Today's new caches

There's some new caches out today. In case you haven't seen them, I won't spoil the fun, but for those who have solved them and logged, or tried to, a number have already been locked before anyone has FTFed them, and I've found a couple of my logged finds have been deleted with no explanation.

Given they've come from the very top, surely this isn't in the spirit of the game?

:blink:

Someone commented that maybe the log and its effects won't stick after today...so of course I had to try it. Hm, lookit that shiny new souvenir on my page... :anitongue:

If they're loggable...and meant to be silly fun...

The irony is that these joke finds aren't all that different from what some people consider acceptable "Found It" logging practices.

I'm guessing Groundspeak didn't expect to see any find logs and therefore didn't bother to initially lock the pages.

Edited by CanadianRockies

There's some new caches out today. In case you haven't seen them, I won't spoil the fun, but for those who have solved them and logged, or tried to, a number have already been locked before anyone has FTFed them, and I've found a couple of my logged finds have been deleted with no explanation.

Given they've come from the very top, surely this isn't in the spirit of the game?

Get in the spirit and tell the rest of us what you're talking about.

Viewing your recent finds (not the usual way I get a cache list :rolleyes:), I found a bunch of strange "puzzle caches", solved the Seattle one, and I'm not sure I solved the puzzle fully, but I watched a video.

Edited by kunarion

Someone commented that maybe the log and its effects won't stick after today...so of course I had to try it. Hm, lookit that shiny new souvenir on my page... :anitongue:

The irony is that these joke finds aren't all that different from what some people consider acceptable "Found It" logging practices.

I'm guessing Groundspeak didn't expect to see any find logs and therefore didn't bother to initially lock the pages.

I have no idea! Some of them have many, many found it logs...whoops! Obviously they go along with their new cache sizes, so that's part of the joke...maybe they thought that everyone would log DNF "Too small to even see, let alone log!" but really...they should have known!

I have no idea! Some of them have many, many found it logs...whoops! Obviously they go along with their new cache sizes, so that's part of the joke...maybe they thought that everyone would log DNF "Too small to even see, let alone log!" but really...they should have known!

Some claim that there's actually a puzzle to be solved (more than watching the video, I assume) and there actually caches to be found (and have posted pictures, but I'm not convinced the "real" finds and photo's aren't april fools jokes as well.

There is at least one that is in an area not accessable to the public. I know, because I'm there, too. Go figure!

If they would have thought this through a bit more they could have mucked with the javascript a bit and had the "Log as Found" button go to an "April Fools" page. Instead they're going to be spending programming time to delete logs and redacting inadvertently awarded souvenirs that they could be spending on bug fixing and working on some of the features that haven't been implemented.

I noticed that the number of caches owned by "Catches Her Arm" (which is an anagram for Charter Scam Eh...I figured a Canadian was behind this) is down from just over 100 to 85. Some are marked as disabled, apparently some have been archived and deleted, and I found a few that were archived with the following reviewer note:

"All volunteer reviewers have been informed to pass this information along. Because geocaching has reached a level of saturation, the Lackey Team has decided that the number of caches should now remain constant. New cache submissions for placements will now be placed in a queue until an existing cache gets archived. If the next cache in the queue has any guideline issues or questions, that question will be deferred to the cache owner and the next cache will be reviewed. Once the issue is settled, it will return to the queue in the back of the line. Requests for unarchival will also be placed at the end of the queue"

I suppose if reviewers are tasked with cleaning up the mess at least one has a sense of humor about it.

// all these finds, make me feel dirty

It's a red herring, guys. Someone's not proud of their JavaScript, which is heavy on the find() function and therefore potentially slow. Though given the context - parsing user-entered text when updating coords of a puzzle - it shouldn't matter.

If it works, ship it. :yikes:

EDIT: Having looked at it some more, wow, that's an amazing code statement, split as it is across ten physical lines, and relying on a whole pile of intermediate steps to all work. Hmm, maybe I'll keep backup copies of my puzzle solutions for a while...

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Already read about them in this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=309240

B.

I noticed that the number of caches owned by "Catches Her Arm" (which is an anagram for Charter Scam Eh...I figured a Canadian was behind this)

Also an anagram for Hamster Cache

Doh! One of the sillier April Fool I've seen. How much time and effort went into this? And how much to delete all the finds and souvenirs? And, no notice that my find had been deleted!

Thanks. It was fun!

Aw, the find and souvenir are gone...but no April Fool's souvenir to replace. Oh, well. Fun while it lasted!

You know, they should have given an April Fool's souvenir for those that played along. :laughing:

You know: That's what I thought. A souvenir would be appropriae for those of us fools who played along with the April Fool joke.

Did anyone here dip trackables in any of these caches? I'm curious if those trackable logs have been deleted. I'd check myself, but all of the caches have been retracted now, and I didn't have the foresight to bookmark one such trackable. It sounds like the souvenirs have been automatically cleaned up, though.

Aw, the find and souvenir are gone...but no April Fool's souvenir to replace. Oh, well. Fun while it lasted!

You know, they should have given an April Fool's souvenir for those that played along. :laughing:

You know: That's what I thought. A souvenir would be appropriae for those of us fools who played along with the April Fool joke.

A souvenir that said, you got pwned! :laughing:

A souvenir that said, you got pwned! :laughing:

Precisely. :D

Did anyone here dip trackables in any of these caches? I'm curious if those trackable logs have been deleted. I'd check myself, but all of the caches have been retracted now, and I didn't have the foresight to bookmark one such trackable. It sounds like the souvenirs have been automatically cleaned up, though.

Nope; didn't think of it until after I'd logged my one find. I would guess so, but I'm curious, too.

I was going to ask if they played any pranks today. But guess I got my answer. There is a new one near me but something doesn't add up, cached since 2009, 5 finds from SF who never heard of and two cachers from other areas congratulate the CO. But our reviewer published it and usually on the 1st it's outsiders or Lackeys. It's only up the street from me but I am stuck here til 12midnight.

Yea I discovered a site bug when my find log the KS Speedway Signal'S Time Machine was Archived. It knocked my counts out of sync where one part of my profile would show 430 finds while another part shows 429 finds. I did some tests to reproduce the issue on another cache (and the bug happened on my cache) and discovered a work around to fix that Profile issue. The work around is to log a new find somewhere and it should bring the counter back in sync, you can also change that find log into a note if it wasn't a actual find.

I also reported the bug to the Site Bug Reporting Fourm.

Yea I discovered a site bug when my find log the KS Speedway Signal'S Time Machine was Archived. It knocked my counts out of sync where one part of my profile would show 430 finds while another part shows 429 finds. I did some tests to reproduce the issue on another cache (and the bug happened on my cache) and discovered a work around to fix that Profile issue. The work around is to log a new find somewhere and it should bring the counter back in sync, you can also change that find log into a note if it wasn't a actual find.

Not sure how this relates to this topic. This about April Fool's Day caches.

Not sure how this relates to this topic. This about April Fool's Day caches.

Well, it does relate. If people logged the April Fool's caches, their finds were deleted. However, a site bug has the correct count in one place and the original, pre-deletion cache count in another spot. It doesn't go away, either. So, if you wish to make things right in the world, you need to follow sawblade5's advice. It does work...and it worked for me. :)

Nope; didn't think of it until after I'd logged my one find. I would guess so, but I'm curious, too.

Yes. My geocoin's visit was eliminated.