Creating route in Google Earth for Garmin Nuvi 1450LMT

I want to create a route on my Garmin Nuvi 1450LMT that will get me close to a remote cache. I have set up a Path on Google Earth that will get me close to the cache with my vehicle. Any ideas how to save the the Google Earth Path (what format) and what folder to load it into on the Nuvi 1450. Thanks very much.

Google does not support direct transfer of routes to a Garmin. There are some 3rd party plugins that will reformat the Google route into a correct GPX route file that can be imported. Or you could create your route in Mapquest which does support route transfer to the nuvi.

Note that route import on a nuvi only imports the start, end and any explicitly set via points. It does not use shaping points that are not vias. The nuvi then recalculates the route using these points and the routing preferences and map you have on your nuvi. If you create a route in mapquest, be sure to change your via points to "stops" before you send the route to the nuvi (right click on each via point and on the pop-up menu select "Make this point a stop")

Edited by alandb

Google does not support direct transfer of routes to a Garmin. There are some 3rd party plugins that will reformat the Google route into a correct GPX route file that can be imported. Or you could create your route in Mapquest which does support route transfer to the nuvi.

Note that route import on a nuvi only imports the start, end and any explicitly set via points. It does not use shaping points that are not vias. The nuvi then recalculates the route using these points and the routing preferences and map you have on your nuvi. If you create a route in mapquest, be sure to change your via points to "stops" before you send the route to the nuvi (right click on each via point and on the pop-up menu select "Make this point a stop")

Thanks alandb for the info and advice. I will explore the Mapquest idea. I don't think shaping will be necessary and I will be sure to set via points and convert them to "stops". Since we still have nearly 3 feet of snow on the ground here in Upper Michigan, this will be a nice project to work on in preparation for the upcoming bare-ground caching season. Thanks again.