Project a waypoint with the App?

Ram Seeker

Hey everybody,

My girlfriend and I were out for a casual stroll and decided to look for some caches. I didn't bring my Garmin because I didn't think we would need it for a few simple caches. One cache we decided to do required some math in order to get the coordinates to the "real" starting point. I could not figure out how to input the new coordinates so that the iPhone App would guide me to them. So, my question is, how do I project a waypoint using the iPhone App? Thanks!

I feel compelled to point out that marking a new waypoint is NOT the same as projecting one.

A projected waypoint is based on a particular waypoint and is XXX distance at YYY azimuth (direction) (usually entered in the same format as geocaches, but not necessarily).

I don't think any of the official smartphone apps can do this, but there ARE may apps available that can.

I feel compelled to point out that marking a new waypoint is NOT the same as projecting one.

A projected waypoint is based on a particular waypoint and is XXX distance at YYY azimuth (direction) (usually entered in the same format as geocaches, but not necessarily).

I don't think any of the official smartphone apps can do this, but there ARE may apps available that can.

I respectfully beg to differ on this. Most of the apps I have looked at have 3 options available when you select mark a new waypoint; current GPS location, manual coordinate entry, and projection from your current location. This last option is how most projection multi caches work. I do not recall seeing any apps with a built in option to do a projection from an arbitrary starting point. A secondary utility would be needed for that, but most caches would not require that.

Most of the apps I have looked at have 3 options available when you select mark a new waypoint; current GPS location, manual coordinate entry, and projection from your current location.

Many of the 3rd-party apps have a projection function. The official apps do not, as stated by AZcachemeister.

Most of the apps I have looked at have 3 options available when you select mark a new waypoint; current GPS location, manual coordinate entry, and projection from your current location.

Many of the 3rd-party apps have a projection function. The official apps do not, as stated by AZcachemeister.

WHOA, I thought I was loosing it there for a second.

Thanks for the back-up, A-Team. :)