It's time to make the FTF game legit.

Roman!

Wow...sometimes OPs don't even need to put bait on the hook!

I say 'BAN first to finds'... 'BAN them completely, no-one should be allowed to be FTF on any cache ever again'

Here's the irony, without FTFs geocaching does not exist.

Actually...it does...I have plenty...went I don't record them...and still...somehow...geocaching is still active in the area...and more surprising...the caches I found first but didn't say anything about being first were not sucked up in some weird geocaching black hole!!!

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

No...

...But, if need be...I would just stop hiding caches...simple enough...and I would leave the code in a cache if I were ever first to find...

^ ^ ^

This.

I have never considered geocaching as a competition of any sort, and I'm not likely to start now. All the FTFs I've listed in my profile were either accidental (I happened to be at the right place at the right time), or the cache was so close to my home location it was a no-brainer. I will not race my fellow cachers to a new cache, I'm perfectly happy to let them be the beta testers. I take no particular pride, and get no particular joy, out of being the first to find.

If any such system were implemented, I wouldn't participate. If it became a required part of the "game" I would no longer place caches. If worse came to worse, I would find another way to get my exercise.

My vote is an emphatic NO.

--Larry

When a CO creates a new cache they are given an FTF code they put in the cache which a finder then logs on GC.com and is credited with the FTF. The code may only be used by one person.

We can the create a leader board much like cacherstats.com to see who truly is the best FTF hound, no that's my idea of fun.

How does that prevent someone creating a Sock Puppet to hide caches for the real cacher to be FTF?

When a CO creates a new cache they are given an FTF code they put in the cache which a finder then logs on GC.com and is credited with the FTF. The code may only be used by one person.

We can the create a leader board much like cacherstats.com to see who truly is the best FTF hound, no that's my idea of fun.

It sounds like you want to take what is currently a side game that a lot of geocachers have no interest in playing and making it mandatory for a CO to be part of that game. I suspect that for some cache owners, rather than be forced to participate by placing a FTF code in new caches, they'll choose not to place any new caches.

Creating a "leaderboard" is even less meaninful for "the best FTF" hound than it is for the total of caches found. For those that have the luxury of living in a place where a lot of new caches are being placed they can achieve a high spot on the leader board, but in most places in the world the number of FTF opportunities pales in comparison to what you see in areas with a lot of people placing new caches. I don't exactly live in the middle of nowhere but there have been several periods of time of several months when there were only a handful of new caches placed. A few years ago, over a 4+ month period there were less than 5 caches placed within 30 miles.

Of course the flipside of that is that in areas with lots of caches placed there are also lots of other people who will race you for FTF.

I gave up on this thread when I figured out the OP couldn't really be serious, He is just trying to get a reaction from the forums. However, I noticed the following quote, and thought how absolutely silly this whole idea is.

There are still some bugs to work out but if the code is reported gone and not logged in a timely fashion an investigation is done and the person not logging it is banned.

You want to take it from a side game that a few people enjoy, and make it mandatory for the rest. AT THE TREAT OF BEING BANNED IF WE DON'T PLAY??????? WOW, just WOW. :blink: :blink: :blink:<_<