Cache Maintenance

I was curious to know how many cachers carry a repair kit with them. I carry several different size logs, plastic baggies and even some cheap containers (pill bottles, tubes etc), with me in my bag. Nothing is more frustrating than to see an owner maintenance needed post, "log was wet" or "log was full". I want to hide more caches to give my fellow players something to find, and I want them to hide more for me to find. So whenever I can, I do some quick maintenance. The question I ask myself is, "do I want other cachers spending time repairing a cache or hiding more new ones?" It also makes a more pleasant experience for the next to find.

I always carry spare logs and zip lock bags and have replaced many wet logs.

I have also received some nice thank you e-mails from cache owners.

Especially from Co with remote caches that they would have had to visit, if I hadn’t replaced the log book there and then

I also send an e-mail o the Co and offer to send the old wet log back to them if they want it

If I find a damp/full log, baggie with holes, or garbage instead of swag, I will replace those without a thought.

If things are moldy, or if the container is broken/leaking, or if I can see it's had a NM attribute for a while, I will sign the log as best as possible and leave. I've replaced a container exactly once, and that was after contacting the CO with the offer to do so. Chances are if the container is terrible, the hide is nothing special, and I'd rather see it eventually archived, leaving a spot for a more interesting hide/cammo/container, etc.

So the owner doing maintenance is now just considered fantasy. Just wondering if we have officially crossed over. (It was bound to happen eventually)

BD

I see it as helping out a friend. I would only consider fixing up special caches in remote locations or special builds.

Some caches are so great that they deserve to get the attention even if the CO can't immediately jump up and do it.

So the owner doing maintenance is now just considered fantasy. Just wondering if we have officially crossed over. (It was bound to happen eventually)

BD

I see it as helping out a friend. I would only consider fixing up special caches in remote locations or special builds.

Some caches are so great that they deserve to get the attention even if the CO can't immediately jump up and do it.

I have absolutely no problem with helping friends. I'll do you one better, I'll even help out an not so much of a friend as long as they are active and maintain their caches under normal circumstances. Difference is that I know the people who's cache I am maintaining.

Not just some random cache that the NM has been in place for over a year and the locals are wishing it would just die.

"Hey everybody, I fixed up your owner-less cache for you! Enjoy!"

Edited by BlueDeuce

BD

There's conflicting advice, though...when I first read anything at the forums, everyone agreed it was good to replace logs, bags, and containers. I would read cache logs and notes with that mentioned, too. Then there's the fear of posting a "NA" and having the locals' feathers get ruffled (especially true of a noob--what did I know about when to post a NA on someone else's cache?).

Opinion seems to be changing in favor of "owners are responsible for all maintenance," maybe because in that same time frame, the number of One-Day-Wonder cachers has spiked, and the number of absentee COs with it...

I've recently started to lean heavily toward posting NA logs when I see fit. If the CO isn't around and doesn't answer a reviewer's request to check on the cache, then it should go.

I've seen enough "needs maintenance" logs on caches that don't actually NEED maintenance, I'm not inclined to rush out to mine at first mention...although, to date, I have not received a single NM post on any of mine (except for one that was reported missing by a previous finder...so I deactivated it until I have a chance to go out there and check it out).

Treat each cache on its merits.

Active CO, generally good at maintenance, I will often try and help out. I carry logs, bags and even some containers all the time.

Non-active CO, no maintenance record then NM, wait 21 days then NA if no response.

If it's a micro chucked in a hedge with no other redeeming features I will never perform maintenance!

I've seen enough "needs maintenance" logs on caches that don't actually NEED maintenance, I'm not inclined to rush out to mine at first mention...although, to date, I have not received a single NM post on any of mine (except for one that was reported missing by a previous finder...so I deactivated it until I have a chance to go out there and check it out).

I find that if I mention a particular situation in my Found it, DNF, Note, that requires the attention of the owner it typically gets noticed and taken care. Even if it takes a few weeks.

If perhaps the owner didn't decide to acknowledge online and they let it slide a good six months I might post a NM to know they are aware of the situation.

But I don't go around and just fixed unmaintained caches as if being friends was more important than proper cache ownership.

Well we have become known as the cachemedics in our area. We look at the caches that we are going for and then look at what the logs say. If there is anything that we can fix then we prepare for it. Whether it be a new log to a new container.

Unfortunately this may just be a stop gap measure. If the cache owner is no longer active, or just plain fails to conduct maintenance, the cache will soon fall into disrepair again.

In some cases it may be better to post the NA log, and free up space for a cache that will be maintained by the owner.

BD

There's conflicting advice, though...when I first read anything at the forums, everyone agreed it was good to replace logs, bags, and containers. I would read cache logs and notes with that mentioned, too. Then there's the fear of posting a "NA" and having the locals' feathers get ruffled (especially true of a noob--what did I know about when to post a NA on someone else's cache?).

Opinion seems to be changing in favor of "owners are responsible for all maintenance," maybe because in that same time frame, the number of One-Day-Wonder cachers has spiked, and the number of absentee COs with it...

I've recently started to lean heavily toward posting NA logs when I see fit. If the CO isn't around and doesn't answer a reviewer's request to check on the cache, then it should go.

+1. I've seen many abandoned caches limp along.

Sometimes the "help" seems more about claiming a find. People throw down replacement caches to "help" and, replace logsheets on nanos/micros that have been abandoned to help, but for some people you wonder if it's a community service or more about getting a smiley. Often times the harder options, NM or NA are more of a community service.

Edited by L0ne R

Treat each cache on its merits.

Active CO, generally good at maintenance, I will often try and help out. I carry logs, bags and even some containers all the time.

Non-active CO, no maintenance record then NM, wait 21 days then NA if no response.

If it's a micro chucked in a hedge with no other redeeming features I will never perform maintenance!

+1

I have a whole section in my backpack for cache maintenance. The most frequent thing I do is replace micro logs. Sometimes I will replace a larger logbook or plastic baggie. I also have some wet wipes and towels for cleaning up caches and some flagging tape for micros in the forest. :) It would be a rare situation where I replace a container, but I do carry as small lock n lock as well.

I do carry a cache doctering kit.. (that reminds me... I need to add some zip ties). I have had the honor of meeting most of the prolific hiders in my area, and know them to be be good cache owners. I know that they respond quickly to a couple of DNF's (if that is not expected) and respond quickly to need maintenance notes. That being said, I have no problem, switching out a film canister if the lid finally gives way... adding another page to the logs, trading out the baggie for a more sturdy water proof one.. I have also changed out containers for people I do not know, because it was obvious by the contents that the container just cracked, and I wanted to preserve the contents.. It had nothing to do with the responsibility of the owner, but for the people behind me. It was a cool cache in a place that is VERY likely to get soaked. I left a note saying what I did, and was thanked the next day.

It is annoying to come across a long line of abandoned or unchecked caches, and I have no problem posting a note with a needs archived and or maintenance note.. It is just a a situation by situation thing.

everyone agreed it was good to replace logs, bags, and containers.

Not everyone. I tend to be more judgmental than that. I tend to repair caches based upon the amount of physical/mental effort the hider used in creating it. I will gladly make a multi-mile return trip to replace a full or damaged log in a quality hide. But I will not waste so much as a second of what time I have left repairing a crappy hide.

Fixing crappy hides strips the owners of such drivel of the learning experience. Since they don't get to go out and fix their crappy cache themselves, they are oft left with the impression that their crappy cache is perfectly acceptable, and hide more of them.

Don't be a crappy cache enabler. B)

[snip]

Sometimes the "help" seems more about claiming a find. People throw down replacement caches to "help" and, replace logsheets on nanos/micros that have been abandoned to help, but for some people you wonder if it's a community service or more about getting a smiley. Often times the harder options, NM or NA are more of a community service.

I agree with this concern in my area. I came upon a micro hidden in the form of a medicine tube the other day. Someone had thrown down another cache even though the original container was still in the zone. Some of our group found the original cache, while others found the new one. Neither was in the right spot according to the hint we checked afterward. Some people need to be less afraid to post a DNF if they aren't even willing to take the time properly search a 30' GZ.

Of course, maybe the original cache was missing at the time and was brought back later by a muggle? Either way, I am not interested in just dropping a new container (especially for a C&D) simply because I cannot find it. I never plan to assume am 'that good', no matter how many finds I end up with.

Also, I would wait until digital logs of NM or other issues were a least two weekends old before acting on behalf of a cache owner I do not know. Just sayin'

Sounds like a lot of cachers do check the logs before they just butt in though. I think that's nice. I would appreciate it if I just wasn't able to get out there in a reasonable amount of time.

I'll clean out, replace a log, or even temp fix a container if the owner's still around and the cache is in a good location.

- But the 100+ pill bottle every .1 crowd need to have a bit of responsibility for the type of container they've thrown behind every bush.

If it's a crappy container and hide, I'd feel I'm not helping the CO, but contributing to the problem, making it acceptable to place less than good containers in poor locations.

Some caches deserve to die and I'm happy to let them. It's the CO's responsibility to take care of the cache, not anyone else's, but that being said, if I enjoyed the journey to the cache, and the cache is big enough to hold a log and "worth saving", I generally help out.

I carry replacement logs in small sturdy zip-locks to replace logs to wet to sign. If the cache is damaged or no longer water-tight I'll post a "NM" log and maybe zip-lock the contents if they aren't already soaked. If the cache isn't being maintained, I'll post a "NA" log. If the CO hasn't been on the website in six months, I generally post an "NA" log, or if it's a cache worth saving post a "needs adoption or archive" log to alert anyone local

I agree, let them die, perhaps we can have an online funeral home for caches that need to go. am happy to fix any cache above an eclipse tin and carry logs etc. We like remote caches so we try and be prepared. Perhaps caches need a flag on them to indicate if owners aren't playing anymore so they can be adopted.

Edited by wyrdsister

I'm new at this only 38 caches so far. Many of them have been wet and some with water still in the container. The first time I used a sweatshirt it the car to dry out the container and put it back. Recently I found a few wet ones and had napkins in the car to dry the container. Then I put the log on my ac vents for a while. Then turn it over and waited some more. When it feels dry I put it back. Today I did that for 2 and thought, gee I wish I had a book to read while I wait.

I never thought of a repair kit. I think I'll make one.

But what do you do if you can't dry a soaked log ( like if your hiking and don't have ac vents)? Do you put a wet log in with a new dry log?

My outlook has evolved. Eight/Nine years ago I was inclined to help local caches in need. There were only a few bad apples back then. It's much worse now. I am becoming much more selective about volunteer maintenance. Far to many crappy micro's are put in high traffic areas with a tiny log and a somebody else will fix it maintenance plan. Add to that how many water collecting containers are being used. I am much more likely to mark unmaintained caches for archival than fix them now. If a volunteer maintainer fixes a cache, maintenance attributes are most often not removed. Soon a clean cache page is going to be a rare find. And don't look to Groundspeak for NM help. It has to be a NA to interest them. The only thing most NM's are good for is to help identify caches that also need an NA. I am only too happy to provide it. But for every crappy cache/owner combination that gets killed off, more pop up in their place. Cockroaches are easier to control.

But what do you do if you can't dry a soaked log ( like if your hiking and don't have ac vents)? Do you put a wet log in with a new dry log?

If possible i.e small I put one in a new bag seperate or they both end up mucked up if not of room a sheet of paper suffices, I make sure the cache owner is aware. I keep very small zip bags with tiny logs just for this purpose.

It depends for me. I used to do all that, clean out the cache add a new log but now i don't and it because like others have said half the time you're doing the CO's job for them, it means they can continue ignoring the cache.

So many cachers round here place a cache and then don't go back to it but if i know the CO and know they would go to it if i simply logged a NM then i will normally do it for them and let them know and I normally find the same for me. The cachers in my area will change a log for me or dry out a cache because they know I don't ignore my caches.

I carry a small cache repair kit, and a towel to dry out wet containers. I will add a sheet to the log, replace a blinkey log that is full, dry out a wet container (assuming its otherwise water tight) and do anything I can other than change the container. I figure it's my way of giving back.

I recently returned from caching in Florida where my experience was that about one cache in four had a wet log or torn zip-lock. I didn't keep track but I repaired about 50 caches (small or larger) and posted NM logs on a dozen others where I couldn't fix the damage or didn't have supplies (I don't carry nano or bison tube logs). Here's what I noticed: Two COs thanked me for fixing their cache, two others said thanks for the NM heads up. The great majority of COs did not respond or acknowledge the help. Nearly all of the caches had previous logs indicating the log was wet or unsignable, or that the cache was damaged, or both. Repairs were attempted by only two other finders prior to my search, though lots of caches I found in good shape had been repaired by the CO or previous finders. My rather obvious conclusion is that many COs expect others to repair their caches and that most cachers won't do it. Seems odd to me. (If I'm at the cache, the repair is easy to do, and it saves the CO a trip, so why not help out? On the other hand, why bother if the CO doesn't care?) After noticing this, I feel more inclined to post an NM log than to do a repair, and then to follow up with a NA log when the NM log is ignored by the CO (as most are). To put this is in perspective, three quarters of all caches that I have posted an NM or NA log have ended up being archived, most by the Reviewer with no response from the CO. My records show that 178 caches were archived after an NM or NA log I posted while only 65 (27%) were repaired...

edexter

To put this is in perspective, three quarters of all caches that I have posted an NM or NA log have ended up being archived, most by the Reviewer with no response from the CO. My records show that 178 caches were archived after an NM or NA log I posted while only 65 (27%) were repaired...

edexter

Very interesting. Got me curious about my stats. I looked at the NMs I placed in 2015.

100 NMs

• 63 are now archived.
  • 54 were archived by the reviewer.
  • 9 archived by the CO.
  • Of the 9 who archived their own caches, 8 waited until an NA was posted, and the reviewer disabled the cache.

April 2011. Log "Needs Maintenance" on a cache that's full of water.

Between April 2011 and March 2016 1 other needs maintenance logs was issued and 55 finds of which 23 mention a wet log or container. in 8 of the 55 logs someone mentions that they replaced a log or a container.

That's almost 5 years and the cache is still active. Not one owners maintenance log in that time. The owner was last active August of 2015.

The cache owner has no vested interest in this cache. They've had to do nothing to keep it because other cachers have been doing it for them. The problem is not only replacing logs and containers but mentioning issues in "found it" logs instead of "needs maintenance" logs.

I noticed another cache that has 6 DNF's in a row over the last 8 months. Cache owner last logged on July 2014.

Question. Would this string of DNF's pop up on a reviewers radar?

I will replace log sheets or plastic baggies but I will not replace the container without owners permission. I don't want any one doing it to mine so I do the same. Some of mine have specialty containers but some just simple ones but really don't like when they try to replace and it turns out the cache is still there.

I didn't place the cache, I only find or not find it. I don't expect anyone to look after my caches, in fact I would rather a NM posted than someone trying to fix my "stuff up" because I did not get the cache right in the first place.

So therefore, if the cache I find that is not my own and needs some TLC, depending on the amount, the first option is message the owner. The second, and the one more finders should be using, is the NM.

It is not my job to prop up somebody else's cache for any reason. If it is damaged or wrong or funky, NM it. Watch it and if nothing happens, NA it and let someone else have a go. Let's start to clean the game up and get rid of propped up caches!

I didn't place the cache, I only find or not find it. I don't expect anyone to look after my caches, in fact I would rather a NM posted than someone trying to fix my "stuff up" because I did not get the cache right in the first place.

So therefore, if the cache I find that is not my own and needs some TLC, depending on the amount, the first option is message the owner. The second, and the one more finders should be using, is the NM.

It is not my job to prop up somebody else's cache for any reason. If it is damaged or wrong or funky, NM it. Watch it and if nothing happens, NA it and let someone else have a go. Let's start to clean the game up and get rid of propped up caches!

I agree with everything you say. How long after the Needs Maintenance would you wait to post a Need archived?

I agree with everything you say. How long after the Needs Maintenance would you wait to post a Need archived?

I give it 1 month.

But if the cache owner isn't playing anymore and hasn't played in a year or more, I might give it 2 weeks since it's pretty much pointless to prolong the NA.

How long after the Needs Maintenance would you wait to post a Need archived?

I give it 1 month.

But if the cache owner isn't playing anymore and hasn't played in a year or more, I might give it 2 weeks since it's pretty much pointless to prolong the NA.

Yeah, it really depends on the situation. In my area, there's one cache owner that's known to have left geocaching many years ago and lots of their caches have already been archived by reviewers for non-maintenance. If I find that one of their caches has been destroyed or is otherwise in need of significant maintenance, I've gone straight to NA without ever posting an NM, and the reviewer has archived the cache within about a day.

I would agree with the timelines mentioned above: wait a month to post an NA, less if the CO is inactive. COs get emailed a copy of all logs posted and can choose to respond or ignore immediately. Typically if a CO doesn't respond to an NM within a week, they aren't going to, so a month is certainly enough time to wait for a response that takes 15 seconds to type and send. As a side note, if it takes an NA log and a Reviewer disablement to motivate a CO to repair their cache, you can expect their other caches will have the same level of care...Adopting out a cache you don't want to maintain is an easy but seldom used option.

edexter

I recently returned from caching in Florida where my experience was that about one cache in four had a wet log or torn zip-lock. I didn't keep track but I repaired about 50 caches (small or larger) and posted NM logs on a dozen others where I couldn't fix the damage or didn't have supplies (I don't carry nano or bison tube logs). Here's what I noticed: Two COs thanked me for fixing their cache, two others said thanks for the NM heads up. The great majority of COs did not respond or acknowledge the help. Nearly all of the caches had previous logs indicating the log was wet or unsignable, or that the cache was damaged, or both. Repairs were attempted by only two other finders prior to my search, though lots of caches I found in good shape had been repaired by the CO or previous finders.

Curious, of those that you found in disrepair - how many of them had an existing NM attribute? I understand that issues were noted in some Found It logs, but still curious about how many had previous NM's. I tend to be a bit more forgiving if caches have issues, but those issues had only been mentioned in Found It logs and previous finders didn't log NM's.

I would agree with the timelines mentioned above: wait a month to post an NA, less if the CO is inactive. COs get emailed a copy of all logs posted and can choose to respond or ignore immediately. Typically if a CO doesn't respond to an NM within a week, they aren't going to, so a month is certainly enough time to wait for a response that takes 15 seconds to type and send. As a side note, if it takes an NA log and a Reviewer disablement to motivate a CO to repair their cache, you can expect their other caches will have the same level of care...Adopting out a cache you don't want to maintain is an easy but seldom used option.

edexter

I've adopted a few caches with the intention of archiving them and replacing them with something new. It helps to control the cache and the location while you work on a replacement. Once the cache is archived the area is up for grabs. I've learned that lesson the hard way.

Replying to noncentric:

Of the 50 or so caches, A few had a preexisting NM log, no response from the CO but several more finds before my arrival. Typically there were repeated references to a wet log, occasionally someone else would replace it, then it would get wet again. This was especially true for decon can hides, three quarters of which I found with water inside them and a wet log inside a zip-lock. GCGECV is a typical example. Container was a 35mm film canister. I found it on 3/11/16 with a broken top and a wet log and posted a NM log. When I logged it on line and reviewed the history I noticed there was a previous NM log more than a year earlier (1/11/15) with four finds since. The CO disabled the cache on 3/14/16 but has yet to replace or archive it.

edexter

Edited by edexter

As a followup Re: GCGECV

Here's the chronology:

3/11/16 I post an NM log

3/14/16 Co disables cache saying "Please stand by while I decide whether to replace this one again."

6/1/16 Reviewer asks "what's up" and suggests archiving if it's not going to be replaced.

8/3/16 Now five months since my NM log, 17 months since first NM log

This is all too typical of "CO maintenance"

Here's my rap on it:

Cache Maintenance Styles: Type 1 The Hawk: CO checks out dnf logs and repairs caches as needed within a week or two. If a cache hasn't been logged in a year or so, does a maintenance check and logs it. Type 2 The Dove: Acknowledges repeated dnfs and needs maintenance logs and disables cache when they mount up; repairs cache in a month or two. Type 3 The Turkey aka Blanche DuBois: Ignores dnfs, and needs maintenance logs, may or may not disable cache, may promise repair which does not materialize, may tell YOU to fix it, or logs "it's there" without checking or just archives the cache rather than repair it. Lots of Turkeys out there....

I give it 1 month.

This sounds tedious - many cachers find dozens of caches each month. So on a given day they post NM. Now they should put this on their calendar or tickler file to post the NA after the acceptable number of weeks wait?? Or is this best left for the next Cacher or reviewer to do?

I give it 1 month.

This sounds tedious - many cachers find dozens of caches each month. So on a given day they post NM. Now they should put this on their calendar or tickler file to post the NA after the acceptable number of weeks wait?? Or is this best left for the next Cacher or reviewer to do?

Yes, it does.

I rarely ever go back to look at a cache.

No reason to other than maybe years later, reminiscing.

I'll place a NM and move on. If there's already a buncha NMs, I'll place a NA.

- But I'm not gonna actually hit the tickle file for a reminder a month later.

That's acting like one who enjoys screwing people over the drama, and there's another thread already discussing that ad nauseam ..

I give it 1 month.

If you feel the cache is not being maintained or is abandoned what's wrong with taking the initiative and getting it fixed up or removed? Let's not leave it for the next cacher or expect reviewers to do our job for us.

Yes it can be a little tedious but to improve the quality of caches out there people need to start stepping up and stop worrying about offending everyone. As a cache owner I welcome NM"s. I see them as a responsible cacher helping me keep my caches in order. I'd actually be disappointed if there was something wrong with one of my caches and they didn't say anything.

Use NM's & NA's wisely but use them.

If you feel the cache is not being maintained or is abandoned what's wrong with taking the initiative and getting it fixed up or removed? Let's not leave it for the next cacher or expect reviewers to do our job for us.

Yes it can be a little tedious but to improve the quality of caches out there people need to start stepping up and stop worrying about offending everyone. As a cache owner I welcome NM"s. I see them as a responsible cacher helping me keep my caches in order. I'd actually be disappointed if there was something wrong with one of my caches and they didn't say anything.

Wholeheartedly agree with justintim1999.

I give it 1 month.

Thank you justin1999.

Yesterday I felt that a couple of responses questioned my mental health for wanting to help improve the quality of caches in the places I cache. I was ready to throw in the towel and stop bothering to log NMs and NAs. What's the point if most people seem not to care about the growing problem of abandoned set-em-and-forget-em caches.

Thankfully there are a few cachers who still care about quality and will say so in the forums, at the risk of being labelled with the derisive term "cache cop".

I'm fortunate that the reviewer who normally handles my NAs seems to value my contribution. I've never felt I've overstepped even though I tend to log a lot of NAs, 76 in 2015, 74 are now archived. 2 are currently active. 1 replaced with a better container (gave it a fav point when I went back to find it); the other one replaced by the owner - lasted 5 months then went missing again, currently 8 DNFs in a row over 3 months, 1 NM, no response from the owner.

Going through my NMs and posting NAs when there is no response from cache owners, is easy:

• Go to https://www.geocaching.com/my/default.aspx
  • Click the "Geocaches" link in the "Quick View" links at the top of the page
  • Click the "Needs Maintenance" link in the "Show" field under "Your Geocaching Logs This Month"
  • You get a handy list of the all of the NMs you posted with dates