Geocaching Challenge / Tournament

How about identifying a volunteer chain of command / state rep to organize a yearly event (per state/region?)and have a final competition in a great location once a year, get all the GPS /Map guys to sponsor it. Have teams / individuals compete by fastest time / degree of difficulty - Garmin vs Magellen. I am a soldier and this could generate a lot new members looking to use there personal GPS for something other than LandNav Courses we have to do -

I've attended one geocache gathering in Syracuse and will attend the gathering in Western NY this weekend to discuss formation of a NY Geocaching organization and kickoff the 1st annual Cannonball Run TB Race. The idea of a Geocaching "supermeeting" is fantastic but after reading the many responses posted so far, I think it would be too big of an undertaking. There were so many great ideas but the cons look overwhelming. I'd jump at the opportunity to attend such a gathering, personal cost be damned, and wish this industrious geocacher good luck.