorsement has the effect of distorting that process.

Imagine that FTFs were an "official" stat. Several unintended consequences would ensue. First, people would get even more competitive about their FTF numbers, and there would be a great deal more gamesmanship around it than there is now. Are you aware, for example, that some FTF hounds have made sock puppet accounts so that they can place caches and get the FTFs on them? Yes, it's pathetic. I agree. But making the FTF stat official would encourage that kind of behavior.

Second, the angst level around FTFs would skyrocket. There would be endless discussions in the forums about what the "rules" should be and the side game would go from a fun way to make caching more interesting into a constant debate about the rules. Heck, the constant demand for more hiding rules is already ridiculous; it would be even worse for FTFs.

Third, Groundspeak would have to come up with a good way to disassociate itself from illegal activities associated with the FTF game. Land managers might very well be concerned that the FTF game would encourage people to enter their land outside of legal hours in pursuit of an FTF. Groundspeak could end up with legal liability.

So IMO, Groundspeak has acted wisely in not making FTFs an official stat.

The space of FTF championing is more complex than you would think. Note that you implicitly argue above that the FTF game makes boring caches more acceptable. Does that mean that the existence of FTF encourages people to hide boring caches? So are you in favor of it or not?

I personally enjoy the FTF game. I play a different variant than most, in that (1) I only go for FTFs that mean something to me (hard puzzle, long-time unfound, etc.) and (2) I eschew bragging about my FTFs. Some people think I am anti-FTF because I deplore the hyper-competitive aspects of the way some people play the FTF game. But I am not. In fact, I recently went to a great deal of trouble to get an FTF that meant something to me.

FTFs are semi-endorsed by Groundspeak, but are not an official part of the stats. That's as it should be. Groundspeak should be in the business of encouraging people to come up with interesting ways to make caching more fun. But official endorsement has the effect of distorting that process.

Imagine that FTFs were an "official" stat. Several unintended consequences would ensue. First, people would get even more competitive about their FTF numbers, and there would be a great deal more gamesmanship around it than there is now. Are you aware, for example, that some FTF hounds have made sock puppet accounts so that they can place caches and get the FTFs on them? Yes, it's pathetic. I agree. But making the FTF stat official would encourage that kind of behavior.

Cyst ubiquitous

Second, the angst level around FTFs would skyrocket. There would be endless discussions in the forums about what the "rules" should be and the side game would go from a fun way to make caching more interesting into a constant debate about the rules. Heck, the constant demand for more hiding rules is already ridiculous; it would be even worse for FTFs.

Third, Groundspeak would have to come up with a good way to disassociate itself from illegal activities associated with the FTF game. Land managers might very well be concerned that the FTF game would encourage people to enter their land outside of legal hours in pursuit of an FTF. Groundspeak could end up with legal liability.

So IMO, Groundspeak has acted wisely in not making FTFs an official stat.

Love FTF s, just to make my position clear. I totally agree with your view that the more challenging or pleasant the quality of the find is, then the more rewarding the FTF.

I'm not sure it is a case of Groundspeak acting wisely about not making FTF s an official stat but rather the fact that it is an impossibility for them to ever involve themselves in the adjudication of such a stat. In fact they have never really involved themselves directly in deciding if a cache is actually officially found or not let alone assessing the actual order!

The problems with those programs that look for "FTF.... If your the 4th finder and you write, "congrats to JoeSchmo for his FTF", it screws it up.

I start my log with FTF @ xx:xx AM

You can then have the program search for "FTF @"

Ftf, in lower case, are the last three letters in most of my logs these days. This way it is unobtrusive (i'm not bragging about it) but it still allows me to use the gsak macro to list my ftfs.

To congratulate a cacher on getting an ftf, i usually go with something like this,,, "Congratulations to JoeSchmo on getting the firs to find!" I purposely leave out the t in first to be sure it doesn't get picked up by a program or macro.

Wait...there is a FTF code in a newly placed cache? I just had my first FTF today and I am tickled pink. It was quite the adventure. I signed on top of the log and took a picture of it...but was I supposed to do something else? lol...

Wait...there is a FTF code in a newly placed cache? I just had my first FTF today and I am tickled pink. It was quite the adventure. I signed on top of the log and took a picture of it...but was I supposed to do something else? lol...

If you read the rest of the posts after this bit, you will find that the "FTF code" for caches was a joke.

B.

If you read the rest of the posts after this bit, you will find that the "FTF code" for caches was a joke.

B.

But, should codes start to be used, I'm sure 'someone' will have a list of the codes to share around with those that haven't seen the cache.

:laughing:

You use Project Geocaching to track FTFs:

http://project-gc.com/Home/Overview

I log mine by putting {*FTF*} in the log. Picks it up every time.

Forgot to say that you can also track them in your profile by using:

http://www.mygeocachingprofile.com/default.aspx

Just have to add the code and it picks it up the next time you run a query for your finds.

Edited by GrateBear