Geocaching Starter Kit

farrtom

I am helping put together a Geocaching "starter kit" that we are donating to be in a silent auction at a annual fundraiser.

The kit will include a GPS unit and a set of three geocoins.

We would like suggestions for items to include in the kit.

What items would you have liked to have had when you got started geocaching?

Is there a intro to geocaching book that you would recommend?

I haven't read it, but know the author, so have to recommend "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Geocaching" as a book.

As far as what to include, general gear would be great - backpack, small first aid kit, nalgene bottle, flashlight, etc.

Anything that you could use as tradeable swag in caches you find.

And of course, any clothing or general gear from http://shop.geocaching.com

Edit to add, I now see the shop has starter kits available for sale too: http://shop.geocaching.com/default/starter-kits/

Edited by KoosKoos

I am helping put together a Geocaching "starter kit" that we are donating to be in a silent auction at a annual fundraiser.

The kit will include a GPS unit and a set of three geocoins.

We would like suggestions for items to include in the kit.

What items would you have liked to have had when you got started geocaching?

Is there a intro to geocaching book that you would recommend?

Power monkey so much better than batteries

A Leathernman multi type tool would be fantastic, or a swiss army knife with the pull out tweezer feature. A headlamp would be prefered over a flashlight......

A pen and a pencil........

An extra log sheet to replace the first worn out one they find. : )

Edit: I mentioned something about not putting knives in caches....are we talking about swag items to put in a cache or more like door prize items for an event?

Edited by Chief301

A Leathernman multi type tool would be fantastic, or a swiss army knife with the pull out tweezer feature. A headlamp would be prefered over a flashlight......

Edit: I mentioned something about not putting knives in caches....are we talking about swag items to put in a cache or more like door prize items for an event?

My reply was based on the topic and first post of the thread. Did I miss something? Or did you.........? : )

My reply was based on the topic and first post of the thread. Did I miss something? Or did you.........? : )

Thanks for all the input. What I was / am asking is for if you were just starting to geocache and knew what you know now about caching, what would you have liked to have had. I have some of my own ideas from my experience but I was interested in hearing other opinions as well.

I am giving them a ammo can to start their own cache so it could be swag items but it could be things to take with you while caching. I am going to include a introduction to geocaching book as well.