Android - WhereYouGo issue getting started

mattscully

I am trying to do my first Wherigo. Having an Android, I downloaded WhereYouGo and I downloaded the cartridge in PocketPC format. I am trying out GC2BA3H - Bethpage State Park Bike Path.

When I start the cartridge I get the error - "Simulation Mode Play of this Cartridge has been disabled". I hit OK and it brings me back to the program, but there are no locations or anything else. I thought this was because I wasn't close to the start, so I went to the location, started it and it worked.. I didn't have my bike with me so I couldn't do the Wherigo, but I did walk out the first part and answered the questions an saved it. I exited.. went to restart it and I got the same "Simulation Mode Play..." error, then the cartridge wouldn't start. I went to Applications and forced stopped the app.. and when I started it, it started. Shut it down, restarted and got the error again. Now, no matter what I do, I get the "Simulation Mode Play..." error again and it will not start.

Any ideas?

You did not say how you downloaded the cartridge. You cannot download the cartridge using the default browser and just use it. You have 2 options here.

1. Download the cartridge to your PC, then connect your phone to your PC and copy it to your Whereyougo folder.

2. Install a different browser on your phone (I don't recall which one(s) work) and download the cartridge using THAT browser. I would expect someone else will be along and tell which browser works or you can search the forums for the info.

Good luck.

I downloaded it to my PC and copied it over to the phone. The phone is a Galaxy S3 running 4.1.2.

i am trying work thought the same issules on my thunderbolt.... android, also having issule downloading them to my computer and its a windows 7 os

Edited by flyingk2006

I'll describe the process I go through on my Android tablet.

First, I open WhereYouGo and click "Start". This forces the app to create the folder if it doesn't already exist. I then open either Chrome or Firefox and go to the Wherigo site. I select the cartridge and download the Pocket PC version. The browser doesn't give me a choice where to download it. I then open a file system app that was installed on the tablet when I got it (some sort of Asus file manager). I go to the tablet's internal memory and a "Downloads" directory within that. I select to cut the file. I then go to one of my external memory cards and look for a "WhereYouGo" directory in its root. If I find one, I copy the file into it. Next, I go back into WhereYouGo and list the cartridges again. Usually, this does the trick. If not, I shut the app down and restart it. If it doesn't display the cartridge, I go into the file manager and copy the cartridge to the other external card (I have an Asus Transformer, which allows me to have two 64GB cards connected to it at the same time, plus a USB drive).

I'll describe the process I go through on my Android tablet.

First, I open WhereYouGo and click "Start". This forces the app to create the folder if it doesn't already exist. I then open either Chrome or Firefox and go to the Wherigo site. I select the cartridge and download the Pocket PC version. The browser doesn't give me a choice where to download it. I then open a file system app that was installed on the tablet when I got it (some sort of Asus file manager). I go to the tablet's internal memory and a "Downloads" directory within that. I select to cut the file. I then go to one of my external memory cards and look for a "WhereYouGo" directory in its root. If I find one, I copy the file into it. Next, I go back into WhereYouGo and list the cartridges again. Usually, this does the trick. If not, I shut the app down and restart it. If it doesn't display the cartridge, I go into the file manager and copy the cartridge to the other external card (I have an Asus Transformer, which allows me to have two 64GB cards connected to it at the same time, plus a USB drive).

Sounds like the same process I go through with my Galaxy S3, although I download the file to my laptop and copy it to storage/sdcard0/whereyougo/directory I then open the app and hit start. It gives me a message that there is no Wherigo file available and tells me to do what I just did. :(